Author Topic: Tooseevee's AVL upgrade thread  (Read 90351 times)

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #90 on: April 14, 2014, 01:36:28 pm
Ace,

We're not putting new rings on my piston, right? (Less than 1,000 miles).
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #91 on: April 14, 2014, 01:56:48 pm
Ace,

We're not putting new rings on my piston, right? (Less than 1,000 miles).

Nope. No new rings.
We are confining our piston work to valve reliefs on the crown, only. And only minimal ones that won't be deeper than necessary.
I'll be going to Mondello's tomorrow, so I'll see how it's going.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #92 on: April 14, 2014, 03:27:32 pm
Nope. No new rings.
We are confining our piston work to valve reliefs on the crown, only. And only minimal ones that won't be deeper than necessary.
I'll be going to Mondello's tomorrow, so I'll see how it's going.

All is well. I won't start getting twitchy 'til around the 2nd week of May  :) ;) I'm entering my 3rd week as of today of fighting this horrible flu. Still can't kick the cough & the whole thing has drained me of all energy. I feel like anything I pick up weighs 100 pounds. I'm down to one pound less than I weighed in high school which should increase my power to weight ratio tremendously. After my engine's back together with its Ace modded head & piston & the Ace canistered TM tuned like a fine Stradivarius, I'll have to beware of lifting the front end off the ground & dumping myself in the street. Right now I'd be worried about being able to reach 20 pounds torque on all 6 head nuts in a single day    ;) Oh, poor Efing me   ;D
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Bill Harris

• Trail Rider
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #93 on: April 14, 2014, 06:31:40 pm
Tooseevee,

My 2006 AVL did not come with hardened washers under the head nuts in the rocker boxes too.  The nuts outside of the boxes do.  I have run it this way for 35,000 miles with no ill affects that I can see.  Maybe they are not needed in there.  The head nuts on my AVL have flanges on them.  Can someone shed some light on if hardened washers are needed or not under the nuts in the rocker boxes on a AVL engine?

Royal Enfield people are good people

Cheers,
Bill     
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 06:49:05 pm by Bill Harris »

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #94 on: April 14, 2014, 10:44:49 pm
Tooseevee,

My 2006 AVL did not come with hardened washers under the head nuts in the rocker boxes too.  The nuts outside of the boxes do.  I have run it this way for 35,000 miles with no ill affects that I can see.  Maybe they are not needed in there.  The head nuts on my AVL have flanges on them.  Can someone shed some light on if hardened washers are needed or not under the nuts in the rocker boxes on a AVL engine?

Royal Enfield people are good people

Cheers,
Bill   

Ya know, that's very interesting. You're the first to mention it since I mentioned it. Why do you suppose the 2 inside the boxes are missing? Must be from the factory. I was the first to pull my head & now you say you found the same thing.

There are machined recesses for those 2 missing washers in the head, they are listed as Head Nut Washer (6) in the parts book & yet those 2 are not there. Do you suppose they just didn't want to fiddle around with getting them on the studs on the assembly line?

Did your flanged nuts fit into the recesses? Mine didn't. The circumference of the flange grabbed the shoulder & would not fit into the recess to hit the bottom flat. The washer is necessary to fill that recess.

Anyway. I found washers that fit the recess. I emoried both sides smooth & flat. I had to grind the hole just a hair to fit the stud.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2014, 10:56:16 pm by tooseevee »

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #95 on: April 16, 2014, 12:49:08 pm
They are working on the combustion chamber re-shaping right now.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #96 on: April 16, 2014, 01:34:28 pm
They are working on the combustion chamber re-shaping right now.

Here's how happy THAT makes me:  :) :) :) :) :)

Do you think you could send me a picture when the seats are in & finished & beFORE you install the valves? I'd like to be able to document things to a new owner (which must happen some day no matter how much I don't want to think about it).

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #97 on: April 16, 2014, 02:54:09 pm
           Here's how happy THAT makes me:  :) :) :) :) :)

Do you think you could send me a picture when the seats are in & finished & beFORE you install the valves? I'd like to be able to document things to a new owner (which must happen some day no matter how much I don't want to think about it).

Okay.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #98 on: April 16, 2014, 06:00:12 pm
Okay.

:) :)

PS: It snowed here last night.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #99 on: May 06, 2014, 06:39:47 pm
Okay, the custom valves came in, and the chamber and port work is commencing.
It is looking like a couple of weeks to completion now. Maybe less.

It appears that the head gasket is thick enough to provide enough piston to valve clearance, so I think we won't need to cut recesses into the piston crown.

Will update when we have some more info.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #100 on: May 06, 2014, 11:36:31 pm
Okay, the custom valves came in, and the chamber and port work is commencing.
It is looking like a couple of weeks to completion now. Maybe less.

It appears that the head gasket is thick enough to provide enough piston to valve clearance, so I think we won't need to cut recesses into the piston crown.

Will update when we have some more info.

Happy Dance  :)   :) Happy Dance   :)

Be really sure about the valve clearance (I know you will). It would be horrendous to jam a valve first trip down the road.

Here's what I did a few weeks ago. I was bored:

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #101 on: May 06, 2014, 11:39:26 pm
            Happy Dance  :)   :) Happy Dance   :)

Be really sure about the valve clearance (I know you will). It would be horrendous to jam a valve first trip down the road.

Here's what I did a few weeks ago. I was bored:

And another
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 11:42:30 pm by tooseevee »

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #102 on: May 07, 2014, 06:42:54 pm
Looks good!  How did you do that?
Suppose I were an idiot, and suppose I were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. ... Mark Twain
2006 AVL Electra

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #103 on: May 07, 2014, 10:37:32 pm

First take off as much as you can of the original black. I used the coarsest Scotch Brite. A doubled up piece works good between the fins until the fingers give out. Then do some more the next day:
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 10:39:58 pm by tooseevee »

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #104 on: May 07, 2014, 10:43:10 pm

Next make a mask using the head gasket as a pattern.

Stick it down with Rubber Cement (it rubs right off later).