Author Topic: Tooseevee's AVL upgrade thread  (Read 90280 times)

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #180 on: May 31, 2014, 09:03:29 pm
Go ahead and get two cables and mod them now so you'll have a spare...

That's azzackly what I'm gonna do.

I Dremeled the throttle end barrel earlier to fit through the hole & to fit the rotating channel of the interior part. You've got to be careful in your grinding such that the cable remains in the center of the channel. It only took 15 minutes. The carb end ball is perfect.

Then I worked on connecting the cable up to the slide. I can't imagine doing it on the engine, but it went pretty well after some pain, a couple of misfires & staring at it long enough with my face all screwed up. Just finished a few minutes ago. I have 3 1/2" of free cable at the throttle end which should be plenty to hook that end up with the carb already hooked up on the other end. That's for tomorrow. My hands have had it.
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #181 on: May 31, 2014, 09:34:50 pm
             I'm going to try hooking the carburetor end up first & THEN attaching the throttle grip end. It will give me more cable length to play with. Has anyone tried this?

That's exactly how I did it. Much easier that way.

Can't wait to see your results!  Of course, if you'd like to compare I'd be happy to swap heads! ;D ;D
Suppose I were an idiot, and suppose I were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. ... Mark Twain
2006 AVL Electra

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #182 on: May 31, 2014, 11:53:44 pm
That's exactly how I did it. Much easier that way.

Can't wait to see your results!  Of course, if you'd like to compare I'd be happy to swap heads! ;D ;D

Yeah. From my cold, dead hands   ;D

Hey. Maybe you can buy the whole thing in a few years when all this foolishness has to stop. It can't go to just anybody. 
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #183 on: June 01, 2014, 12:44:29 am
Hey!
Quit messin around and get that Fireball head installed .
 :)
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #184 on: June 01, 2014, 04:49:56 am
Hey!
Quit messin around and get that Fireball head installed .
 :)

Hey give the man a break!  He doesn't move as fast as some of us younger fellows.  ;)

Scottie J
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #185 on: June 01, 2014, 04:57:45 am
Hey. Maybe you can buy the whole thing in a few years when all this foolishness has to stop. It can't go to just anybody.

;) Just say the word!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Suppose I were an idiot, and suppose I were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. ... Mark Twain
2006 AVL Electra

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #186 on: June 01, 2014, 01:30:15 pm
I'd say he's moving pretty quickly.
He's the first one to get this level of mods on an AVL head!
In my mind, that makes him a leader!
 8)
Home of the Fireball 535 !

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #187 on: June 03, 2014, 02:13:09 pm
The re-assembly is commencing!
 8)

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #188 on: June 04, 2014, 06:21:20 pm
          Just a heads up for anyone considering the English made shrouded push rod adjusters for the AVL that are said to prevent the standard adjuster from jumping off the lifter (which I'm sure they do).

They are a son of a bitch to install. These adjusters (because of the shroud) make the overall length too long (at their shortest) to install without lifting the head to make the distance between the rocker & the lifter longer. Which is what I did (because my nuts weren't on yet). Then I removed my shims, let the head settle on the push rods & the head lowered itself as I adjusted the push rods to the correct length. I needed 3 more hands, but slowlee, slowlee, catchee monkee.

The only other way I see you could do it (with two more hands) would be to pry up on the rocker in some fashion (opening the valve) & slipping the push rod over the lifter & then into its socket on the rocker. No way could I do this alone.

Things go well, but it's very difficult & I'm on a different schedule than you healthy, uncrippled bastards  ;)   :) ;D so don't give me any shit, please.

Later today when I can move again I'll torque the head to 15, adjust the valves & crank it over veeery slowly & pray I feel no resistance for two full rotations. Then remove the head & read the tale of the clay. And if all that goes well, put it all back together again.

I'm considering going back to the stock adjusters for the 2nd assembly. There's no drama with them at all; zip zip & done. Very simple.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #189 on: June 04, 2014, 07:25:49 pm
Very good, George!

We will not give you any shit.
We are also getting old too!
 ;D

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #190 on: June 04, 2014, 09:19:45 pm
Very good, George!

We will not give you any shit.
We are also getting old too!
 ;D

I decided about a half hour ago! I ain't F-ing with those F-ing shrouded F-ing adjusters no' mo'. They just add more down on my knees time. Maybe with the engine on a bench & a helper I might install them. I'll just be careful to avoid 9,000 RPMs.

So I went down, lifted the head a bit & pulled the push rods out (I hadn't put the nuts on yet) & brought them up here & sat down on my wonderful, welcoming couch with said pushrods, a piece O' paper, a pen & a scale. Measured with the shrouded adjusters & the stock adjusters. The shrouded adjusters add almost 3/16 of an inch to the overall length, compared to the stock adjusters, which is why it's impossible to install them with the head screwed down.

I'm not fooling with them any more. Tomorrow I'll get the pushrods back in with the stock adjusters which is too easy to even talk about & proceed with the clay check. God willing & the creek don't rise   :)  ;) 
« Last Edit: June 04, 2014, 09:22:38 pm by tooseevee »

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #191 on: June 05, 2014, 02:28:44 am

I'm not fooling with them any more. Tomorrow I'll get the pushrods back in with the stock adjusters which is too easy to even talk about & proceed with the clay check. God willing & the creek don't rise   :)  ;)

Well, I couldn't leave it alone so went back down a while ago (it's 9:20) & installed the push rods with stock adjusters set very loose just so the upper ball would not fall away from the rocker socket. Put the nuts on & cranked them to 15 pounds. Adjusted the push rods per normal & cranked her over very slow & easy.

Ace, you'll be happy to hear the piston did not hit the exhaust valve. Tomorrow I'll pull the head & read The Tale of The Clay. I can do no mo' tonight. The only time my heart skipped a beat was when the exhaust valve started to open & I met the unfamiliar stiffness of the new valve springs. They're a bit stiffer I think. I thought for a second something had jammed.

And remember - don't feed them after midnight  ;) ;)

« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 02:31:28 am by tooseevee »

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #192 on: June 05, 2014, 04:07:01 am
It's the other valve that might have the issue

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #193 on: June 05, 2014, 06:25:08 am
I guess I don't understand why the crank couldn't be set so the piston is at TDC on the firing stroke and then the pushrods installed by removing the rocker arms?   :-\

Seems like if the tappets were at their lowest position and both valves were closed removing the rocker arms would allow the push rods to be installed fairly easily?   After they were in place it should be a no brainer to reinstall the rocker arms, caps and bolts.

Maybe it's that funky compression release that's causing the issue?  :o

Never mind.   I forgot the AVL has those shafts going thru the rocker arms and was thinking about the old Iron Barrel and the UCE designs where there is a removable cap on the rocker arms.  :-[ :-[
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 06:35:36 am by Arizoni »
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #194 on: June 05, 2014, 08:54:56 am
A trick I use is to get the piston within about 1/2" of TDC compression - but not at the top to eliminate possible valve damage - and use something like a tyre lever or any other suitable means to lever the rocker arm to open the valve a little and slip the pushrod end in while the pushrod end of the rocker is raised, giving more space. It is a fiddly job and the fuel tank has to be removed for access, but it works with less faffing around than lifting the cylinder head  ;)
 B.W.