Author Topic: will an x ring chain fit?  (Read 2776 times)

dustystranger

• Scooter
on: January 22, 2014, 02:22:59 am
Has any one fitted an x ring chain on an avl enfield?  Several have said that o ring chains are too wide.  But I have a hunch that an x ring chain should be a little bit narrower?  Your personal experience would be greatly appreciated.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #1 on: January 22, 2014, 03:02:09 pm
Maybe.
Some are able to take it, and some aren't .
It's a very close fit, and it probably comes down to how close the parts are on your particular bike.

I wouldn't worry too much if it won't fit. The o - ring or x - ring chains aren't any better than a normal chain anyway.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

dustystranger

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 12:26:59 am
Ace,  I have been using a tsubaki chain and it seems ok.  What is your preference?

motomataya

• Grease Monkey
Reply #3 on: January 23, 2014, 01:09:53 am
An oring chain and xring chain are going to be about the same width. You can expect about twice the millage from a sealed chain. A high quality chain might last 7 or 8 thousand miles. a high quality sealed chain might go 15. That said you may want to go with the cheaper sealed chain because the side plates will be lighter making the chain narrower, giving more clearance.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #4 on: January 23, 2014, 03:41:59 am
I think the Tsubaki chain is fine. The H-D series is very good.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: January 23, 2014, 03:53:11 am
I think the Tsubaki chain is fine. The H-D series is very good.

+1  That's what I'm running on The Blackhawk.  I put 4,000 abusive miles on mine and I've only adjusted it once.

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: January 25, 2014, 06:32:28 pm
I had 9000 miles on my Tsubaki before it needed adjustment. Good Oring chains (Tsubaki, DID and a couple of others) on other bikes have lasted me over 30,000 miles. They are considerably better than the stock chain which, in some cases, don't make it to 10,000 miles. RE isn't the only one uses crap chains as OEM. I get three to four times the mileage out of good chains over the OEMs. Spending a little more money can save you a lot of money and time. They don't tear up sprockets like the OEM, and require less maintenance labor time. They're a win-win deal.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com