Author Topic: another VTwin option  (Read 5328 times)

RGT

• Grand Gearhead
  • '94 350 Bullet

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: January 21, 2014, 06:37:30 pm
What is the hangup on a V-Twin?
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #2 on: January 21, 2014, 09:25:11 pm
Bare

It's the easiest way to make a twin by using the available parts from the single.
To make a parallel twin would need more custom castings for a new twin head and twin barrels, which would dramatically increase the cost of the project.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: January 23, 2014, 06:48:47 pm
Bare
Everyone just wants to be like you!!

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: January 23, 2014, 08:21:27 pm
Now that'll take some work to get an Enfield engine turned to be like mine! I just wonder why no one will accept a vertical twin like Enfields used, and that they're more likely to produce. They didn't offer V-twins except very early in their existence.
bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #5 on: January 23, 2014, 08:22:41 pm
They are nice and narrow. The only "Hangup" I have found is actually buying the damn cases.
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: January 23, 2014, 08:31:12 pm
Now that'll take some work to get an Enfield engine turned to be like mine! I just wonder why no one will accept a vertical twin like Enfields used, and that they're more likely to produce. They didn't offer V-twins except very early in their existence.
bare

I think people would accept the vertical twin just fine.
It's just too costly for anyone but the factory to get involved in making one.
People on a budget take the path of least resistance and least cost.

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: January 23, 2014, 10:11:48 pm
! I just wonder why no one will accept a vertical twin like Enfields used

Its nonexistence is a probable factor...

Plus, when they do finally make one, it'll be a 1980s tech UCE thing, without the raw appeal of the older bikes on which the V-Twins are based, yet without the refined manufacture and performance of a more modern machine made elsewhere in the world.
« Last Edit: January 23, 2014, 10:14:21 pm by AgentX »

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: January 23, 2014, 11:28:15 pm
Its nonexistence is a probable factor...

Plus, when they do finally make one, it'll be a 1980s tech UCE thing, without the raw appeal of the older bikes on which the V-Twins are based, yet without the refined manufacture and performance of a more modern machine made elsewhere in the world.

This is a very sensitive subject which is underlying the "retro" offerings. It is important to not look too deeply, or it interferes with the retro aura, which is basically a marketing image. In fact, it is correct that it is not vintage, and it is not modern. It is basically leaning on the retro styling to "excuse" the fact that it has low power, but it's a brand new power plant that should have plenty of power to compete in its weight class.

Somehow they are going to have to overcome this power deficit.
I often wonder why they have never attempted to contact me. We obviously have the answers to this.

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: January 23, 2014, 11:54:01 pm
I just wonder why no one will accept a vertical twin like Enfields used, and that they're more likely to produce.

They were accepted, 60 years ago, and were found wanting. The market spoke, and that was that.
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: January 24, 2014, 12:06:40 am
My 2 cents is that you can fit CONSIDERABLY more displacement in a V-twin that you can a parallel twin.  Due to size restraints, you can only fit so big of a cylinder on a parallel twin, where as a V-twin the cylinders are apart from each other which allow you to use a much bigger cylinder.  Essentially as big as you want to go.

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: January 24, 2014, 12:25:39 am
Scottie, absolutely true. The largest production vert twin I can think of is the old Laverda 1000 Jota. Can't think of any larger. Another problem with vert twins is vibration. The british pattern tandem twins shook like big singles, and the 180 deg. Japanese twins suffered from rocking couple vibes. Edit:Jota was a triple. Maybe the largest was a Norton? Anybody?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 12:35:05 am by cyrusb »

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: January 24, 2014, 12:31:21 am
Just for fun, here's the world's largest V-twin.  410CI, that's larger than a small block Chevy V8.

http://thekneeslider.com/gunbus-410-cubic-inch-v-twin-motorcycle-completed/

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

ChrisS

• Scooter
Reply #13 on: January 24, 2014, 01:14:07 am
"old Laverda 1000 Jota. Can't think of any larger."

Triumph Thunderbird Storm is 1699cc.
2011 RE B5
2010 BMW R1200RT
2008 Ural Gear Up
1983 BMW R80RT

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: January 24, 2014, 01:17:04 am
Yikes! Does anyone own one? Whats that like? EDIT: Found this. "With a 13.37 second pass at 101.17mph, it could only muster the fourth-quickest time. Its big end of the speedo performance also hurt its 0-100-0mph time at 18.54 seconds. So the torquey nature of the Storm fooled us into thinking it was faster than it really is". How can almost 1700cc's perform this badly?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2014, 01:34:51 am by cyrusb »