Author Topic: How much oil!  (Read 13498 times)

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #30 on: March 10, 2014, 12:14:45 pm
See, suitcasejefferson?  Oil war.  They come in many guises...  ;D

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #31 on: March 10, 2014, 03:49:48 pm
Regarding the "Tank" (RE manual) vs "Crankcase", it all depends on who (or how many) do the translating from Indian to English, and how many levels of translating have been done.
After 20+ years working with French manuals the number of different names for the same thing are STILL frustrating (Is it an O-ring, joint seal, gasket, seal, Viton ring, or barrier????????????????????) Frogs.  :o
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

nigelogston@gmail.com

• Bulleteer
Reply #32 on: March 10, 2014, 05:13:00 pm
Not wishing to fan the Winds of War ,  but I know there is an aftermarket scavenge device for HDs designed to slurp every last bit of old oil out prior to oil changes. (I think it connects through the external oil lines and you turn the engine over for a time to fully bleed the lines. )  This is not HD manual recommendation but proponents claim benefits from not recycling used oil that is filled with acids, particulate and whatever other stuff happens to oil as it degrades.
Surely with an engine as simple as the UCE there would be a way to completely drain it even if it meant sucking out with a syphon hand pump hose set up like those used for syphoning gas.  Anyone have any ideas ?  With a single cylinder air colled doing all the work, good  lubrication is everything no? . Nigel

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #33 on: March 10, 2014, 05:18:38 pm
Yes, remove the side case covers and tip it back and forth.  Amazing amounts of oil come out.  There are still two shot glass sized depressions up in the head that hold oil.  You could remove the tank and valve covers and suck them out too....

Or just pop the plug, rock it a bit, and call it good.  Honestly guys, this is as sophisticated a motor as a Briggs and Straton.  Don't agonize over getting every last drop out. Ride more, worry less :)

Scott

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #34 on: March 10, 2014, 06:03:33 pm
Regarding the "Tank" (RE manual) vs "Crankcase", it all depends on who (or how many) do the translating from Indian to English, and how many levels of translating have been done.

The crankcase, where the crank is, keeps no oil in it. It gets pumped back to the "tank" which is behind and lower than the crankcase. To call the whole engine case a crankcase is a big misnomer, or at least, misleading.
Bare

2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #35 on: March 10, 2014, 06:27:28 pm
The idea of a an internal tank inside the engine case is a little confusing at first, but it's just as bare describes it.

I wish we had external oil lines like the older engines.  Looks way cool and it's very easy to add an oil cooler.

Scott

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #36 on: March 10, 2014, 08:59:28 pm
I think I will use Mobil 1 20w50 v-twin oil, changed according to the manual. It is mainly intended for Harleys, and late model Harleys run red hot. Heat is the main enemy of both oil, and air cooled engines. I run my XT225 and Genuine Stella 2 stroke on the rich side to help keep them cool, but with FI, there is no way to richen the mixture, at least not without  an expensive reprogrammer.
"I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker"
"Buy the ticket, take the ride" Hunter S. Thompson

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #37 on: March 10, 2014, 09:57:14 pm
I have used Mobil-1 20-50 in my G5 starting with the 300 mile oil change.
I can't say it is truly better than the other motorcycle specific oils but it's working for me whether I'm riding in 40 degree F weather or in 115 degree F weather.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #38 on: March 10, 2014, 10:23:41 pm
These engines were designed to run in Indian summer heat in traffic.  They do ok but I run synthetic too just for extra piece of mind ;)

Scott

Royal Stargazer

• I have no idea what I'm doing.
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #39 on: March 10, 2014, 11:34:25 pm
These engines were designed to run in Indian summer heat in traffic.

I never considered that. My sole reasoning for leaning towards Royal Purple was because it was the only oil I'd researched that made statements about reducing the operating temperature of the engine. With our little 499cc thumpers being air-cooled, it seemed like a decision that made itself.

I might just pick an easily-accessible synthetic and call it a day. I'll steer clear of the semi-synthetics though.
2020 Royal Enfield Continental GT, A racer for more than just cafes
2005 Volvo S60 2.5T AWD, Two doors too many
2003 Royal Enfield Bullet, two-wheeled time machine

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #40 on: March 11, 2014, 01:11:32 am
If you go purple make sure you get moto specific.  I've heard a few cases of wet clutches slipping with it.

Scott