Author Topic: Fuel injection check ? ? ?  (Read 2431 times)

GA-DK

• Bulleteer
on: January 23, 2014, 10:10:43 pm
The last time it was warm enough to ride, my '09 G-5 hesitated in my drive and stalled in the garage.  I have spark, fuel (clean and water free), and a good battery.  How can I check to confirm that my fuel injector is functioning?   GA-DK

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 11:07:05 pm
I'm guessing the easiest way to know if the injector is working would be to try to start it.  If it starts, the injector is working.

If it doesn't start, turn the key on.  You should hear the fuel pump run until the system is up to pressure.
Then, with the key still on, use the kick starter to turn the engine crankshaft.  If the injector is working, several times per revolution it will inject a little fuel.  When it does, the fuel pump will temporarily run for a second or so to replace the injected fuel.

Just because the fuel injector is operating and the pump is running doesn't mean all is well.
My BMW K-75, a fuel injected triple ran fine for a long time and then developed missfires and pauses when I opened the throttle.  I had been running some low cost fuel to save a buck and this fuel didn't have any detergents in it to keep the fuel injector nozzles clean.

After pouring 1/4 bottle of Chevron Techron into the tank and riding the motorcycle, the engine returned to its former smooth, powerful self.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

GA-DK

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 11:23:49 pm
Thanks.  Pump runs when key is on to build up pressure.  It does not fire.  Will check for pump to come back on when it is turned over.  I have some throttle body cleaner, but wanted to check to see if injector was functioning first.  GA-DK

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: January 24, 2014, 12:28:37 am
How old is the plug?  It might be producing a small spark but could still be fouled.

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

GA-DK

• Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: January 24, 2014, 04:05:59 pm
Plug not new, but low mileage and sparking well when on top of cyl. head.  No firring at all when engine is spun with starter.  Will check again later today.  Have considered removing plug, disconnecting air box, placing a length of poly tubing containing a small quantity of throttle body cleaner between fuel pump at tank and regular fuel line, then spinning engine with starter.  With the transparent poly tubing, I could see the fuel flow and with no compression, engine will spin fast.  This should flush out injector and clean area around it.  GA-DK

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: January 24, 2014, 05:05:12 pm
Did you try to start the bike with the Bi-Starter lever ON ?
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: January 24, 2014, 05:13:02 pm
Did you try to start the bike with the Bi-Starter lever ON ?

+1...

Also, after your repeated failed start attempts. When you remove the spark plug , is it wet with fuel ?
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

GA-DK

• Bulleteer
Reply #7 on: January 24, 2014, 05:34:34 pm
Problem solved.  Tried bistart,cleaned plug, etc., all the above with no firing at all.  Removed fuel line from tank, put 1 - 2 cc of o'Rielly carb and choke cleaner in fuel line and reconnected, hit electric starter and it cranked and idled fine.  I think I had a fouled injector.  GA-DK

ROVERMAN

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: January 24, 2014, 05:36:57 pm
Whaaaat! :o :o :o. Me thinks it is time to consider a change in fuel.

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: January 24, 2014, 05:45:53 pm
     I have had a couple of injectors that had some water in them . The water blocked off fuel flow. But often the same symptoms occur when the side stand switch is bad, worn, or loosely mounted. It makes contact enough to allow starting, but engine vibration breaks the connection. One bike had the exact same symptoms. The wire connector to the battery had broken. It was held in place by the rubber cover until engine vibration moved it and it broke contact. These are some other things to check.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #10 on: January 24, 2014, 05:54:12 pm
Put a squirt of starter fluid into the intake and then crank it.  If it fires once or twice then the only thing you're missing is fuel.  If it doesn't, something else is wrong.

Scott

ROVERMAN

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: January 25, 2014, 04:56:39 pm
However you do it(safely!)+1 Scott.