Author Topic: Tooseevee's AVL upgrade thread  (Read 91108 times)

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #270 on: August 02, 2014, 09:42:26 pm
Bumping this back to the top. How's the bike 2CV?

Many things have kept me from riding/writing. Wet, too hot, pain, my last big This Old House project going into Month Two. Very detailed, very time-consuming. Hour on, hour off, repeat. Moan on couch.

Many Pilot jet switches with many mixture screw adjustments. I'm back to the original #30 now with exactly 3 full turns Out on the air screw. This is the ONLY setting that will give me reliable, repeatable kick starts. Any other setting & I can't trust it not to kill me if I go somewhere & shut it down for a few minutes when hot. I can trust it now; First start in the morning: One kick key off, richener pulled. Two (sometimes 3) kicks key on. Tiny bit of throttle when it first fires. In ten or 15 seconds you can let go & it will idle like a watch. When hot & shut down up to an hour just kick NOTHING else. After an hour it wants the richener again for one kick.

It runs marvelously well out on the road or around town. That's all I can say; "Marvelously well". I'm not the best motorcycle review writer for this bike. I've never ridden a "sport bike" or been a canyon runner & only had a Brit bike for one riding season, a 250cc vertical single BSA (mid-'50s as I remember). I rode it from Providence to the Block Island ferry in Jan '60 & rebuilt it on the island that Winter It was beat to death & had no generation at all. I stopped twice at gas stations on the way to the ferry to charge the battery for an hour AND froze my young punk ass off! But I HAD to have a motorcycle  :)  :)  I left that bike on Block Island when I left & have been a garage-built harley rider the rest of my 77 years.

I love this little black bike & all I know is that it runs Grrrrate!. Thanks, Ace. And everybody else who's given me hints or advice. OR smart-ass remarks  ;D  ;)  :)       
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 09:49:13 pm by tooseevee »
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #271 on: August 02, 2014, 09:56:00 pm
     Now for another question on this horrible rainy day:

I've noticed that the left side vent tube on the TM-32 is always wet. Not a drip, but just wet. I get fuel on my finger if I tickle the end of the tube. This is true for even a short, just-a-warmup, run in the garage to keep my kicking leg from atrophying.

Is that a right-on-the-edge float height warning?

Just what ARE those vent tubes for? 
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

azcatfan

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2002 Bullet ES
Reply #272 on: August 02, 2014, 09:59:36 pm
Great bike 2CV, I only wish I could hear/see/smell it!  Now that it is tuned, you have the reward of riding when you're up for it rather than working on it, congrats!   8)
-2002 Bullet ES Up-Jetted with Ace Air Canister and punched HD Exhaust.

My MotoVlog Channel:  http://tinyurl.com/nnso3av

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #273 on: August 02, 2014, 11:08:30 pm
If the tube is on the bottom of the bowl the float level could be to high. If it comes out of the top it's a vent and could be venting vapor out. That's my guess. I don't know what a TM 32 looks like I'm just guessing.  ERC 
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #274 on: August 03, 2014, 12:51:17 am
I think the plastic vent tubes are to carry the gas away from the air intake if you get grit under the float needle holding it open and causing the carb to flood and carry on flooding, thereby draining your gas tank onto the road, and thus achieving a slight decrease in the fire risk! That's what the otherwise excellent VM 32 Mikuni on my old BSA did to me once, before I fitted an in line fuel filter. Dell'Orto PHF's also have them, though they're black. Perhaps Mikuni think we just love pink spaghetti draped everywhere, part of the inscrutable Japanese sense of humor?

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #275 on: August 03, 2014, 12:57:41 pm
I think the plastic vent tubes are to carry the gas away from the air intake if you get grit under the float needle holding it open and causing the carb to flood and carry on flooding, thereby draining your gas tank onto the road, and thus achieving a slight decrease in the fire risk! That's what the otherwise excellent VM 32 Mikuni on my old BSA did to me once, before I fitted an in line fuel filter. Dell'Orto PHF's also have them, though they're black. Perhaps Mikuni think we just love pink spaghetti draped everywhere, part of the inscrutable Japanese sense of humor?

A.

I'm getting no drips from the float bowl overflow tube which says my float valve is working & the height is OK. The other two (pink ;)) tubes are up high on each side of the slide chamber.

I'm getting a very small amount of fuel out of the one on the left side & I'm not exactly sure what that means. No fuel vapor out of the one on the right tells me they each have a different job. The exploded diagram gives me no clues.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #276 on: August 03, 2014, 01:11:48 pm
It's a vent.
The fuel vapor in the tube is most likely condensing on the tube wall.
I wouldn't worry about it.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #277 on: August 03, 2014, 02:24:25 pm
It's a vent.
The fuel vapor in the tube is most likely condensing on the tube wall.
I wouldn't worry about it.

Hokay  :)

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #278 on: August 03, 2014, 02:44:04 pm
Glad you have it all tuned up and running well.  But it sucks that your body isn't allowing you to enjoy the reward.  I'm getting close to 40 years old and some days my back doesn't even like sitting in the car let alone ride my bike, so I feel your pain.  Well, my pain anyways.   ;)

Scottie J
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

armando_chavez

• Grease Monkey
Reply #279 on: January 28, 2016, 04:49:39 pm
What ever happened to this bike?  Ive been super interested in this ever since it got done. being a sparkplug 20 something year old ive been in and outa trouble on top of being a college kid, so i havent been able to do it.  hopefully i will get my avl done this coming spring summer.

did this bike ever get dyno'ed or top speed?

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #280 on: January 28, 2016, 05:49:10 pm
What ever happened to this bike?  Ive been super interested in this ever since it got done. being a sparkplug 20 something year old ive been in and outa trouble on top of being a college kid, so i havent been able to do it.  hopefully i will get my avl done this coming spring summer.

did this bike ever get dyno'ed or top speed?

I still have the bike, Armando. I'll probably die flopping around on the garage floor after just kick starting it. Hope it doesn't seize up before somebody finds me   ;)

I'll write again later today. I just lost everything I wrote (almost an hour) because my two pictures were too large and rather than allow me to resize them and reattach them, the whole post gets deleted :o >:(  >:(
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 05:53:15 pm by tooseevee »

armando_chavez

• Grease Monkey
Reply #281 on: January 29, 2016, 12:31:34 am
The anticipation....

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #282 on: January 29, 2016, 01:26:37 am
ive followed this thread as well for a while  and it has provided me with inspiration. Actually, mine is ripped apart and the head is with Ace for some fireball magic.  Got lots of plans... we'll see how far i get  ;D
Suppose I were an idiot, and suppose I were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. ... Mark Twain
2006 AVL Electra

armando_chavez

• Grease Monkey
Reply #283 on: January 29, 2016, 01:38:55 am
you have an AVL head in for fireball'ing?

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #284 on: January 29, 2016, 02:30:41 am
Yeah!  Pretty much doing the same as 2CV with maybe a decomp added to the head. Also pulled that estarter and plan on replacing the rear shocks... Hate bouncing thru corners.
Suppose I were an idiot, and suppose I were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. ... Mark Twain
2006 AVL Electra