Author Topic: Looked at the Electra  (Read 5264 times)

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
on: August 03, 2007, 02:05:49 pm
Yesterday we went to Chicago, to look for Filters for the Ural, and the dealer had a line up of Royal Enfields sitting out side.  As I intend to get my Lady an Electra, in January, I took a close look, and get the feel of the bike. It is lower than my Classic Bullet, by an inch or so,  and feels a little easier to sit on.  I couldn't start it, as the batteries were all flat, and the bikes not oiled up, or fueled. Why is it that a line of bikes outside a dealer have no oil or fuel in??

I asked about lower seats, and got no help or suggestions from them, so I don't think selling Enfields is their prime concern.  I did get to start a military. Much more eager to start than my Bullet - less of a kick to get it going - the starter did not work, and it's engine guard was not fitted.

I was a little disappointed with the presentation of the bikes - being totally nuts for the RE line, I would have preferred to see them presented nicely, with no adjustments to be made, and working starters.

What this did for me, was to make it probable that I will travel farther to buy my new bikes - I intend to buy two of them, and don't want to get them from a dealer that doesn't live and breathe Enfields.
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
''99 Classic Bullet. '05 Ural Tourist sidecar rig, converted to 2wd. '05 Harley Davidson Sportster.
Jefferson County, WA

rpnix

• Bulleteer
Reply #1 on: August 03, 2007, 02:32:13 pm
It's a possibility that not gassing them up or putting in oil reduces the number of "drive-offs", given that they're sitting outside in a tempting line...

Or the dealer could just be lazy.   ;D

Drive up here when you're ready and I'll introduce you to Dave... My dealer lives, eats and breathes Urals and Enfields. (and Wizzers...) Other than the drive for service, you couldn't ask for a better dealer to work with. You can find him online at http://davescycle.net/

As a displaced Hoosier, I want to see you on the best rides, from the best people.  :D
Bob Nix -- '06 Ural Tourist, '07 Royal Enfield Electra  <-- Click on the bike to see photos!

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #2 on: August 03, 2007, 02:40:06 pm
I wouldn't be too tough on him. It's probably a matter of cost/benefit to have a line-up of REs ready to go. If they move a half-dozen a week it might be worthwhile. Otherwise you've got batteries becoming discharged, oil and gas getting stale, etc. Even with the biggest stores and big-three manufacturers you don't often have the opportunity to test-ride.

Go see Terry Crawford - he's tops in my book!

matt

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: August 03, 2007, 03:53:48 pm
Thanks for the suggestions guys..  I will travel to other dealers and see who looks like they care.
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
''99 Classic Bullet. '05 Ural Tourist sidecar rig, converted to 2wd. '05 Harley Davidson Sportster.
Jefferson County, WA

luoma

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: August 04, 2007, 10:30:04 pm
I agree you should pick a good dealer. Not so much for mechanical support (the Electra is the easiest bike to own and maintain I have ever had), but to make sure they are committed to staying in the business of selling and supporting REs. My dealer sells and races Triumphs and all the people that work there are Brit bike enthusiats rather than salesmen.

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: August 05, 2007, 01:33:53 am
I am not sure I would want a dealer that had any other Brit bikes.. I only have so much room.
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
Jefferson County, WA

gapl53

Reply #6 on: August 05, 2007, 02:22:32 pm
How I know that feeling. So many bikes, so little room, or something like that.

RagMan

• Bulleteer, Uralist &
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: August 05, 2007, 03:25:41 pm
I saw a Brit bike seller in CA - can't remember the name, but they had about 50 bikes, all ones I would love to own.  I could spend thousands just collecting them.  Fortunately, I am stony broke most of the time..
aka Indiana Bulleteer.
Jefferson County, WA

luoma

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: August 12, 2007, 02:00:10 am
Beleive me I understand. My dealer is not only isto sales of Brit bikes, but is a lifelong enthusiast who restores and races vintage bikes. His back room looks like gearhead heaven.