Author Topic: 2012 C5 EFI 500 Military ECU dead?  (Read 8202 times)

Blinke

• Scooter
on: January 20, 2014, 05:05:30 pm
Hello,

I´ve got a serious problem with my EFI 500 and I hope you guys can help me.

After 2013 driving season my bike worked fine as it had been since I bought it new. A couple of weeks ago I tried to start it but the battery was dead. I disconnected the battery and re-charged it. Overall the battery was disconnected for about two weeks. When I re-connected it the bike wouldn´t start. In fact the MIL light nor the fuel light wouldn´t light when ignition was turned on. Also the fuel pump remained silent. I even checked the ignition by cranking the motor by kick-starter - but as you could guess I had no spark. I do get the lights on and you can clearly hear that the power relays clicks but all other functions remains dead.

- I checked the battery connection. Everything is fine and connected.
- All the fuses are OK.
- I connected the test-pin to the ground but didn´t get any MIL signal.

It seems that the ECU is totally dead. I haven´t yet managed to check if the ECU gets power but there´s no reason why it wouldn´t. But then again there´s no obvious reason why it would have broken..

Is it possible to test the ECU? I´m running out of ideas.. 

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #1 on: January 20, 2014, 05:08:28 pm
That sounds like a dead battery. did you mean UCE?
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: January 20, 2014, 05:10:07 pm
Your battery is junk buddy, time to replace it. 

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

azcatfan

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2002 Bullet ES
Reply #3 on: January 20, 2014, 05:17:19 pm
Your battery is junk buddy, time to replace it. 

Scottie

Yup, when you kill one hard enough, they don't come back.  Unless you arced something when you reconnected the battery, I doubt the ECU (engine control unit?  I don't know what the on-board computers on the newer bikes are called officially) just up and died. 
-2002 Bullet ES Up-Jetted with Ace Air Canister and punched HD Exhaust.

My MotoVlog Channel:  http://tinyurl.com/nnso3av

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: January 20, 2014, 05:22:35 pm
Yup, when you kill one hard enough, they don't come back.  Unless you arced something when you reconnected the battery, I doubt the ECU (engine control unit?  I don't know what the on-board computers on the newer bikes are called officially) just up and died.

I thought that at first, but he mentioned that all the fuses were good.  If he had grounded something out there would be at LEAST 1 burnt fuse, so that eliminates that.  And yes, once a battery gets to the point of no return it will act like there's no battery at all, hence why nothing is turning on.

Scottie

Blinke

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: January 20, 2014, 05:50:53 pm
The battery is fine. I just charged it and the headlights are really bright. But everything related to the engine control unit (ECU) is dead. That´s why I believe that this issue is one way or another related to the ECU or its power supply.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: January 20, 2014, 06:02:32 pm
The battery is fine. I just charged it and the headlights are really bright. But everything related to the engine control unit (ECU) is dead. That´s why I believe that this issue is one way or another related to the ECU or its power supply.

What brand battery and how old is it?  How many volts is it at?  Did you take it to a parts store and have it tested?  Just because your lights are doesn't mean you have enough juice for the bike to start.  Only other option is a bad fuse.  I've never heard of these ECUs going bad and it's quite rare on any vehicle.

Scottie

Blinke

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: January 20, 2014, 06:22:40 pm
What brand battery and how old is it?  How many volts is it at?  Did you take it to a parts store and have it tested?  Just because your lights are doesn't mean you have enough juice for the bike to start.  Only other option is a bad fuse.  I've never heard of these ECUs going bad and it's quite rare on any vehicle.

Scottie

Hi Scottie,

I don´t recall the brand but today when I measured it gave 12,8 V even with the ignition turned on. Now if the battery would be dead the voltage should drop when the ignition is turned on, right? I have also the possibility to have the charger connected when battery is hooked up but I haven´t done it because the battery seems good.

When the ignition is turned on the MIL (motor indicator lamp) should light and the fuel pump should start which they don´t. As these don´t require much juice I really think the problem is elsewhere than in the battery. I appreciate the help! 

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: January 20, 2014, 06:31:39 pm
Then perhaps you have a problem with your side stand switch.  Unplug it and see if it fires up.

Scottie

Blinke

• Scooter
Reply #9 on: January 20, 2014, 06:48:45 pm
If everything would work normally the MIL should light for a short while when ignition is turned on. Then if eg. the side stand, neutral indicator, rollover sensor etc. would give signal the MIL would light again. Now the MIL is dead all the time. But yes, I will check the sensors.

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: January 20, 2014, 06:55:41 pm
I know of at least one dead ECU in my area. I have no more information but that it died suddenly, for no apparent reason. So it does happen, although rare. I hope yours is still in warranty and can be replaced quickly.
moriunt omnes pauci vivunt

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: January 20, 2014, 07:42:24 pm
Turning on the ignition alone doesn't pull much power. Does the headlight work? Connect the headlight to the battery and see what kind power the battery has then. Since the battery appeared to be the initial problem, it probably still is. Sounds like it's sulfated. The standard battery is not exactly a high quality item! The ECU doesn't control the starter. It should work.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: January 20, 2014, 08:26:44 pm
Hello,

I´ve got a serious problem with my EFI 500 and I hope you guys can help me.

After 2013 driving season my bike worked fine as it had been since I bought it new. A couple of weeks ago I tried to start it but the battery was dead. I disconnected the battery and re-charged it. Overall the battery was disconnected for about two weeks. When I re-connected it the bike wouldn´t start. In fact the MIL light nor the fuel light wouldn´t light when ignition was turned on. Also the fuel pump remained silent. I even checked the ignition by cranking the motor by kick-starter - but as you could guess I had no spark. I do get the lights on and you can clearly hear that the power relays clicks but all other functions remains dead.

- I checked the battery connection. Everything is fine and connected.
- All the fuses are OK.
- I connected the test-pin to the ground but didn´t get any MIL signal.

It seems that the ECU is totally dead. I haven´t yet managed to check if the ECU gets power but there´s no reason why it wouldn´t. But then again there´s no obvious reason why it would have broken..

Is it possible to test the ECU? I´m running out of ideas.. 

Sooooo....... The only thing that changed from when the bike last ran to now is the removing and reinstalling of the battery...    Ummmmmmmmm.  ECU's generally don't go bad just sitting there.   And I highly doubt you spiked it installing the battery..... installing the battery Ummmmmmm.    I would bet that your  ECU has power..... But it doesn't have ground.   Check the small black wire, connected to the main ground wire on the negative side of the battery... it has a snap lock connector that may have pulled out when you installed the battery.  Without that MAIN ECU ground NOTHING will happen.  You will have no ground at your starter relay, it ties into your ECU. Your bike wont even crank.......  Check it first.  Even if you find it connected.... probe for continuity from the back side's of the conector to make sure the connector itself is good.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 08:29:18 pm by gashousegorilla »
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #13 on: January 20, 2014, 09:17:48 pm
You could fry an ECU by crossing/shorting battery leads. I had a "Road Service" Goon jump start my 2002 Nissan truck battery, & the guy fried my trucks brain, but wouldn't admit it. Hope tour ECU is cheaper than a Nissans.
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #14 on: January 20, 2014, 09:35:08 pm
Blinke

I'm pretty sure this didn't happen but if the battery was connected backwards (positive wire on negative terminal/ negative wire on positive terminal) the lights would work fine but all of  the solid state equipment would fail to work.

I suppose if the battery was totally dead when you recharged it you could have connected the charger backwards so the power the battery is producing is opposite what the terminals indicate.

A volt/ohm multimeter could tell you if this happened.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary