Author Topic: God Bless America  (Read 1414 times)

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill

sven trials

• Scooter
Reply #1 on: January 24, 2014, 01:39:49 am
Simple and quiet moving.  My dad and uncle were in ww2, mom was a riveter for Boeing, lost my great uncle in ww1 in France.  Was it all for not??  I don't know...Wars seem to continue....

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: January 24, 2014, 03:35:48 am
my uncle was a tail gunner, my dad was in the Pacific conflict.. I lost many friends in Viet Nam , both dead and still alive :(  those of us that had friends from Nam understand ..

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #3 on: January 24, 2014, 04:48:38 am
Hear! Hear!
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

Chasfield

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: January 24, 2014, 12:20:00 pm
And sometimes those thought lost came home:

I am reading the fascinating autobiography of Gregory "Pappy" Boyington - WWII Marine Corps Aviator and top fighter ace until he was shot down and captured by the Japanese. This guy was a natural author and his sense of humor is priceless. I think he needed it to get by as a prisoner of war on the Japanese mainland in 1944 - and long since presumed dead by the US authorities.

Of many hairy moments, perhaps the hairiest of all was when his captors showed him US newpaper reports that he had been posthumously awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor - he had been rumbled.

Ordinarily, such a distinction might be well appreciated but Pappy had mixed feelings since he had pretty much yarned his captors into believing that he was some kind of pen-pushing, non-combatant staff officer, rather than a fighter hot-shot who had wiped out a couple of squadron's worth of Japanese aviators.

Luckily, his hero credentials worked in his favour, but for a while he thought that Medal of Honor was going to get him posthumous all over again!

Great bloke, great read.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 12:23:47 pm by Chasfield »
2001 500 Bullet Deluxe

single

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: January 29, 2014, 02:33:54 am
Saturday the local Patriot Guard is asked to stand a flag line in honor of a local soldier who is to have a section of road dedicated to him.We will do this at the Armory.We have constructed soldiers Crosses,one for each era starting with WW2.This local hero was lost in 2004,so it will be the desert camo Cross.Please consider our soldiers,sailors,and airmen,the sacrifices that they and their families make for the nation.