Author Topic: What's performance like once a sidecar is installed?  (Read 4387 times)

jest2dogs

• Grease Monkey
As noted in another thread in the sidecar venue, I have ridden a BMW sidehack  (many years ago ,1981, from El Paso to Port Angeles) but I do not know what the performance is like on the wee Bullet once it starts draggin' a sidehack around. And, as I considering the addition of a sidecar to my Bullet....

I have a 2006 Classic 500 ES upgraded with 30 mm Amal carb, shorty exhaust, S&B air filter and an 18 tooth countershaft sprocket for better road performance. I realize that gearing may be a little high for fulltime hack use. But would it suffice for seasonal use?

I see that the new catalog now offers a changeable rear hub where one can swap out rear sprockets. This would probably be much easier to do than a countershaft change, especially if done seasonally (if need be).

Is anyone using an 18t now with their sidecar/Bullet combo? What's your take on the setup?

What is the cruising speed with the 17 tooth (or equivalent) gearing ratio?

How much time is involved with installation/removal once the initial setup parameters have been determined. Or does the sidecar have to be "re-calibrated" every time it is installed?

Is the Bullet holding up well with the combination?

I am hoping that the Guv'mint reinstates the 55 mph limit for realistic fuel conservation. Then the Bullet would be rideable on the Interstates!  Not that that is particularly appealing, but...

-Jesse, mullin' the possibilities.
"Ennie" 2006 RE Bullet Classic 500 (currently undergoing a facelift)
Commuter Scooter Commuted to "Otherside"
"Geezer" 2007 Moto Guzzi Breva 750 died and reborn as yet, un-named, 2005 Moto Guzzi Breva 750,
and...the newest stablemate, also un-named, my crazy Russian 2015 Ural cT.

VMAX

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1 on: July 05, 2008, 03:47:13 am
2Dogs:

I drive a '05 Classic 500 ES w/a Cozy Bullet, GREEN machine. Green goes faster  ;D

I have 2200+ miles on her. The car does not come off. It could but the camber & toein are set and I don't want to mess it up.

Most of your upgrades I have on my ride. I do have the 18T & I find that I can run at 50-55 mph w/o much problem. That's the max that I go anyway. Preformance is pretty good.

My Bullet is holding up quite well. The car has been on it from the beginning.

I can't address all your ?s but maybe others can. I do enjoy my combo as it gives me more flexibility with what I can do/carry. Besides I'm no longer in a real need for speed  ;)
Ride Safe - Check 6 - REA #9
05' RE 500 Classic Bullet ES w/Cozy Bullet
Liberator Motorcycle Ministry

calman28556

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: July 05, 2008, 11:54:29 pm
I can't compare my 08 Bullet  Electra since I picked up it "right out of the box" with the Rocket Sidecar installed.   But I got 65 MPG on the last two tanks of gas and that was running a constant 50-55 MPH.

I have see no need to remove the sidecar 'cause, at today's gas prices, it's definitely cheaper to run to the store in than in the car.  But, removing the car is suppose to take less than 30 minutes

On the Road - Again. And Again, And Again.

birdmove

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: July 06, 2008, 07:23:18 am
    That sounds like mighty good gas mileage for a sidecar rig to me. My 2007 Classic gets about 75-85. I think those Ural rigs get in the 30s??

jon
Jon in Keaau, Hawaii

VMAX

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: July 07, 2008, 03:11:17 am
I just put in 2.9 gals and had 199 miles rounds out to 68.6 mpg. I'm really liking my rig. Calman, saw you post on the proposed trip. Keep us posted. The best on your trip.  8)
Ride Safe - Check 6 - REA #9
05' RE 500 Classic Bullet ES w/Cozy Bullet
Liberator Motorcycle Ministry