Author Topic: What is this on C5?  (Read 3239 times)

palace15

• Bulleteer
on: January 28, 2014, 02:14:46 pm
Hi Guys today I am trying to sort out my non starting issues, can anyone tell me what this is and what it does? I removed by undoing 1 'star' headed screw from the lefthand side of the throttle body, whilst touching the wiring going into it the bike started, so somewhere i seem to have ANOTHER wiring fault :(
Thanks guys.
Dave
You will always find that women that have lost thier virginity, still have the box it came in!

Royal Enfield, making mechanics out of owners since 1893.

rvcycleguy

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 02:25:41 pm
Can't tell you but there is a lot of oil and grease in your photo.  I would suggest you determine your source of the leak which is probably affecting your wiring. 
1956 Bullet 500 (G2) Custom tank, Silencer Muffler, Powder Coated Chassis
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50 (800cc) Touring set-up. white walls, pearl white w/ ghost flames

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 02:38:30 pm
+1
Disconnect that thing and use some electrical contact cleaner to clean it up inside and out. Let it dry completely before re-connecting.
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: January 28, 2014, 03:05:59 pm
Hi Guys today I am trying to sort out my non starting issues, can anyone tell me what this is and what it does? I removed by undoing 1 'star' headed screw from the lefthand side of the throttle body, whilst touching the wiring going into it the bike started, so somewhere i seem to have ANOTHER wiring fault :(
Thanks guys.
Dave

Dave, that appears to be your Throttle position sensor.  BTW, not a good idea to remove, unless you must.  You will need to carefully re install it, and set your voltage back to around .6v.... I'm thinking that maybe you have a bad connection in the plug, or the set screw that adjusts the voltage and holds the TPS in place may have been loose, and it moved on you.
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #4 on: January 28, 2014, 03:32:20 pm
Just braved the cold garage and checked your pic against my bike, and ghg beat me to it.
Since your start issue went away when you were touching the wire at the TPS connection it is a dead giveaway that the connection issue is right there, not "somewhere else". Cleaning up the contacts in both sides of the connector will most likely get you going again.
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

palace15

• Bulleteer
Reply #5 on: January 28, 2014, 03:47:34 pm
Can't tell you but there is a lot of oil and grease in your photo.  I would suggest you determine your source of the leak which is probably affecting your wiring.

Hi, That was a cleaner/lubricant I had been spraying around !

Thanks
Dave
You will always find that women that have lost thier virginity, still have the box it came in!

palace15

• Bulleteer
Reply #6 on: January 28, 2014, 03:51:26 pm

Dave, that appears to be your Throttle position sensor.  BTW, not a good idea to remove, unless you must.  You will need to carefully re install it, and set your voltage back to around .6v.... I'm thinking that maybe you have a bad connection in the plug, or the set screw that adjusts the voltage and holds the TPS in place may have been loose, and it moved on you.

What do you mean and how do you set voltage to around .6v? I have got the bike to start now but not 100% sure why its started but now the MIL light stays on and when I turn ignition on I get no flashes from the MIL for fault finding  :-X

And many thanks for all your help so far.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 03:55:20 pm by palace15 »

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: January 28, 2014, 04:04:55 pm
What do you mean and how do you set voltage to around .6v? I have got the bike to start now but not 100% sure why its started but now the MIL light stays on and when I turn ignition on I get no flashes from the MIL for fault finding  :-X

GHG can give you more details, but here is my youtube video that shows how to test TPS output voltage -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiX8oFtYZls
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

palace15

• Bulleteer
Reply #8 on: January 28, 2014, 04:46:59 pm
So if I do not get the correct voltage readings as per the test, I take it that the TPS has a small adjustment on it, so if adjusted will the MIL go out?

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: January 28, 2014, 05:13:00 pm
I have not personally changed TPS setting, but my understanding is that altering the position of TPS will alter the voltage - the angle at which it is set would change the readings.

Since it is already taken off, take readings at different angles and see what happens.
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: January 28, 2014, 05:20:09 pm
So if I do not get the correct voltage readings as per the test, I take it that the TPS has a small adjustment on it, so if adjusted will the MIL go out?

GHG can give you more details, but here is my youtube video that shows how to test TPS output voltage -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiX8oFtYZls

YES ! Watch Singh's Video for proper hook up's with your mutli-meter.    IF you have the TPS back on , and installed correctly... and the plug back on, with a good connection,  I do not believe you should see your MIL light on.  The TPS should connect onto the throttle plate  in the back of it.  With it installed correctly.... With that star screw, in it's elongated adjustment slot.  You can move the TPS up and down to adjust the voltage.   IT MOVES EXTREMELY EASY when that star screw is very loose, and your voltage will swing all over the place!  So , tighten that screw down , so you can accurately adjust it.... You'll see what I mean. As you move the TPS up and down , you will see the Voltage change.  STOCK setting on it as a starting point is .6v .  Higher voltage= richer AFR, lower Voltage = leaner AFR.   Get it back to  .6 v as close as you can for now.   Also, unplug that Side stand switch for now, to take it out of the equation !

palace15

• Bulleteer
Reply #11 on: January 28, 2014, 05:34:43 pm
Many thanks guys, all suggestions/help welcome. It is early evening now in Uk and I am out tonight and most probably away for a number of days to visit a terminally ill friend.
So if I have not posted for a few days please accept my apologies, I am not ignoring you and once back I will keep the updates coming, hopefully it will help others.
many thanks
Dave

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: January 28, 2014, 06:16:25 pm
   BTW Dave, A word of caution... That star screw is actually a TORX head. Sorry, but I don't remember off hand right now which size.  BUT , make sure you use the correct size driver..... AND do not strip the head!  That screw is going to lock in the setting when it's tightened.   So you want a good straight shot , with your driver as you tighten it down.   On my bike, I have found that I need to move the battery out of the way, and to the right a little to get a good angle.......  Tight, but don't murder the screw, so as to not strip the head. 

If it is not tightened down correctly ?.... it will move from vibration. And so will your voltage reading. Then you will go TOO rich, or TOO lean......

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: January 28, 2014, 07:50:58 pm
Riding an RE !

Grin on face :-)

Good show Singg5  8)
moriunt omnes pauci vivunt

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: January 28, 2014, 10:11:23 pm
dave

i have had two c5's and the very 1st one had this same problem. it was the tps not connected securely via the plug. here's what  did and it worked perfectly.

1. disconnected the battery
2. pulled the tps plug apart and sprayed it with a computer type cleaning agent or mass air flow cleaner for cars
3. wiped off the excess cleaner and again seat the tps plug till you hear it click into position.
4. i feel this is what stopped you - your tps connecter plug not seated properly.
5.  connect battery

after that the bike ran well and the votage setting was not touched