Author Topic: Pulser Coil  (Read 15005 times)

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
on: January 17, 2014, 08:35:32 pm
  I was diddling around inside the left side case of my '08 Classic today mounting a small spare fuse holder & wishing there was a way to do away with ALL the wires & black boxes & connectors. It would be So neat.

Anyway - what does the small black epoxied-shut box called a Pulser Coil do?  It's about 1"x1"x1/2".
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 09:11:21 pm by tooseevee »
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #1 on: January 17, 2014, 08:53:35 pm
I'm guessing it is the turn signal flasher.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: January 17, 2014, 09:09:27 pm
I'm guessing it is the turn signal flasher.

Nope. The flasher's under the seat. This little box is called a Pulser Coil on the schematic. It's a separate component from the Ignition Coil.
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

motomataya

• Grease Monkey
Reply #3 on: January 17, 2014, 09:27:20 pm
A pulse coil triggers the ignition to fire. An exciter coil provides voltage in an AC system. Battery supplies voltage in a DC system.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: January 17, 2014, 11:48:49 pm
A pulse coil triggers the ignition to fire. An exciter coil provides voltage in an AC system. Battery supplies voltage in a DC system.

It's not a Hall Effect trigger.  It's not on a rotating part of the engine; how could it trigger the spark? It's in the left side case (as I already said) & it's completely epoxied solid. I'll go take pictures.  Be back in a while.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: January 18, 2014, 12:39:29 am
           It's not a Hall Effect trigger.  It's not on a rotating part of the engine; how could it trigger the spark? It's in the left side case (as I already said) & it's completely epoxied solid. I'll go take pictures.  Be back in a while.

The component is right in the center above the brake light switch.

Seems to me I remember doing something with the wires to this thing back in 2010 when I switched the TCI Unit to the green one. That must have been when I plugged the green connector into the white one. Also two wires have been cut.

Tomorrow I'm going to track where that one sleeve of wires goes. This thing may be serving no purpose at all.

(Don't click on the picture. Click on the tag Under the picture).
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 12:53:01 am by tooseevee »

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: January 18, 2014, 12:56:03 am
    Last two pictures, I promise.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #7 on: January 18, 2014, 01:59:05 am
You could always unplug it and toss it in the trash.

Then, when something on your motorcycle doesn't work you can say, "So!  THAT'S what that thing did!  Now, where I toss it?"
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: January 18, 2014, 03:52:31 am
You could always unplug it and toss it in the trash.

Then, when something on your motorcycle doesn't work you can say, "So!  THAT'S what that thing did!  Now, where I toss it?"

That's what I'm gonna do in the Spring when the bike's running again.

I'm gonna trace where the one sleeve of wires goes that must have a connector on the end. Then with the bike running, I'll disconnect it.

What's really surprising is no one can tell me what it is. Yet. It's just a stock electrical component on an '08 AVL. 

TejK

• Bulleteer
  • 'BlACk'
Reply #9 on: January 18, 2014, 09:31:30 am
Dear Tooseevee,

it look very familiar however its fitted on my car  :o!! I maybe total off topic and wrong however,  ???...

I don't have that part on my bike ( maybe it came on the export models) , however, I have Vauxhall Victor ( aka Contessa Classic as it was called in India) and the fuel injection system uses a 'Multilink' box exactly like in the pic. The car 's parts manual refers to it as the 'Iginition Amplifier'. It is connected between the CPS and the Distributor. few years back it went bad and the car would miss, had poor starting or would fire on 2 cylinders. I replaced it and it started working fine. I understood that EFI system used low voltage signal for the Crank sensor and sends it to this amplifier which then sends a high voltage current to the distributor coil.

ok, I have confused myself now !

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: January 18, 2014, 10:02:26 am
That looks something like a slightly bigger version of the regulator on my late '70's Honda CB500T, which has just two terminals on it, so could it be one of those?
 That said, as it is called a 'pulser coil', it may more likely be an external part of the ignition trigger system and in either case, it is very much needed on your machine.
 B.W.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 10:04:51 am by Bullet Whisperer »

ROVERMAN

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: January 18, 2014, 03:59:34 pm
Many modern ignition systems have a condenser (not like those on a points set up) to provide seamless voltage flow and spike protection, possible?
Roverman.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: January 18, 2014, 04:10:47 pm
I'm pretty sure that the Pulser Coil is hooked up directly to the Flux Capacitor and helps converts the fuel into the required 1.21 Gigawatts.  Without it, you won't be able to break the time/space continuum when you hit 88mph.  Be careful not to ground yourself out on it, 1.21 gigawatts will send you to the skies!   ;D

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: January 18, 2014, 05:31:59 pm
Many modern ignition systems have a condenser (not like those on a points set up) to provide seamless voltage flow and spike protection, possible?
Roverman.

An eight (8) wire condenser?
                I think not, Grasshoppah    ;)     

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: January 18, 2014, 05:35:12 pm
And the next thing you know you end up in the year 1955/56 in Redditch England...
Oh Magoo you done it again