Author Topic: Tooseevee's AVL upgrade thread  (Read 91456 times)

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #255 on: June 28, 2014, 04:59:36 pm
Hey 2CV,

Thanks for posting the update!  How's the low end torque with the head work?  I think I'm following your footsteps this autumn.

Starting: I had exactly the same problem youre having. Here's how I've been getting 1 kick starts, cold and warm: 

1. Air screw.  Set it up as usual (sounds like you have). Then rich it up by 1/8 or less turn cw.

2. One prime kick. No choke and no key.

3. Find Your kick starting position.

4. Key on, kill switch on, choke off for summer.

5. Lightly grab throttle and take out slack in the cable. A very light touch. Anything more and she'll kick back thru carb.

6. Kick thru and if it catches, roll throttle a bit.

If she does not catch and is being a bitch :-*, choke on and repeat. Close choke almost immediately after start. If that doesn't work, choke off and clear chamber. Back to step 5.

I'm thinking with all the alloy at cold, the AVL wants just a wee bit more air and by lifting the slide just a tiny bit seems to make all the difference. I saw this as well with my CV carb when I opened the intake and exhaust. Just a different technique with the TM. Hope this helps.
Suppose I were an idiot, and suppose I were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. ... Mark Twain
2006 AVL Electra

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #256 on: June 28, 2014, 05:49:03 pm
Hey 2CV,

Thanks for posting the update!  How's the low end torque with the head work?  I think I'm following your footsteps this autumn.

The low end torque is great for it only having the (Only?  ;) The headwork was amazing) headwork done & a different carb. I don't ride like this normally, but I can cruise easily on a flat road with a nice steady throttle at 30 in 4th then quite easily pull right out to 50 in 4th without a hiccup or a fart.

I've found very similar results to yours in the tuning process (& I expected this. It's no surprise). The throttle thing is most important. You can lose it after it fires once or twice if you're not "just right" on the throttle fondling. And, yes, I've found that just a C-hair open on the throttle is what it wants.

It started perfect just a few minutes ago after my video attempt. If it started like it just did most of the time I would be in Shit City without one complaint.

And you're right about it's happy a little rich. So is my shovelhead.
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #257 on: June 28, 2014, 06:02:23 pm
Great report! I'm glad that everything is starting to gel for you, you deserve it. Best of luck and keep keeping us informed.
Also, a video walkaround would be cool. ::)

I took a video, but I guess only EYE get to see it. It will NOT upload for some reason.
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #258 on: June 28, 2014, 10:47:22 pm
This AVL job is a little different than the Iron Barrel Fireball.
It leans a bit harder on compression and combustion efficiency, and a little bit less on air flow. We accentuated the strengths of this somewhat more modern head design, as compared to the different strengths of the vintage Iron Barrel head.

It was a very interesting exercise, and a lot was learned because we were not afraid to push the envelope. And now, the performance envelope for the AVL extends somewhat further than previously thought

I think for higher rpms than 6000, or for 535 displacement, more flow from higher lift would be appropriate. But, for a 500 with mods only in the head/intake/exhaust, and nothing down below, it is quite a bump, especially in the torque department. I should think that this will be popular, partly because it is an easy install, basically just a head swap.

Based on reasonable estimation criteria of a 15% compression increase yielding 15% torque increase, and that there is enough breathing to get to 6000 rpm, we can calculate thus:
28.75 × 6000/5252 = 32.84 hp at the crank.

For 6500 rpm it might be more like 35 hp at the crank.

And if the breathing adds more torque than just the 15% compression increase , then the hp will also be higher yet. Depending on the rpm and torque figures, we may be looking at anywhere from 10-15 peak hp increase.
So, those would be some rational estimates which are probably in the ballpark. More would be possible with cams and/or ratio rockers.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 11:33:20 pm by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #259 on: June 29, 2014, 02:58:43 am
           Read the last paragraph again. That's what I'm doing; one kick Key Off Choke ON. Two kicks (sometimes 3) choke off key on.

And I haven't done anything to the needle jet or the needle. They're the same from day one.
:-\

Sorry about that post 2CV, I guess I didn't have enough coffee in me yet when I read and responded to that post.   

and +1 on cracking the throttle a hair when cold.  My bike won't even sputter when cold if I don't crack the throttle a bit.  Personally, I get the piston in starting/kicking position and then roll the throttle back to where I like it (about an 1/8 throttle) and then grab a handful of front brake to stabilize my hand on the throttle and the bike itself.  Then I try kicking her to the moon.

Scottie J
« Last Edit: June 29, 2014, 02:52:56 pm by High On Octane »
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #260 on: June 29, 2014, 04:45:05 am
            I've found that just a C-hair open on the throttle is what it wants.

Imperial, Metric or British C-hair  ;)?  Ours have a bit of each!
Suppose I were an idiot, and suppose I were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. ... Mark Twain
2006 AVL Electra

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #261 on: June 29, 2014, 10:45:27 pm
            I took a video, but I guess only EYE get to see it. It will NOT upload for some reason.

Does anyone know why a .MOV video won't upload here?

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #262 on: June 29, 2014, 11:12:56 pm
.mov files are not listed as an accepted file type in the attachment section of this site.
One way around that is to upload the file to a file sharing site that accepts those files, such as photobucket maybe?, and then post a url link here in a post, so that we can click the link and watch the video on the other site.
Hope that helps.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #263 on: June 30, 2014, 12:34:49 am
.mov files are not listed as an accepted file type in the attachment section of this site.
One way around that is to upload the file to a file sharing site that accepts those files, such as photobucket maybe?, and then post a url link here in a post, so that we can click the link and watch the video on the other site.
Hope that helps.

So let's see if this works. I forgot I had a photobucket account it was so long ago.

http://s381.photobucket.com/user/tooseevee/library/?sort=3&page=1

I guess it worked. It's jerky like a monkey fucking a football from getting down on my knees & back up plus I can't see the screen in the sun at all. Oh, well...
« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 12:44:39 am by tooseevee »

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #264 on: June 30, 2014, 12:54:40 am
Looks great!
Clean as a whistle!

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #265 on: June 30, 2014, 03:06:57 am
Looks v good!  Video came thru perfectly. Thanks.
2006 AVL Electra

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #266 on: June 30, 2014, 02:31:31 pm
Nice vidio ,smooth enigine.
The valves sounded kinda like wind chimes to me .
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

Chuck D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #267 on: June 30, 2014, 04:57:34 pm
Nice vidio ,smooth enigine.
The valves sounded kinda like wind chimes to me .
;D Beat me to it.

Lovely lookin' bike!
Ace "Fireball"#10 (Beefy the Bullet to her friends.)
 "Featherbed" frame by Rofomoto.

2017 Triumph T120

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #268 on: July 03, 2014, 07:35:02 pm
I'm hoping to hear about some riding experiences on this bike over the holiday. Hopefully, the weather will permit.

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #269 on: July 27, 2014, 01:22:11 am
Bumping this back to the top. How's the bike 2CV?
2006 AVL Electra