Author Topic: If Mary Poppins rode an Enfield....  (Read 3527 times)

potboiler

• Scooter
on: January 19, 2014, 03:35:31 pm
I made a few changes to my 2008 AVL Bullet since I bought it months ago. I thought I'd show you a couple of photos of how it looks now. I ditched the saddlebags, bull bars and spongy dual seat and fitted a sprung saddle (needed custom brackets to get it to fit far enough back for my liking). I'm also experimenting with a wicker hamper to see if it works as a topcase. It's got a capacity of 72 litres so I can comfortably get all my riding gear and helmet in it with room to spare. It's not going to be as secure as a locking plastic case but I don't really leave the bike unattended anywhere.
One further note - some of you may recall my modification of re-routing the clutch cable over the headlight cowling and around the side of the engine to give a less twisted route for the cable. Well, it did  lighten the clutch pull significantly but I discovered that it also made it impossible to find neutral from second at a standstill. It is because the  outer cable has more 'freedom' - that is, it is not in contact with so many surfaces of the bike on it's way to the gearbox but the inner cable then doesn't have quite so long a pull. Thus, the clutch plates weren't fully dis-engaging. Now I've put it back through its original  route, the gearbox is sweet again.

azcatfan

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2002 Bullet ES
Reply #1 on: January 19, 2014, 03:39:40 pm
The Ol' bread delivery days in jolly old England!  I dig it!   ;D
-2002 Bullet ES Up-Jetted with Ace Air Canister and punched HD Exhaust.

My MotoVlog Channel:  http://tinyurl.com/nnso3av

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: January 19, 2014, 04:10:56 pm
At first I was like  :o  But the more I look at those pics, the more it looks like the basket belongs there.  Weird.    :)

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #3 on: January 19, 2014, 04:18:44 pm
Sort of strikes me as a wind-catcher. Hope it doesn't get too windy there.
Fuel economy may get worse with all that aero drag.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #4 on: January 19, 2014, 04:59:52 pm
    I wonder about raising the CG that much.
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: January 19, 2014, 08:02:25 pm
I wonder about raising the CG that much.
Or that far back. Great wheelie machine! At least when it goes over, it'll probably stand straight up!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: January 19, 2014, 08:52:29 pm
I would look like yogi bear and his picnic basket vice Poppins ...It'n not my style but to each his own..The bike looks nice :o
Oh Magoo you done it again

Buckeroo

• Bulleteer
Reply #7 on: February 05, 2014, 07:50:48 pm
Did that hump back rear fender come with your 2008 AVL?  Do you make the bracket to hold the hamper?
This bike was stored for 3.5 years.  It had fallen on its side for awhile. I claimed it about a year and a half ago. Thus the low miles and inexperienced owner.
2008 Bullet Electra Classic 500
Classic Frame and AVL motor
Electric Start
Electronic Ignition
5 speed
CV Carb

potboiler

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: February 05, 2014, 09:08:10 pm
Yes, as far as I know, the deeply vallanced rear mudguard is standard on this 2008 'Machismo' model. I attached some 5mm plywood to the bottom of the hamper so that it can be firmly bolted  to the rear carrier by wooden battens. It's not exactly 'quick -release' but I can remove it in around 2 minutes.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #9 on: February 05, 2014, 09:19:38 pm
Yes, as far as I know, the deeply vallanced rear mudguard is standard on this 2008 'Machismo' model. I attached some 5mm plywood to the bottom of the hamper so that it can be firmly bolted  to the rear carrier by wooden battens. It's not exactly 'quick -release' but I can remove it in around 2 minutes.

That's the same rear fender that the 350 uses, no?
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

potboiler

• Scooter
Reply #10 on: February 06, 2014, 08:28:30 am
Yes, it is. It retains the fully folding up feature for quick wheel removal as well.