Author Topic: Headlight Problem  (Read 3117 times)

BurbankBullet

• Scooter
on: January 19, 2014, 12:47:49 am
Hey, ya'll... I took my 2012 Bullet into have the charging system checked but since I got it back my headlight does not come on anymore. The switch doesn't seem to engage, HOWEVER I can push on the yellow temp high beam and it DOES come on. The bulb IS NOT burned out, all fuses OK... what does this sound like? Thanks :-\

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: January 19, 2014, 12:37:39 pm
If you haven't heard or noticed it is a rats nest inside of the nacelle.  I don't own a UCE but I do know that there is a jumper wire inside of the nacelle that has to do with the switch activity.  When the jumper is installed it forces the headlight to stay illuminated at all times per US Federal Law.  When you remove the jumper, it makes the headlight switch functional and should allow you to manually switch the headlight on and off and from lo to hi.  I'm guessing if your dealer was playing with wires they may have done something to/with this jumper wire.

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: January 19, 2014, 04:33:59 pm
Hey, ya'll... I took my 2012 Bullet into have the charging system checked but since I got it back my headlight does not come on anymore. The switch doesn't seem to engage, HOWEVER I can push on the yellow temp high beam and it DOES come on. The bulb IS NOT burned out, all fuses OK... what does this sound like? Thanks :-\

The switch can be activated by removing the jumper wire in the nacelle as shown in this video -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UhQUNMKRix4

Check that the three wires to the bulb are connected properly.
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: January 19, 2014, 08:20:59 pm
The problem has to be between the switch, the dimmer switch and bulb. Check and make sure voltage is coming out of those switches. as mentioned make sure the jumper connections in the left side of the headlight are connected.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
Reply #4 on: January 20, 2014, 01:22:15 am
That video is good but doing it the hard way. Follow the wires out of the switch assembly to the bottom of the Nacell on the right hand
side. With the handlebars turned left, gently jiggle and pull those wires and the harness out, 1 plug - pull another couple inches to the 2nd plug. Make sure all are tight or if you want to make the switch useable pull out the 3" section and reconnect, now the switch will work and hopefully you have found your issue.
       - Mike
'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill

BurbankBullet

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: January 20, 2014, 10:56:24 pm
Thank you very much, Everybody! Got it working. That video by the way was excellent!

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: January 21, 2014, 01:43:31 am
Sweet!   :)
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #7 on: January 21, 2014, 12:27:11 pm
That video is good but doing it the hard way. Follow the wires out of the switch assembly to the bottom of the Nacell on the right hand
side. With the handlebars turned left, gently jiggle and pull those wires and the harness out, 1 plug - pull another couple inches to the 2nd plug.

Maybe in some instances, but there's no way I could get to my headlight wiring from behind - and I tried!  Perhaps the newer, more organized wiring behind the nacelle which I've been hearing about makes it possible...