Author Topic: Tooseevee's AVL upgrade thread  (Read 90309 times)

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #225 on: June 14, 2014, 02:58:35 pm
Hey 2cv, I just wanna chime in my congratulations on a job well done.
And for whatever it's worth, My usual start up with the TM32 goes something like this:
1.With ignition off, Choke nob up, kick through once. Reset kicker.
 2. Choke nob down, Key ON, kick to start.
And NO throttle!
3. Rev throttle lightly after about 10 seconds of idling.
The aforementioned is for cooler days (60F and below) and a cold engine.
Warmer than that, I usually only need a 1 kick through (key off) with no choke. Then the starting kick.
Most summer days I dispense with the initial primer kick altogether and just go for the money shot.
As DanB mentioned, I've also found the air screw very sensitive with only 1/4 turn adjustments needed. as the seasons change.

Wishing you all the best!
Chuck.

Thanks, Chuck. I tried exactly that earlier this gray, very damp, warm morning. You can squeeze water out of the air with your hands.

One kick choke pulled key off. Two kicks choke off key on & it was running. Had to really quick increase idle speed screw a little.

In a minute or two the idle speeds up by itself & wants to be slowed down. Does yours do that?

Also after it's warmed to where the banjos are hot, it's just a hair slow to return to idle (no, it's not the cable) so I might be a little lean in the mixture. I don't want to change it now because it starts so good. When I'm able to get the engine actually hot I'll play the mixture screw game.

It sits and runs solid as a rock at any RPM up to, I suppose, 2,000 sitting in the garage. It sounds REALLY good (have I said that before?  ;) ) & there's none of that "Oh, I'm too rich" stink. It even SMells good! 
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #226 on: June 14, 2014, 03:18:01 pm
On my twin I had to settle on a happy medium for the idle speed.  Cold idle lugs just a hair for about the first minute or so, but I blip the throttle when it's cold anyways.  Then after it warms up it settles in at about 1100-1250 RPMs.  A little bit higher than I like a warm idle at, but I don't like baby sitting the throttle when it's warming up either.  I never just jump on and go, so when I hear the idle speed increase a couple hundred RPMs I know she's ready for riding.   :)

Scottie J
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #227 on: June 14, 2014, 03:34:47 pm
If you want a stable hot idle, you have to set the carb adjustments when it's hot. This way, it won't stall on you when it is hot and you are at a stoplight or whatever. It might make it a little bit more cranky when  cold idling, but it might be okay, and you can blip it occasionally during warm-up if you have to.

IMO, as long as it starts relatively easy, it is better to have it stable when hot. Being a little cranky when cold helps to enforce a sufficient warm up time, which will help avoid unwanted engine problems. Just don't ride off until it's warm enough to reach thermally-expanded engine clearances. This is key in all air cooled designs, because they have such a wide range of temperatures that the clearances need to get to operating temps or excessive friction may occur.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #228 on: June 14, 2014, 03:56:51 pm
              In a minute or two the idle speeds up by itself & wants to be slowed down. Does yours do that?

Yep!  Exactly like mine. I thought at first my step up was wrong, but have learned this is ok. I just make sure the bike warms up. I believe it's all that alloy on our AVLs....
Suppose I were an idiot, and suppose I were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. ... Mark Twain
2006 AVL Electra

Chuck D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #229 on: June 14, 2014, 04:23:55 pm

Yes it does but only by a few hundred rpm's as the engine warms. Even at full operating temps I find that the rpm's will fluctuate from one stoplight to the next somewhat. My sweetspot idle is right at 1500 rpm. That just sounds right to my ear, with the engine neither racing nor laboring to rotate.
And as Tom notes, best to set the idle speed with a hot engine. I think you'll find as I have that this carb is flexible enough to give you relatively easy cold starting (once you get your routine down pat).
Chuck.

Ace "Fireball"#10 (Beefy the Bullet to her friends.)
 "Featherbed" frame by Rofomoto.

2017 Triumph T120

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #230 on: June 14, 2014, 07:40:53 pm
             Well, things were going too well   >:( :(

Got all the disaster I had left over the past month straightened up. Tank on nice & easy with new hard poly washers, no wires or cables trapped, hoses all experimented with & finally hooked up, dumped 2 gallons fuel in the tank, turned petcock on & as Wyatt said to Billy in the campfire scene in Easy Rider "We blew it, Billy. We blew it".

I had checked that cheezy plastic fuel filter they put on that petcock (I shoulda left it alone it was fine before) & I either crossed it or stripped it slightly & I had a 2 drop/second drip.

Shit >:( :-[

So I went through all the drain the tank BS while holding a rag under the drip. Thankgod I had only bought 2 gallons of gas.

So I'll look for a new petcock now after I eat. godi'mstarvingdidn'thavebreakfastjust coffee   
« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 11:43:52 pm by tooseevee »
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #231 on: June 14, 2014, 08:10:34 pm
Stuff happens.
If I had a nickel for every time I had some problem come up, I'd be a millionaire.
You'll get it straightened out.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2014, 08:32:53 pm by ace.cafe »

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #232 on: June 14, 2014, 11:13:40 pm
Bummer.  :(  Like Ace said, stuff happens.  At least it's just a petcock/filter problem, it could be way worse.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #233 on: June 14, 2014, 11:55:15 pm
Bummer.  :(  Like Ace said, stuff happens.  At least it's just a petcock/filter problem, it could be way worse.

This is the petcock. The $40 plus shipping one:

http://nfieldgear.com/enfield-store/fuel-tap.html

It's gone up $10 since the last catalog I got.

I'm in the mood right now to just seal it up permanently (the filter threads) with J-B Weld so I can ride tomorrow.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #234 on: June 15, 2014, 12:27:44 am
            This is the petcock. The $40 plus shipping one:

http://nfieldgear.com/enfield-store/fuel-tap.html

It's gone up $10 since the last catalog I got.

I'm in the mood right now to just seal it up permanently (the filter threads) with J-B Weld so I can ride tomorrow.

That could work.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #235 on: June 15, 2014, 12:30:56 am
Wow, those prices are absurd!  I paid $20 for a PAIR of petcocks and I bought them in town.  Maybe before JB Weld try some Permatex Sealant #1.  I used it on my new petcocks and they don't leak a drip.

Scottie J

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #236 on: June 15, 2014, 01:16:43 pm
Wow, those prices are absurd!  I paid $20 for a PAIR of petcocks and I bought them in town.  Maybe before JB Weld try some Permatex Sealant #1.  I used it on my new petcocks and they don't leak a drip.

Scottie J

I went down around 6:30 last night & pulled the petcock. I cleaned the whole thing especially the plastic threads with carb cleaner & dried it all good with the hair dryer.  I used this stuff I've had around for a long time. It's really good stuff for things you don't want to use J-B Weld on. I used it to make my remote gas jug & nary a leak:

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/seal-all-contact-adhesive-and-sealant-380112/7010007-P?jadid=31043623525&jap=1t1&jkId=gpt:pt_134962&js=1&jsid=34339&jt=1&jr=http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/seal-all-contact-adhesive-and-sealant-380112/7010007-P

I'll get it all back together later this morning & see how it goes. I want it to dry really well. I don't choose to die in a flaming ball of death today if that cheezy plastic filter falls out  ;)

Then I'll order a new one.  I hate to pay for that plastic filter, but the threads have to match the male tank fitting. 

Adrian

Reply #237 on: June 15, 2014, 02:59:11 pm
I'll get it all back together later this morning & see how it goes. I want it to dry really well. I don't choose to die in a flaming ball of death today if that cheezy plastic filter falls out  ;)

Yeah, that's not quite the sort of Fireball Tom is trying to sell ya!  :o  Is your local Fire Department on standby?

Regards,

A.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #238 on: June 16, 2014, 01:51:06 pm
Yeah, that's not quite the sort of Fireball Tom is trying to sell ya!  :o  Is your local Fire Department on standby?

Regards,

A.

Best laid plans of mice & men aft gang aglay...

I had the best of intentions yesterday (Sunday) when I was hi-jacked by Father's Day & my daughter & twin grandchilds turned up & hung around most of the afternoon.

I'll try harder today  ;) after we do the groshery store thing  >:(  It's been a long time.

I did get a nice 2' Picea glauca conica out of it. Now I hafta dig a damn hole  :(

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #239 on: June 17, 2014, 11:40:04 am
     Well, I got a Round Tuit late yesterday afternoon & cranked the old girl up in the garage & let 'er warm up. Then I backed her out & was getting my hat & jacket situated & noticed a drip drip drip & an increasingly spreading puddle of gasoline on the concrete. Oh, shit! Didn't notice it before because the bike sits on an old kitcken hooked rup in the garage.

Anyway. I've got a really good float bowl overflow leak so today I've got to go get a new can of carb blower & see if I can blow it clear with the float bowl off without having to pull the needle valve. I'll have to pull the carb to do that otherwise I'm afraid of bending something.

Have any others had luck blowing this needle valve clean?  I'm off now to get the wife's oil & filter changed plus the cable guy's coming between 8 AM & 5 PM  :) ;) Godknows what I'll get done today. Bike sounded good in the driveway  >:(