Author Topic: 2008 AVL Classic Schematic  (Read 4382 times)

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
on: January 24, 2014, 08:41:32 pm
          Does anyone have a schematic for the AVL Classic that can be posted & downloaded? Or a link to an online one?

I have the schematic* for the Electra that is very similar in components, but not the same; a lot of the wire colors do not match my Classic.

I've done a lot of searching over the years & never found an AVL schematic online.

* It's dated 2/6/2010. The TCI Unit shows two connectors. Both the early black ones & the new green ones have three. The black one used all three connectors. The green one used two of them (the delay connection not being used). The TCI Unit on the 2010 Electra (according to the schematic I have) must have just two connectors; the unused one being deleted by then which is reflected on the schematic. I think Pete Snidal sent me this schematic sometime in early 2011.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 08:45:06 pm by tooseevee »
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: January 25, 2014, 06:32:04 pm
      I finally found the below website after years of wondering about various electrical things on this bike. It looks like this company has both the old original black TCI with two connectors & the new one with a third connector added (like I speculated a while back) for the spark delay unit (the little black box in the left side case). Then someone made the green one that only used two of the connectors although they still had three. I guess there is no schematic, huh?

http://royalmotorcycle.com/products.php?cats=electrical_components

If you Google TCI Unit & click images & look long enough you will find the exact one that's on an Enfield Classic, but without the third connector.
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Adrian

Reply #2 on: January 26, 2014, 11:17:53 pm
I'd be sorely tempted to rip the remains of the AVL classic wiring loom out and make up my own. I have the Electra-X diagram in the shop manual, though it is headed Bullet Electra - beware as the home market Indian model Electra was a different bike. Again the home market 350 AVL had a totally different wiring scheme from the export market 500 AVL, as it used a single phase alternator. Great, huh?

So long as your diagram shows a three-phase alternator (they might call it a magneto, which it isn't!), go with that, if it doesn't and you can't get hold of the 3ph version let me know. I will scan mine and e-mail it to you or attach it to a PM.

Regards,

A.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: January 27, 2014, 01:09:32 am
I have the Electra-X diagram in the shop manual, though it is headed Bullet Electra -
Regards,
A.

As I said in my original post, that is the schematic I HAVE.

The one with the Pulser Coil floating out there by itself. That's what caused all my original confusion. They should have drawn it inside a pictorial alternator instead of just a rectangle with two wires & I would have known right away it was the spark trigger.

Yes. My Classic has the three wire (yellow) alternator.

Why is there no schematic around showing the spark delay plugged into the 3rd plug on the black or green T.C.I/. Unit?

What model & year used the TCI Unit with only a single plug?

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: January 27, 2014, 03:22:08 am
Why is there no schematic around showing the spark delay plugged into the 3rd plug on the black or green T.C.I/. Unit?

I have an 06 Electra and no extra black box for spark delay. I'm wondering if this was a short term fix for the sprag blow outs and it was never documented in a schematic since the green box was the longer term fix. Lots of RE stuff goes undocumented.
Suppose I were an idiot, and suppose I were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. ... Mark Twain
2006 AVL Electra

Adrian

Reply #5 on: January 27, 2014, 12:44:50 pm
It was an afterthought, hence no mention in the factory wiring diagram released with the manual! I did wonder whether I should get one when I first heard about it, but then I got the Suzuki GS125 black box. Happy with that.

A.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: January 27, 2014, 01:17:21 pm
It was an afterthought, hence no mention in the factory wiring diagram released with the manual! I did wonder whether I should get one when I first heard about it, but then I got the Suzuki GS125 black box. Happy with that.

A.

Thanks, Adrian & DanB.

That's sort of what I assumed after working out all these little details with my bike's "wahrs" over the years.

I'm just glad I've got it all out of my head now. I understand now all the evolution of the one plug TCI to the two plug to the three plug (spark delay) & then back to two plugs (the green TCI).

I can get on to rewrapping the harness today if it's half-way warm down there today. The vintage style harness tape arrived yesterday. I've used it on two cars where I completely recreated & refurbished the looms & rewrapped. The next owner of this bike will never have to deal with that sticky stubborn nightmare of tape. I hope the factory stopped wrapping that much wire with that much sticky crap tape on the newer bikes.   
« Last Edit: January 27, 2014, 04:37:18 pm by tooseevee »

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: January 27, 2014, 03:05:49 pm
Wish I could get out into the garage today... -20F. Stupid cold
Suppose I were an idiot, and suppose I were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. ... Mark Twain
2006 AVL Electra

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #8 on: January 27, 2014, 10:27:49 pm
2CV
I can tell you just don't understand Indian Engineering.

Several layers of black plastic electrical tape on a bundle of wires is often referred to as an "Armored Harness".

Unlike the normal Harness with its one layer of tape, the two+ layers of plastic film "Armor" protects the wiring from impact with things like bees and June bugs at speeds up to 40 MPH.  ;D
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: January 27, 2014, 11:06:36 pm
2CV
I can tell you just don't understand Indian Engineering.

Several layers of black plastic electrical tape on a bundle of wires is often referred to as an "Armored Harness".

Unlike the normal Harness with its one layer of tape, the two+ layers of plastic film "Armor" protects the wiring from impact with things like bees and June bugs at speeds up to 40 MPH.  ;D

:)        ;D  ;D

I got a lot done today. The Bollywood wiring song & dance now looks like it actually belongs & is not really the result of an explosion inside a wire factory. I am happy. TM-32 will be here Wednesday.

Buckeroo

• Bulleteer
Reply #10 on: February 04, 2014, 06:29:29 am
I have begun mapping my 2008 electrical system.  What a rats nest.  I will remake my own and eliminate some wiring.  I had to stop mid-overhaul to move.  My 2008 is going through MAJOR internal changes.  My wiring diagram looks nothing like what is really built.
This bike was stored for 3.5 years.  It had fallen on its side for awhile. I claimed it about a year and a half ago. Thus the low miles and inexperienced owner.
2008 Bullet Electra Classic 500
Classic Frame and AVL motor
Electric Start
Electronic Ignition
5 speed
CV Carb