Author Topic: Tooseevee's AVL upgrade thread  (Read 90305 times)

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
on: January 17, 2014, 06:20:50 pm
Hi!
I got Tooseevee's head in today, and am going to bring it over to the shop for mods.
I don't know exactly what Tooseevee wants done to it yet, so I thought we could start a thread to talk about it, and all you AVL guys can get in on the act.

This is the first AVL that we are getting a chance to work on at Ace.
Should be a lot of fun!

AVL community participation invited!
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: January 17, 2014, 06:26:11 pm
Hi Ace,
 No surprise really, but I will follow this with interest and if I can help in any way with my 'previous' with these machines, I will be happy to do so  8)
 B.W.

TejK

• Bulleteer
  • 'BlACk'
Reply #2 on: January 17, 2014, 06:43:15 pm
I don't know exactly what Tooseevee wants done to it yet, so I thought we could start a thread to talk about it, and all you AVL guys can get in on the act.

Finally !!! Tell us how it flows and then make it flow, make it flow more, I say !!!  ;D

This should be fun !!

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: January 17, 2014, 07:24:12 pm
Baseline flow test will be first on the agenda, for sure.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #4 on: January 17, 2014, 08:11:36 pm
       Well, I am indeed surprised & honored. I am not worthy   ;)

I never dreamed I would be the subject of a whole thread (It's OK. As I said "I'm honored").

I've already asked Ace the first question which must be answered off-forum. I'll wait for his answer before I say more. 
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: January 17, 2014, 08:35:08 pm
Will report after I meet with Mondello's about this.

I like to make everyone's project fun!

Adrian

Reply #6 on: January 18, 2014, 11:39:00 pm
I'd love to see their comments on the standard inlet and exhaust tracts, and the way the factory fitted the valve seats with the valve sides protruding into the combustion chamber and the other (on the inlet side) sticking out into the inlet tract. :o Plenty to keep them busy... 

A.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: January 19, 2014, 04:50:32 pm
Well, on this particular head, the inlet port entry measures 38mm wide by 39mm tall.
Perfect for about 8500 rpm, which would never be seen by this engine.
Gotta wonder what these people at RE are thinking!!!??
At least the carb flange has a 33mm I.D. so we can actually use that part.

Anyway, the valve seat installation on this particular head don't seem to have much excessive overhang. Probably varies from head to head, just like we see on the Iron Barrel.
The valves seem to be the same diameter as the ones in the UCE. Chamber too.
We will upgrade these valve springs to do away with that strange AVL valve behavior at 5800 rpm.

The good news is that it looks like there could be a good fit for the same roller rockers that we use on the Big Head. This would be a plus!

Since I'm not expecting Tooseevee to be running around much at 8500 rpm, I'll see what I can get the guys at Mondello's to recommend about making this port smaller, for an appropriate rev range for this street engine.

Will need to raise the compression some. Will need to discuss this with Tooseevee.

Tooseevee's main goals are midrange torque, and easier highway cruising at moderate rpms.

Overall initial impressions are that we can help this head out quite a bit.
Port is crazy large. Valves are not.
Looks like a good candidate for roller rockers.
Piston may need changing if the valve lift gets too close to the flat top piston crown. Compression would need adjustment to suit the rocker ratio change.
Build quality of the head looks fairly good, compared to the Iron Barrel.

Adrian

Reply #8 on: January 19, 2014, 09:53:01 pm
If you could find a way to eliminate the valve bounce on the standard cams that would be a major step forward...  8)

Perhaps a more secure valve collet arrangement could also be devised.

Regards,

A

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: January 19, 2014, 10:36:24 pm
If you could find a way to eliminate the valve bounce on the standard cams that would be a major step forward...  8)

Perhaps a more secure valve collet arrangement could also be devised.

Regards,

A
Hi Adrian,
I think our beehive springs will do it.
With the kind of harmonic control they have, I would be surprised if any bounce remained.
We'll have a look at the collects too.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #10 on: January 19, 2014, 11:51:13 pm

Will need to raise the compression some. Will need to discuss this with Tooseevee.
Piston may need changing if the valve lift gets too close to the flat top piston crown. Compression would need adjustment to suit the rocker ratio change.

Uh oh   :-\   Yer scarin' me a little   :)

RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: January 20, 2014, 01:48:43 am
            Uh oh   :-\   Yer scarin' me a little   :)

Okay.
Well, let me formulate up a plan of attack first, and then we can commence with the real scarin'!
 ;D

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: January 20, 2014, 01:59:31 pm
Oh this is cool. Thanks 2CV for taking the first plunge for us AVLers
Suppose I were an idiot, and suppose I were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. ... Mark Twain
2006 AVL Electra

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: January 20, 2014, 03:04:43 pm
Oh this is cool. Thanks 2CV for taking the first plunge for us AVLers

We will soon know if we can use our roller rocker package from the Big Head Iron Barrel in this AVL head. If we can, then that holds big promise for the power potential from these AVL engines, and wouldn't require an entire new development process.
Just from my initial eyeballing of the rocker area, it looks promising that it might work.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: January 20, 2014, 03:21:24 pm
You sure have your work cut out for you right now Ace!  Between taking on 2CVs AVL AND my twin heads, you must be really crunching some new numbers you haven't had to deal with before.  But I can't think of anyone else that could possibly work the magic better than you can.  :)  I really hope those Big head rockers will fit the AVL.  That'd be sick!

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King