Author Topic: another VTwin option  (Read 5329 times)

Chasfield

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: January 24, 2014, 11:33:16 am
Those really big twins tend to be ludicrously overweight, like you are hauling a passenger and sidecar along even when riding solo.
2001 500 Bullet Deluxe

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: January 24, 2014, 12:44:17 pm
Those really big twins tend to be ludicrously overweight, like you are hauling a passenger and sidecar along even when riding solo.

Weight isn't an issue when you have over 100hp at the crank.  Though I personally prefer a smaller bike.  Not a big fan of anything much bigger than a 1000cc.

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #17 on: January 24, 2014, 02:53:44 pm
Not a big fan of anything much bigger than a 1000cc.

+1
Though I really like the looks of the V-Twin and had considered getting a HD 883, the thing is just too heavy for me (knees are going). Not keen on the idea of falling over at a light.  ;D
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #18 on: January 24, 2014, 08:13:47 pm
I talked with Aniket on the phone last night for a couple hours.
Release of the Musket crankcase kits is imminent.
Might even be announced today.

I'm not going to steal the thunder of the announcement, so I won't reveal the prices until he officially announces them.

It's finally happening!
Home of the Fireball 535 !

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: January 24, 2014, 08:14:41 pm
Weight isn't an issue when you have over 100hp at the crank.

Yes, it is. You still have to hold up and maneuver that extra weight. Especially those top heavy Hardley 883s. I rode an 1961 883 that was about 100 pounds lighter years ago. In fact, I almost bought it to race scrambles with, but sanity regained control and I bought a Bultaco Pursang instead. About 250 pounds lighter.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: January 24, 2014, 08:48:45 pm
Bare - Are you not familiar with the Honda RVT?

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #21 on: January 25, 2014, 12:50:00 am

It's finally happening!
And this is great news! I hope the website gets into more detail now. I really need to see exactly what has to be done to the frame, how to adjust lifters, etc.  Again, great news.
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #22 on: January 25, 2014, 02:23:24 am
I really like the way Carberry did the frame.
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: January 25, 2014, 03:42:49 am
Holy crap that looks nice!  REAL nice!   8)

Scottie

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: January 25, 2014, 09:58:47 am
I really like the way Carberry did the frame.

You can do a dual front down tube on the Musket to avoid that curved tube that Aniket used. Aniket just didn't want to have any tube partially blocking the view of his engine. The frame can be done many ways.
We just made contact with a guy who makes featherbed frames, and is willing to make them be a custom fit for the Musket. The Musket was made for an open cradle frame, so there were no restrictions on the dimensions of the bottom of the engine shape. On a closed loop frame, this could have interferences with fit, so it is very nice to have a frame builder who will build the frame to fit the engine.

Chasfield

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: January 25, 2014, 10:34:45 am
The Featherbed frame is good, but not so good that a poorly executed engine installation will work properly in it. I have seen a couple of v-twin Featherbed specials (Harley and Vincent) that looked like they were carrying the engine too high for sweet handling.

You don't want to finish up with a bike that falls into corners like a loaded wheelbarrow.
2001 500 Bullet Deluxe

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: January 25, 2014, 12:41:16 pm
The Featherbed frame is good, but not so good that a poorly executed engine installation will work properly in it. I have seen a couple of v-twin Featherbed specials (Harley and Vincent) that looked like they were carrying the engine too high for sweet handling.

You don't want to finish up with a bike that falls into corners like a loaded wheelbarrow.
That's right.
That's why I mentioned that this frame maker would make the frame specifically to fit the engine, so that it can sit as low as necessary.

Chuck D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #27 on: January 25, 2014, 01:53:24 pm
You can do a dual front down tube on the Musket to avoid that curved tube that Aniket used. Aniket just didn't want to have any tube partially blocking the view of his engine. The frame can be done many ways.
We just made contact with a guy who makes featherbed frames, and is willing to make them be a custom fit for the Musket. The Musket was made for an open cradle frame, so there were no restrictions on the dimensions of the bottom of the engine shape. On a closed loop frame, this could have interferences with fit, so it is very nice to have a frame builder who will build the frame to fit the engine.
Really!?
Mild steel or the good stuff like maybe Reynolds 531?
Hmmnnn... ;)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 01:57:31 pm by Chuck D »
Ace "Fireball"#10 (Beefy the Bullet to her friends.)
 "Featherbed" frame by Rofomoto.

2017 Triumph T120

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: January 25, 2014, 07:34:15 pm
Bare - Are you not familiar with the Honda RVT?

Yeah, I'm familiar with it. Kinda the Superbike version of the Honda Super Hawk. A friend I rode with a lot had a Super Hawk. He raced at Willow Springs quite successfully, so was quite fast. I chased him through the canyons with my Yamaha ThunderAce and finally got to where I could keep up with him. As far as the bike went, it used about 50% more gas than the Yamaha did and was very short ranged. I have another friend a Super Hawk that I've ridden several times. It's a nice bike, but the range is still an issue with that. The RC51s were way out of my price range, so I never had much interest in them.
I had a Ducati for a couple of years just before that. I had a Suzuki VX800 that got T-boned by a Buick and the Suzuki was replaced immediately with a Honda Hawk, then after the crash settlement was complete, that took a year or so, got me the Ducati. Sold it in '96. My V-twin appetite was sated. The only one I really liked, but not in the top 5, was the Honda. Just no soul! You hafta understand that my interest in the Sportster was in 1966. No Hardley interest since. No more V-twins until the Guzzi. That one is, by far, the best V-Twin I've owned. A most underrated motorcycle. They pretty much fall in the Enfield category as being unknown!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #29 on: January 25, 2014, 07:51:52 pm
Really!?
Mild steel or the good stuff like maybe Reynolds 531?
Hmmnnn... ;)
Hi Chuck,
He can do either one. Your choice.
The chrome - moly is lighter, but more prone to cracking.
The mild steel is a bit heavier but not likely to crack.