Author Topic: Tooseevee's AVL upgrade thread  (Read 91974 times)

Adrian

Reply #165 on: May 26, 2014, 10:19:41 pm
I may have to sell a kidney... :(

A.

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #166 on: May 26, 2014, 10:25:35 pm
I may have to sell a kidney... :(

A.
Well I hope that doesn't mean I am going to be needing one  ;D
 B.W.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #167 on: May 28, 2014, 09:45:26 pm
Tooseevee,
There is a medium sized box coming your way by Priority Mail.
Everything is in it.
A good rinse with mineral spirits,  blow dry, and a pre-lube of all the moving parts would be the first step.
We will talk.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #168 on: May 29, 2014, 07:08:32 pm
Tooseevee,
Everything is in it.
A good rinse with mineral spirits,  blow dry, and a pre-lube of all the moving parts would be the first step.
We will talk.

Awright   :)   :) I'll be waiting for it with "baited" breath.

And............. Drum Roll:

The cable was put in the mail yesterday from SUDCO direct to my driveway  ;D I got to a guy who got to a guy who gave me a guy's Ext.. By then I guess my story was all over SUDCO & Motion Pro. I can't actually verify yet that the carb end is correct. We shall see. I'll post some pictures of both when it gets here.
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #169 on: May 29, 2014, 07:40:44 pm
It should fit. That"s the cable we use for the TM32 carbs for the Fireball. It's the same cable that comes in the CMW 34mm carb kit.

I can tell you that the slide spring is a bitch to hold back when you are installing the cable into the slide. It's like a 3 handed operation. If you can get some help from somebody to hold that spring while you hook the cable into the slide, it is a bit easiwr.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2014, 09:34:23 pm by ace.cafe »

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #170 on: May 29, 2014, 08:44:50 pm
I can tell you that the slide spring is a bitch to hold back when you are installing the cable into the slide. It's like a 3 handed operation. If you can get some help from somebody to hold that spring while you hook the cable into the slide, it is a bit easiwr.

I use 2 zip ties as an extra hand. Insert one, compress spring - not too tightly, then insert 2nd. Keep the lock of the tie on the outside, otherwise you'll never get all the pieces thru the spring and back between the slide and the carb top housing.
Suppose I were an idiot, and suppose I were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. ... Mark Twain
2006 AVL Electra

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #171 on: May 29, 2014, 09:11:20 pm

I carefully grab the cable with a pair of needle nose pliers and slide them up the cable to compress the spring and to hold it out of the way.  It takes a bit but once you get the right position you can use the needle nose pliers to guide the cable end into the small hole on the slide.  An extra hand definitely always helps tho.

Scottie J
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #172 on: May 29, 2014, 10:00:57 pm
I carefully grab the cable with a pair of needle nose pliers and slide them up the cable to compress the spring and to hold it out of the way.  It takes a bit but once you get the right position you can use the needle nose pliers to guide the cable end into the small hole on the slide.  An extra hand definitely always helps tho.

Scottie J

Not so simple a job as on the BS-29, I gather from you, Ace & DanB. I hope I don't have to change needles &/or groove clip position too many times. My hands no longer do what I order them to do. Maybe I'll be lucky. But why should THAT happen ?    :) ;)
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #173 on: May 29, 2014, 11:17:45 pm
            Not so simple a job as on the BS-29, I gather from you, Ace & DanB. I hope I don't have to change needles &/or groove clip position too many times. My hands no longer do what I order them to do. Maybe I'll be lucky. But why should THAT happen ?    :) ;)

I actually have an Amal concentric at the moment, but the slides are set up the same.  Once you have the cable inserted correctly in the slide, needle changes aren't too bad.  You just push up and compress the spring and you can work the needle in and out without too much trouble.

Scottie J

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #174 on: May 30, 2014, 02:11:41 am
Adrian was very nice to create a side-by-side composite picture of the stock AVL chamber vs the new ACE chamber.

I am attaching it below for your viewing pleasure.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #175 on: May 31, 2014, 04:39:48 pm
I actually have an Amal concentric at the moment, but the slides are set up the same.  Once you have the cable inserted correctly in the slide, needle changes aren't too bad.  You just push up and compress the spring and you can work the needle in and out without too much trouble.

Scottie J

No, you can't on the TM 32. To get the needle out you HAVE TO remove the little part that holds the cable end to the slide. You can't get the two tiny screws loose with the cable attached & the spring & the cap. At least I can't see now how you'd do it.

I'm going to try hooking the carburetor end up first & THEN attaching the throttle grip end. It will give me more cable length to play with. Has anyone tried this?

Probably won't work  :( >:(

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #176 on: May 31, 2014, 04:53:49 pm
Tooseevee,
Everything is in it.
We will talk.

The new ACE AVL head arrived late yesterday afternoon. I could not face the computer last night. I am very happy & very impressed with the work that I can see was done. The chamber is totally reshaped & the valves are "huge". The work inside the ports is beautiful.

The ACE canister was also there. Goes without saying that it's just the best.

Also on the same truck Friday afternoon was the correct throttle cable (ordered Tuesday) & yes, it fits. It appears the throttle grip end ball might have to be Dremeled a TINY bit. It's a hair wider than the stock one on the bike. The carb end is perfect.

Don't look for a running bike tomorrow (OR the next day) guys. I work very slowly. 

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #177 on: May 31, 2014, 04:54:48 pm
            No, you can't on the TM 32. To get the needle out you HAVE TO remove the little part that holds the cable end to the slide. You can't get the two tiny screws loose with the cable attached & the spring & the cap. At least I can't see now how you'd do it.

OK, maybe the TM32 is a different design than I was thinking.

I'm going to try hooking the carburetor end up first & THEN attaching the throttle grip end. It will give me more cable length to play with. Has anyone tried this?

Probably won't work  :( >:(

I've done this before trying to lubricate the cable without getting into the carb.  It's a small PITA to get it back together but it's doable.

Scottie J

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #178 on: May 31, 2014, 06:21:57 pm
OK, maybe the TM32 is a different design than I was thinking.

I've done this before trying to lubricate the cable without getting into the carb.  It's a small PITA to get it back together but it's doable.

Scottie J

I blew my load this morning carrying stuff up & down & cleaning up all the little messes I left in the garage from last week. So now I can start all over.

The last thing I did before I came up was scope out the throttle end of that new cable. Yes. I DO have to Dremel the ball. It will not fit as is through the hole it has to go through in the throttle grip housing. Once that's done then I'll have to futz it into the hole & width of the rotating
part of the throttle. That'll be much later this afternoon.

It's all part of the tangled web we weave when first we practice to modify what the factory & the Feds thought we wanted.

The wrist pin's in the freezer   :) ;)
« Last Edit: May 31, 2014, 06:24:41 pm by tooseevee »

azcatfan

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2002 Bullet ES
Reply #179 on: May 31, 2014, 06:23:59 pm
Go ahead and get two cables and mod them now so you'll have a spare...
-2002 Bullet ES Up-Jetted with Ace Air Canister and punched HD Exhaust.

My MotoVlog Channel:  http://tinyurl.com/nnso3av