Author Topic: Tooseevee's AVL upgrade thread  (Read 90251 times)

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #210 on: June 07, 2014, 10:52:38 pm
Excellent 2CV!  Thanks for sharing.
Suppose I were an idiot, and suppose I were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. ... Mark Twain
2006 AVL Electra

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #211 on: June 13, 2014, 04:29:20 pm
   I've tried to write here for a couple days & crap keeps happening. This morning went to my daughter & yesterday I wrote for almost an hour & when I hit Post I just got a blank white screen. Kept trying - same thing. So I gave up -my neck was shot.

Anyway - I'm there. I could have started it yesterday, but it just didn't work out. Picture below shows where I'm at now. All back together, valves adjusted, oil at the rockers, valve covers on, silencer on, battery charged & installed & a remote fuel supply created in case something turns up where I would have to pull the tank again right away. I also put the UCE kicker back on for the added leverage. It's 9.8:1 comp ratio now & I think the new valve springs are stiffer.

I'm going down pretty soon & try to start her up. I want it to kick start from the getgo so I'll try that first. If I have to I'll use the starter after I've collapsed on the floor from kicking  ;) 

I don't know yet if the TM 32 will want choke or not to start so all that is still up in the air. I haven't moved the idle speed screw yet from new & the mixture screw is two turns out. It is jetted per Ace's reeko mendashuns for initial start up & dialing-in. I'll probably kick a while with no choke & then kick a while with choke. If no luck at all I'll use the starter.

More later   ;D

« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 04:34:24 pm by tooseevee »
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #212 on: June 13, 2014, 05:21:25 pm
Fingers crossed!
 ;D

Anyway, it's my guess that if you allow the float bowl to fill completely after turning on the petcock, and then pull up the choke knob, it should start on one or two kicks. Push the choke knob back down when the engine sounds like it is laboring, and wants the choke off.

Be sure that throttle cable isn't getting stuck, and be ready to hit the kill button if necessary.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

azcatfan

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2002 Bullet ES
Reply #213 on: June 13, 2014, 05:25:08 pm
So awesome!  cannot wait to get the first ride report  8)
-2002 Bullet ES Up-Jetted with Ace Air Canister and punched HD Exhaust.

My MotoVlog Channel:  http://tinyurl.com/nnso3av

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #214 on: June 13, 2014, 06:06:07 pm
Fingers crossed!
 ;D

Anyway, it's my guess that if you allow the float bowl to fill completely after turning on the petcock, and then pull up the choke knob, it should start on one or two kicks. Push the choke knob back down when the engine sounds like it is laboring, and wants the choke off.

Be sure that throttle cable isn't getting stuck, and be ready to hit the kill button if necessary.

Ha!  :) There's no petcock on my plastic jug, Ace. I forgot that part  ;)

Anyway. 4 kicks, no choke, running. Dropped right into a smooth idle without me doing anything. So it's probably a hair rich.

Checked all 'round with a bright light - no leaks apparent. Throttle works smooth. Snaps right back down when released. Let it run 'till the banjos got hot. By then I had had to lower the idle speed a bit (same as with the BS-29).

It sounds Bee Eee Aye YOO Tee Full !! to me. I'll try it again later then put the tank on. Raining here. Not going nowhere nohow today. 
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #215 on: June 13, 2014, 07:04:58 pm
Excellent!
I'm very happy to hear that report.
 8)
I forgot that plastic jugs don't have petcocks! :)

With the increased compression, it will be very important to listen for ping when you get it out on the road, under load on throttle, or up hills.
It may not ping, but I would like you to be listening for it, just in case.

Obviously, if you do hear any ping, please avoid it by backing off the throttle to make it go away, and we will address the solutions then.

I'm feeling very good about this.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 07:07:17 pm by ace.cafe »

armando_chavez

• Grease Monkey
Reply #216 on: June 13, 2014, 09:55:40 pm
did anyone here have to get longer pushrods for the avl with S cams?  After i installed the S cams i felt the inlet pushrod was too loose and i unscrewed the adjuster  almost all the way out and it bent right in half when i turned the engine over with the kickstart

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #217 on: June 13, 2014, 10:11:41 pm
Excellent!
I'm very happy to hear that report.
 8)
I forgot that plastic jugs don't have petcocks! :)

With the increased compression, it will be very important to listen for ping when you get it out on the road, under load on throttle, or up hills.
It may not ping, but I would like you to be listening for it, just in case.

Obviously, if you do hear any ping, please avoid it by backing off the throttle to make it go away, and we will address the solutions then.

I'm feeling very good about this.

Yup. I'm happy, too, and I'm glad you're happy. I must admit I was a bit apprehensive on the first startup. I didn't expect it to go so easy.

Yes, I'll definitely listen for ping. I know the perfect grade where I can load it up a bit in 4th & listen good. I've timed many cars using the "ping under load" method.

The 2nd start an hour later was a bit different. Three kicks, no choke, nothing. Three more kicks with choke- nothing. Choke off - one micro-second of the start button & it was running & dropped into a nice idle with no hand on the throttle. So some tweaking is yet to come, but I can't even play with the mixture until I get it out & really warm it up. That alone could solve my kick start problem (if it's even a problem).

Overall I am eck static ;D  And it sounds SO good. Dare I call it a more gutsy, throaty sound than before?

PS: It's got 93 octane in it with a 1/2 oz. MMO per gallon.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2014, 10:13:56 pm by tooseevee »

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #218 on: June 13, 2014, 10:25:16 pm
Great!

I suspect that it is going to need that 93 octane gas.
That was a good choice to put in there!
 :)

It should sound gutsy!
The compression is up almost a point and a half!

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #219 on: June 13, 2014, 11:27:54 pm
Congrats 2CV!  Well done!  Can't wait to hear how she flies down the road.

A couple of things your post reminded to share.

1. The pilot screw is very sensitive. I find 1/8 turns covers a fair range.
2. Your 2nd kick starting was the same prob I had. I found if I pulled choke, kicked once resulted in nothing, I push the choke back down and then she fires. Sometimes I've had to clear the chamber.  But now I'm a 1 kick starter.
3. I got some extra TM32 brass if you need it. A 27.5 pilot, a P2 needle jet (order by error and failed to notice) and a few extra mains. Just say the word....

Congrats again!
Suppose I were an idiot, and suppose I were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. ... Mark Twain
2006 AVL Electra

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #220 on: June 13, 2014, 11:51:27 pm
Awesome tooseevee!  Glad you got her back together working on the first try!  :D
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #221 on: June 14, 2014, 12:23:47 am
Congrats 2CV!  Well done!  Can't wait to hear how she flies down the road.

A couple of things your post reminded to share.

1. The pilot screw is very sensitive. I find 1/8 turns covers a fair range.
2. Your 2nd kick starting was the same prob I had. I found if I pulled choke, kicked once resulted in nothing, I push the choke back down and then she fires. Sometimes I've had to clear the chamber.  But now I'm a 1 kick starter.
3. I got some extra TM32 brass if you need it. A 27.5 pilot, a P2 needle jet (order by error and failed to notice) and a few extra mains. Just say the word....
Congrats again!

Thanks, Dan.

That's what I thought I would try in the morning; One or two kicks with the choke then another with the choke off & see how that works out.

I think the pilot & mixture are pretty damn close (I'm at 1 3/4 turns out with a #30 Pilot, but can't be sure 'til I get on the road.

Just for info what's in it now is:

Stock needle it came with, clip in middle groove of 5
             Stock Needle jet (Q-2) replaced with a P-4
             #30 Pilot
             #195 Main 
              Mixture screw 1 3/4 turns out. (I leaned it out a hair  from 1 1/2 because it started so easy with no choke).

PS: I was never at 2 turns out as I said before. I was at 1 1/2.
               On Hand right now I have: 180, 185, 190 & 200 Mains & 27.5, 32.5 & 35 Pilots. 
« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 12:30:28 am by tooseevee »

Adrian

Reply #222 on: June 14, 2014, 12:55:04 am
The world holds its breath... well some of us, anyway!  ;D I like the steady tick-over on a tuned motor, it bodes well for something usable on the street.

Armando,

my Electra-X coped with stock pushrods when it ran on "S" cams. The project AVL however needed longer pushrods as the cam followers/tappets are off the Iron engine, so if your X needs a longer set you can modify a set of Iron engine 500 pushrods cut to length (get the later metric ones so that the 6mm AVL tappet adjusters can be used) with the tops plugged and bored out to 5mm (4.9mm?) so that you can fit AVL pushrod tops. I'm sorry I can't give you the revised pushrod length, you'll have to measure it!

A.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #223 on: June 14, 2014, 02:09:41 am
The world holds its breath... well some of us, anyway!  ;D I like the steady tick-over on a tuned motor, it bodes well for something usable on the street.

A.

I'm holding my breath! ;D

This head really has received a drastic technology increase, and this combustion chamber has the potential to actually tolerate this high compression ratio without detonation.
It has the potential to be a major development milestone for the efficiency of these Bullet platforms.

We shall see.
 8)

Chuck D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #224 on: June 14, 2014, 04:59:25 am
Hey 2cv, I just wanna chime in my congratulations on a job well done.
And for whatever it's worth, My usual start up with the TM32 goes something like this:
1.With ignition off, Choke nob up, kick through once. Reset kicker.
 2. Choke nob down, Key ON, kick to start.
And NO throttle!
3. Rev throttle lightly after about 10 seconds of idling.
The aforementioned is for cooler days (60F and below) and a cold engine.
Warmer than that, I usually only need a 1 kick through (key off) with no choke. Then the starting kick.
Most summer days I dispense with the initial primer kick altogether and just go for the money shot.
As DanB mentioned, I've also found the air screw very sensitive with only 1/4 turn adjustments needed. as the seasons change.

Wishing you all the best!
Chuck.
Ace "Fireball"#10 (Beefy the Bullet to her friends.)
 "Featherbed" frame by Rofomoto.

2017 Triumph T120