Author Topic: Tooseevee's AVL upgrade thread  (Read 90268 times)

armando_chavez

• Grease Monkey
Reply #285 on: January 29, 2016, 03:30:12 am
haha they are a little bouncy especially going up the seaside heights bridge :)  i would like to do the same prob going to go to 535 as well. id like a reliable 75mph cruise bike top speed just over the ton.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #286 on: January 30, 2016, 01:32:43 am
What ever happened to this bike?  Ive been super interested in this ever since it got done. being a sparkplug 20 something year old ive been in and outa trouble on top of being a college kid, so i havent been able to do it.  hopefully i will get my avl done this coming spring summer.

did this bike ever get dyno'ed or top speed?

I apologize, Armando. I just haven't been able to spend any time here.

I had to do a bit more tweaking after I wrote Post #271 in August 2014. I did a bit the rest of the good weather of 2014 and again the first part of 2015's riding season. I looked back and found I didn't keep good notes so I can't comment on details; I think I went back to the 17.5 Pilot and it came good at 1.5 or 1.75 turns out on the Mixture Screw. I was also fouling NGK 8s very quickly and going to 9s (Ace's suggestion) totally solved that. Who knows  ???. The 9 looked gorgeous for the rest of the 2015 riding season and the bike has run perfect. It ran great before, but it would decide to permanently foul a plug on kickstarting so bad that that plug would NOT fire again. I proved this empirically three different times (by putting in a new plug and getting an instant start then putting the fouled (cleaned) plug back in and it would NOT fire).

As I've said before, Ace's and Mondello's head work was worth every penny. I will never regret it. That plus the TM-32 with Ace's canister, the free flow empty Brit short bottle "silencer" and removal of all the PAV stuff and the hot tube from the header pipe has made it a totally different engine which I've talked about previously in other posts.     

No, it's never been dynoed. Ace has already guesstimated at what the HP increase should be (it's in this thread somewhere) and I don't care enough to truck it to where I might find a dyno. There isn't one anywhere near where I live plus my Medicare won't cover it  ;)

No, I've never cared to hold WOT in 5th long enough to find out top speed. The speedo can't be trusted anyway. I may still put a digital magnetic pickup mountain bike speedometer on it like the one I put on my shovel. They are incredibly accurate*. All I know is that it gets to 60 really quickly, smoothly and with no straining feeling in any gear. I've done 65 a few times for a mile or so; no pain no strain. It begs for more, but not from me  :(  To be perfectly honest, I don't like the wind beating on me any more. I just wanted the engine to run the way it was meant to run and that's all I ever wanted. 

BTW I use 97 octane with just a hint of MMO.

The last mods were 7" headlight with black rims and black visor and black pilot light lens rims. I have to be careful now because boredom equals spend $$$ on bike (there's no more to do to the house) and if I buy one more piece of black powder coat I'll have to black out the whole bike or it will look silly. 

* Here's what I'd REEEly like to put on it:

http://www.classicmotorworks.com/koso-tnt-digital-combination-speedometer-tachometer-for-bullets/

and tires, but it's really silly the way I ride now.

Here are a few pictures from I think September last year. I thought about that garage door for years and finally did it last Summer. Every panel will get a second coat next summer.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 01:44:10 am by tooseevee »
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

kayak65cuda

• Scooter
Reply #287 on: March 01, 2016, 05:46:24 am
Love it. I'm so glad I found this post. Ace, I'll plan on sending my head to you.

Question, if I want to maintain torque, should I stick with the stock cam? I'd like to cam upgrade but I don't want to lose torque. Sounds like 2CV has plenty. Also, he says he is running 97 +add. I do want to maintain pump gas (around here that's 92 octain). Thanks
MotorcycleMuscleCarsPowerWagonKayakingBackpaking
'08 AVL Enfield, '74 Suzuki CT185
Past rides: '99 KZ1000P, '80 Suzuki GS750

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #288 on: March 01, 2016, 12:12:53 pm
Love it. I'm so glad I found this post. Ace, I'll plan on sending my head to you.

Question, if I want to maintain torque, should I stick with the stock cam? I'd like to cam upgrade but I don't want to lose torque. Sounds like 2CV has plenty. Also, he says he is running 97 +add. I do want to maintain pump gas (around here that's 92 octain). Thanks

Don't worry about losing torque.
It will gain torque.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Black Yak

• Scooter
Reply #289 on: February 06, 2022, 04:48:14 pm
Great little piece of info on the fouling of the spark plug, I nearly pulled a muscle trying to kickstart my  Electra x until i read this thread, new NGK BR9ES spark plug and she started first kick! Back on the road home! (Riding from Georgia to Ireland)