Author Topic: Tooseevee's AVL upgrade thread  (Read 92285 times)

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #150 on: May 24, 2014, 11:58:34 pm
You clearly haven't checked Ebay or Amazon.  The part number doesn't exist in the retail world apparently.

It's a SUDCO part number.

There are 8,362 part numbers in the SUDCO catalog; all in the xxx.xxx format.

Motion Pro part numbers are in a completely different format.

RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #151 on: May 25, 2014, 12:19:25 am

Sadly for most of us AVL owners this can be a little tricky. As the ignition is crank triggered and non-adjustable you'd need to play with some of Hitchcock's offset alternator rotor keys, though you MIGHT get away with elongating the trigger's mounting holes with a small round file. But then again it might actually run better with the ignition "over" advanced. Some of the guys on the British Bulleteers' forum have been successfully running 37 degree BTDC full advance on tuned iron barrel models with the classic hemi head. Given that the AVL head is a more modern design, and you have improved this one still further, I would be surprised if the stock ignition did need retarding. My AVL hybrid's magneto is set to about 35 degrees BTDC fully advanced.

Regards,

A.

I'm hoping & praying that I do NOT have to f**k with the electronic ignition's timing on this little bitch. I can set the gap & timing statically at full advance in about 10 minutes on my points harley & be on the road, all I need is a test light & you can make one of those out of a flashlight or a taillight bulb, but the AVL is a horse of a different color.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2014, 12:21:50 am by tooseevee »
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #152 on: May 25, 2014, 12:20:42 am
                 It's a SUDCO part number.

There are 8,362 part numbers in the SUDCO catalog; all in the xxx.xxx format.

Motion Pro part numbers are in a completely different format.

Exactly.  I know the trouble you're having because I've been trying all week to get this exact same cable.  It's kind of a PITA to try and track down.  And I can't for the life of me find any kind of cross reference ANYWHERE.

Scottie J
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #153 on: May 25, 2014, 02:34:01 am
Try ebay, loads on there if nfield gear doesn't have any.

Tom,

something I just remembered:

Sadly for most of us AVL owners this can be a little tricky. As the ignition is crank triggered and non-adjustable you'd need to play with some of Hitchcock's offset alternator rotor keys, though you MIGHT get away with elongating the trigger's mounting holes with a small round file. But then again it might actually run better with the ignition "over" advanced. Some of the guys on the British Bulleteers' forum have been successfully running 37 degree BTDC full advance on tuned iron barrel models with the classic hemi head. Given that the AVL head is a more modern design, and you have improved this one still further, I would be surprised if the stock ignition did need retarding. My AVL hybrid's magneto is set to about 35 degrees BTDC fully advanced.

Regards,

A.
Well, we'll just have to see how it goes.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #154 on: May 25, 2014, 04:25:19 pm
Now, notice the difference that was done to the AVL combustion chamber.

Pic #1 is the stock AVL chamber

Pic #2 is the Ace Chamber

Note that the Ace chamber is completely different shape for improved flow, has bigger valves, is more compact for higher compression, has more squish area for improved mixture motion, and is coated with the CerMet Thermal Barrier coating.

Yes, there is a little scar on the metal near that one edge of the chamber, but that whole thing was all welded-up, and re-shaped by hand, and then surface milled for flatness. The little scar will not be any problem. Didn't want to mill the head down any further than that.

That was a huge amount of work, and a will be a great improvement to the power of the bike. This is a major step forward on the AVL.
There might need to be a little retarding adjustment on the ignition timing, but we'll see how it does first, and adjust if needed.
9.8:1 compression ratio on this.

This can also be done to the UCE, because the UCE chamber is the same as the AVL.

Very nice work Ace !  And yes it can be done to the UCE chamber. And it will work well too... Mine is not quite the same , but very close.  They did a nice job on that chamber..... that is skilled work,very nice stuff.
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #155 on: May 25, 2014, 04:51:06 pm
Thanks, GHG!

Here are those pics again, in case anyone didn't catch them(and the other pics) on Page 9

Stock Chamber

Ace Chamber
« Last Edit: May 25, 2014, 05:51:39 pm by ace.cafe »

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #156 on: May 25, 2014, 11:31:29 pm
In case anyone is wondering why we would want to change the shape of the combustion chamber, have a look at the shape of this winning 1500hp Pro-Stock chamber.

Our chamber is not shiny because we have the Thermal Barrier coating applied on it.
The shape is very similar, and the variations are due to the fact that our head has a different port bias angle, so the flow pattern is different.
The aim is to burn the mixture as rapidly and completely as possible, so that the most power can be extracted from the fuel. It's great to get a lot of fuel/air in there, but that's only half the battle. Then we have to completely and efficiently burn it to make power. That's where the combustion chamber work pays off. You can't measure this on anything like a flow bench. This just comes from experience of knowing what works.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2014, 11:44:37 pm by ace.cafe »

Adrian

Reply #157 on: May 25, 2014, 11:44:20 pm
Glad to see the improved head still has room for a second spark plug (or decompressor valve  :-X ) !

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #158 on: May 25, 2014, 11:52:20 pm
In case anyone is wondering why we would want to change the shape of the combustion chamber, have a look at the shape of this winning 1500hp Pro-Stock chamber.

8)
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #159 on: May 26, 2014, 01:40:05 am
Thanks, GHG!

Here are those pics again, in case anyone didn't catch them(and the other pics) on Page 9

Stock Chamber

Ace Chamber

Yes very..... Hot rod 454 small block-ish.  And I would imagine a shop like Mondello's would be well versed in that motor.  Hell.... probably the most tuned on motor going, and they make some stunning power.  Mine is not quite as "open", for a bit more compression and ridged right up to the valve pretty much.... polished to help reflect the heat and cut down on carbon build up.  But honestly, you don't get much carbon build up from an efficient burning chamber like that.  That will efficiently swirl the mix and center the burn over the center of the piston crown, and helps give it more shove over tdc . If you pull that head after you put some miles on the bike and look at the piston crown, You can see where all the "work" is getting done.... It "works" well on a flat top AVL or a dished UCE.  Just like it would in a Small block Chevy....I'm a believer in the flat tops. And NO need for a second plug on that !..   TCV will pick up a few ponies for sure.  8)
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #160 on: May 26, 2014, 01:54:44 am
2CV: I hope this motor sees them S cams.

dginfw

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #161 on: May 26, 2014, 03:43:18 am
I know the AVL motors have improvements over the iron barrel, but how much work had to be done to the bottom end on his motor?
Dave in TX:   '01  W650- keeper
                    '12 C5 military -sold
                    '14 Continental GT-  sold
                    '06 Iron Barrel Bullet- Ace Clubman mods

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #162 on: May 26, 2014, 03:53:47 am
I know the AVL motors have improvements over the iron barrel, but how much work had to be done to the bottom end on his motor?

None, so far.
The AVL has a steel con rod and a roller bearing, and higher volume oil pumps.
They aren't the world's greatest ones, but it gives more leeway than the Iron Barrel, which needs a whole new bottom end right off the bat.
The AVL has some other problems that the Iron Barrel doesn't have, so it's not all roses here either.

Bullet Whisperer

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #163 on: May 26, 2014, 01:34:32 pm
2CV: I hope this motor sees them S cams.
Thanks B.W.!

I agree that the AVL platform has potential of that level or more, if it was modded with what we can do now.

The AVL guys have been waiting a long time. Maybe we should do a collaboration on an AVL for somebody?!
I am happy to share anything I might be able to help with on this or other projects. The last of the latest batch of 'S' cams went last week, making 20 sets so far - some of these went in 'Iron' engines, but the majority went into AVL engines. All feedback to date has been positive.
 That headwork looks very impressive, Ace  8) 8).
 B.W.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #164 on: May 26, 2014, 02:43:02 pm
I am happy to share anything I might be able to help with on this or other projects. The last of the latest batch of 'S' cams went last week, making 20 sets so far - some of these went in 'Iron' engines, but the majority went into AVL engines. All feedback to date has been positive.
 That headwork looks very impressive, Ace  8) 8).
 B.W.

Thanks, B.W.

Now, all we need is a guy with an AVL, and desire for more power!
The "Dynamic Duo" awaits!
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 03:02:57 pm by ace.cafe »