Author Topic: Pulser Coil  (Read 15002 times)

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #15 on: January 18, 2014, 05:35:56 pm
I'm pretty sure that the Pulser Coil is hooked up directly to the Flux Capacitor and helps converts the fuel into the required 1.21 Gigawatts.  Without it, you won't be able to break the time/space continuum when you hit 88mph.  Be careful not to ground yourself out on it, 1.21 gigawatts will send you to the skies!   ;D

Scottie

It's OK. The main battery is out   :)     ;)
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

motomataya

• Grease Monkey
Reply #16 on: January 18, 2014, 05:46:04 pm
I believe the pulser coil is in with the generator. It's the green and white wires coming out of the motor. Could that box be the starter auto cutoff?

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: January 18, 2014, 05:53:24 pm
http://racetechelectric.com/ft-752-pulser-coil-ignition-systems.html

Well here's  a good explanation but why it's  in the sidebox..Maybe the wires go to a pickup point and they figure to put the actual coil in a protected area...I don't have one as mine (06) is the older points/condenser..The article goes into good detail re. when they started to use this technique to generate 12 v...If it's providing voltage to ECU, I wouldn't remove it while its running...GM...
Oh Magoo you done it again

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: January 18, 2014, 05:57:41 pm
And the next thing you know you end up in the year 1955/56 in Redditch England...

Ya' know what? I wouldn't bitch & whine an awful lot if that DID happen           :)   
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: January 18, 2014, 06:05:33 pm
I believe the pulser coil is in with the generator. It's the green and white wires coming out of the motor. Could that box be the starter auto cutoff?

My bike ('08 AVL Classic as stated before) doesn't have a generator. It has a three-wire alternator, electronic ignition, carburetor, 5-speed, kick & electric start.  I don't know what you're thinking of, but that ain't it. This component is in the left side case, NOT in the engine or in the primary case. It has eight (8) wires coming out of it.       

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: January 18, 2014, 06:16:42 pm
http://racetechelectric.com/ft-752-pulser-coil-ignition-systems.html

Well here's  a good explanation but why it's  in the sidebox..Maybe the wires go to a pickup point and they figure to put the actual coil in a protected area...I don't have one as mine (06) is the older points/condenser..The article goes into good detail re. when they started to use this technique to generate 12 v...If it's providing voltage to ECU, I wouldn't remove it while its running...GM...

No, I understand what a pulser coil is as described in your linked article. That's a "trigger" triggered by a magnet attached to the flywheel of whatever & it "tells" the coil when to fire the plug each time the magnet goes by.

That can't be what this little black box is. It's mounted in the left side case & has 8 wires going to it &/or coming out of it (whatever) & it is sealed shut with epoxy. It's not an add-on either. It's a factory part of the bike. It has its own bracket inside the side case.

I was incorrect in my first post. It Can't be the Pulser Coil I see labelled on my schematic. THAT labelled coil is the one that's mounted on whatever rotating part of the engine it's mounted on. My schematic shows that the pulser coil is a two-wire component (which it would be). The little black box in the side case I'm trying to ID has 8 wires. 
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 06:25:11 pm by tooseevee »

ROVERMAN

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: January 18, 2014, 10:22:38 pm
Yes Tooseevee, an eight wire capacitor! Take a gander at a wiring diagram for a Land Rover/ Jag AJ V8. ;D ;D ;D
Roverman.

Adrian

Reply #22 on: January 18, 2014, 11:26:40 pm
ISTRC when the problem of backfiring & resultant sprag clutch damage reared its ugly head another solution was tried before the green TCI box appeared as a replacement for the original black one, a little box intended to delay the ignition from firing for a couple of revolutions to allow the e-start to get the engine up to cranking speed first. Could be one of those?  :-\

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: January 18, 2014, 11:27:43 pm
The Pulser Coil, (often called Pickup Coil, Timing Coil or Crankshaft Position Indicater ) is responsible for providing the timing signal to the ignition control box on modern motorcycles with solid-state ignition system. The Pulser Coil, as a unit, is not usually serviceable. It is a sealed component, and should be replaced if determined to be a problem. Pulser Coil problems sometimes manifest themselves in hot running situations, but usually failures result in no spark at all. When the pulser coil fails it will usually produce no output pulse, or a very weak one.
I've had several go bad in Triumphs. They quit working when they get overheated at continuous high speeds on a hot day. After the bike quits, which will definitely be at some spot where you didn't need that, like an HOV lane during rush hour, after it cools down a few minutes it will work again until it gets hot again. Slowing down helps it last a bit longer.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: January 19, 2014, 12:07:13 am
Yes Tooseevee, an eight wire capacitor! Take a gander at a wiring diagram for a Land Rover/ Jag AJ V8. ;D ;D ;D
Roverman.

Nnno! I don't want to & you can't make me   :)   ;)

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: January 19, 2014, 12:26:10 am
The Pulser Coil, (often called Pickup Coil, Timing Coil or Crankshaft Position Indicater ) is responsible for providing the timing signal to the ignition control box on modern motorcycles with solid-state ignition system. The Pulser Coil, as a unit, is not usually serviceable. It is a sealed component, and should be replaced if determined to be a problem. Pulser Coil problems sometimes manifest themselves in hot running situations, but usually failures result in no spark at all. When the pulser coil fails it will usually produce no output pulse, or a very weak one.
I've had several go bad in Triumphs. They quit working when they get overheated at continuous high speeds on a hot day. After the bike quits, which will definitely be at some spot where you didn't need that, like an HOV lane during rush hour, after it cools down a few minutes it will work again until it gets hot again. Slowing down helps it last a bit longer.
Bare

You haven't been reading my posts, Bare. This is NOT the pickup trigger coil. It's in the left side case where the starter relay is. As I said before; I know what a pickup coil is. This is not the pickup coil.

I'm thinking now that Adrian below is correct. It just might be the spark delay sprag saver that was on the bikes with the black TCI Units.

I can't remember the details (it was 4 years ago), but I installed the green TCI 4 years ago. This would explain why the two connectors that previously went to the TCI are now plugged into each other. The connections to the TCI are not needed now because the delay is internal to the green TCI unit. I got instructions with the green TCI that must have told me to do this, but, as I say, I don't remember the details. I was doing a lot to the bike at that time.   

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: January 19, 2014, 12:44:42 am
ISTRC when the problem of backfiring & resultant sprag clutch damage reared its ugly head another solution was tried before the green TCI box appeared as a replacement for the original black one, a little box intended to delay the ignition from firing for a couple of revolutions to allow the e-start to get the engine up to cranking speed first. Could be one of those?  :-\

I believe you're absolutely right (see my post to barenekkid) & thanks for jogging my memory back 4 years.

I remember all this vaguely now from when I replaced the black TCI Unit with the updated green one 4 years ago.

Only two small green wires out of the 8 in this little black box are being used now & I can't trace where they go yet. They go out of the side case into a two-wire plug connector under the seat & then into the main harness (still green) & forward. When I trace where they go I'll let ya'all know.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 09:22:19 pm by tooseevee »

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #27 on: January 19, 2014, 05:25:02 pm
    As I said before two green wires come out of the mystery black box then to a two-wire connector & then into the main harness & forward.

I've spent an hour down there trying to find two green wires coming out of the harness at the headlight end of the bike. Pulled the headlight & can't find anything in there either ("Abandon hope all ye who enter there"). I hope I didn't loosen any of the hundred little black ground connectors that are in there. I can't check until the bat tree goes back in.

The green wires do not go to the coil; those are a red/white & a brown. The two green wires are the only two out of the 8 that appear hooked to something. They do not go to the TCI Unit.

I am just curious enough now to dewrap the whole harness to see where those two (@#%$*&) green wires go; maybe they change colors inside the harness although I don't see any lumps that might be connectors. I'll order a roll of '50s style harness wrap in the meantime.

I neatened up my rear directional light wires also while I was down there. I had left them a mess since the new tail light & relocating the directionals.

More later.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 05:32:01 pm by tooseevee »

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: January 19, 2014, 06:52:54 pm
So is there a problem or are you just trying to figure out what the box does?  I know you don't want to believe it but I too think it has something to do with your ignition.  It sounds like the only way you're going to find out is by opening up the wire harness.  I have a feeling once you do you're going to find 2 wires running to some sort of a trigger somewhere.  JMHO

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #29 on: January 19, 2014, 07:58:31 pm
Oops
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com