Author Topic: (Verbally) pulled the trigger!  (Read 7825 times)

prof_stack

Reply #15 on: July 13, 2008, 12:49:31 am
Everything was set:  I had the borrowed Silverado pickup truck, the check in the wallet.  The weather was warm and sunny.  Vince was friendly, as usual.

The Electra X in blue looked stunning (see pix) but for some odd reason the front fender was black and not matching blue.  Weird.  The sides of the motor needed some semichrome cleaner.  But the overall look of the Electra, to me, is far more attractive than the Classic variants.  The AVL without painted barrel is a visual delight.

I told my wife that I would buy the Electra if I was enthusiastic after the ride.  I rode the insurance mandated loop three times.  The power was good, the handling was fine, and it sounded good, just thumping along.  The idle alternated between low and medium.  The shifter wouldn't move from 1st to neutral at the stop sign so I had to keep the clutch lever held in.  If I shifted before stopping, all was okay.  The neutral light was useless in the sunshine, as was the highbeam light indicator.  But I knew about all that stuff from being on the forum awhile.  The suspension was nice, just the way my old bod likes it.

But I came back realizing that I am not willing to do the work needed to keep on top of the Royal Enfield.  I want a bike that I can ride on the Interstate for a stretch or take to the curves and not worry about things breaking or falling off.  So, it's me, not the Royal Enfield.  If Vince was located in town I'd probably already be riding one as I'd likely come hang out on weekends and shoot the bull (so to speak).

So now its twice I've led Vince to the altar and then left him there.  I'm impressed he didn't scowl or wave me away, as perhaps I deserved.  I will not bother him for a long time, but will encourage others to check out the RE's there.  That Electra is going to make one happy owner, just not this guy. 

Switching now to lurking mode....

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: July 14, 2008, 03:40:37 pm
     Norm, I still respect you in the morning. I would rather have a happy customer. I'll let you know if something interesting comes up. Take care.

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: July 14, 2008, 05:16:42 pm
     The black fender is being replaced with the proper blue one.

prof_stack

Reply #18 on: July 14, 2008, 08:18:47 pm
Thanks, VInce.  Such a awesome looking machine, especially #3 above.  I think you need to open Vince's #2 shop here in Seattle.   ::)  The local Suzuki shop just had a run on their mid-sized bikes, so there was nothing for me to test-ride there.  But the sales manager is not very customer friendly if he can't make the quick sale.

Hopefully the UCE will be less maintenance intensive.  It would be great to be able to ride the new machine from the shop 60 miles to home (with limited Interstate time).

Bankerdanny

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: July 17, 2008, 05:05:30 pm
It's interesting that the 5-speed suffers from the same reluctance to shift from 1st to neutral at a stop as my 4-speed.

I would miss the neutral finder big time if I didn't have it. I ride in a lot of stop and go here in Chicago and getting to neutral easily os very important to keep the clutch from over heating.
Endeavor To Persevere

Current: '75 Honda CB550F, '76 Honda CB750F. Previous:  2007 Yamaha Vino 125, '75 Harley FXE Superglide, '77 GL1000 Goldwing, '77 Honda CB550K, '02 Royal Enfield Bullet 500ES, '68 Suzuki K11, '68 Yamaha YR2, '69 BMW R69S, '71 Honda SL175

LJRead

Reply #20 on: July 17, 2008, 09:32:04 pm
From everything I've read here, Vince deserves a rating of "the finest kind".  I see this and other threads, "alternate dream bike" dreaming about this and that bike, each one fascinating, mentally going touring through the U.S. on those marvelous ribbons of highway, with all that fantastic scenery.  Well, I'll never have an ultimate dream machine, nor will I ever go touring along those ribbons.  The dream can remain in my mind, not a bad place to have it, and I'll settle for what I have as "good enough".

BTW, what is the problem with the Guzzi clutch - too stiff?

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: July 17, 2008, 10:30:50 pm
It's interesting that the 5-speed suffers from the same reluctance to shift from 1st to neutral at a stop as my 4-speed.

On my 5-speed I only had that problem when I first got the bike last April. I haven't had that problem, except on rare occasions when I've come off a pretty long run above 50 mph. I started out adjusting the clutch lever as per the manual, when I went to my own system the problem has  almost gone away and it's now 3300 miles.

Foggy_Auggie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: July 17, 2008, 10:33:43 pm
BTW, what is the problem with the Guzzi clutch - too stiff?

If you're talking about me LJ - I have severe arthritis and there are few real motorcycles I can operate the clutch lever.  Very luckily the Bullet is one I can handle!  ;)
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Fortiter Et Fideliter

LJRead

Reply #23 on: July 18, 2008, 04:40:14 pm
Actually Foggy,  I didn't think I was talking about you per se, but about the Guzzi clutch - from your comment about it - but I see now what the problem was.  The thought then occurred to me as to whether it might be possible to fit one of these hard-clutch-pull bikes with a permanent jurry rig of a hydraulic system to engage and release the clutch as is done in cars. Sch a systme, as I'm sure you would know, is actually very simple.

Glad you can go on with riding because of the R Es easier system

Phil - is it possible to get an idea of what your clutch cable adjustment system is like?

LJ

PaulF

• Grease Monkey
Reply #24 on: July 18, 2008, 06:58:11 pm
The Guzzi clutch, even being a big, single dry plate, is easier to pull than some wet, multi plate clutch bikes.

Check around. There are hydraulic conversion kits for some models.

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: July 18, 2008, 08:14:19 pm
Sure LJ. It's really nothing special. I felt like the recommended  2 mm  to what ever it was was just a starting place. I adjust at per the manual when cold. Starting place. Then after riding when things warm up, I adjust until the clutch works like it should. What I wind up with is a little to a lot, depending on your own interpretation of little or lot, more play or free movement at the clutch lever abutment to the housing. It tends to move the engagement and release point more to the middle range of the lever's movement.

Now that being said, that's what works for me on this and all my other bikes over the years.

Disclaimer: YMMV

edit; I have never worn out or ruined a clutch.
edit #2 What I found when adjusting as per the manual was that as the clutch and oil warmed up caused the clutch to be waaay to tight and possibly even slipping a little.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2008, 08:29:54 pm by PhilJ »