Author Topic: UNI air filter in BS29 for Classic350  (Read 7425 times)

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #15 on: February 18, 2014, 01:33:17 pm
Thanks for the comments Bare. So how often you need to clean and oil film the K&Ns. Do they require frequent maintenance?

Only you can answer that question depending on what your riding conditions are. I've had K&Ns on harleys ( cars) for 40 years or more. I never ride in dirty conditions so I can't comment (most of the Baja cars use K&Ns). I clean them once a year whether they need it or not. Like Bare sez, they hafta be oiled to work right.

I've had a K&N on my modified RE for years (on a BS 29). Runs fine.

I don't know what the huge deal is over "maintenance". You pick a day, you pull the filter off, you clean it with the cleaner (takes ten minutes), you let it drip-dry in the sun & go cut grass or something. Later you oil it & let it sit a while & go do something else. Later you put it back on.

If you don't want to clean & oil a K&N once in a while, use dry paper ones & buy a new one every time.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 03:41:25 pm by tooseevee »
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

mcplorer

• Scooter
Reply #16 on: February 18, 2014, 04:32:02 pm
Thanks a lot Scottie for the valuable input. Now it gives me enough reason to not to go for K&N but then neither I am getting a reason to go for UNI either ;D
Cheers!

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #17 on: February 18, 2014, 04:45:52 pm
Thanks a lot Scottie for the valuable input. Now it gives me enough reason to not to go for K&N but then neither I am getting a reason to go for UNI either ;D

Maybe we should start off with a question.

What is it that you think you are going to get from a UNI filter that you think you can't get from anything else? 

Are you aware that all the  535 Fireballs use a pleated paper filter element, and they produce much more power than your bike does.
The paper filter obviously isn't holding those bikes back.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 04:48:49 pm by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: February 18, 2014, 04:47:18 pm

Double post, sorry.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 04:49:24 pm by ace.cafe »

mcplorer

• Scooter
Reply #19 on: February 18, 2014, 05:26:32 pm
Maybe we should start off with a question.

What is it that you think you are going to get from a UNI filter that you think you can't get from anything else? 

Are you aware that all the  535 Fireballs use a pleated paper filter element, and they produce much more power than your bike does.
The paper filter obviously isn't holding those bikes back.

Not bad idea :) . First this stock air filter is fitted in the air filter box so I assume (I assume) they won't suck better than UNI which would be open.

Now K&N is no no for me as here in India it would suck lot of dust as well.
Let me know if my assumption is wrong
Cheers!

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: February 18, 2014, 05:50:47 pm
Okay, there are several subjects there that should be addressed.

The first one would be the stock airbox. I understand that the stock airbox does not seal perfectly at the joints. This is an issue, and it should be better sealed to keep dirt out. I think it should be possible to do this.
The stock filter element is probably not great, but it might be okay.  The people over here with the export 500 models seem to do all right with them. Perhaps you could try an export 500 filter element. It would probably fit right in, since a lot of the 500 parts interchange with the 350. Or perhaps a thread in the UCE forum might yield a good element that will fit in.

Regarding the "closed in" aspect of the airbox, this is actually much better than an "open" air filter in a variety of ways. It pulls cooler air in to the system from a location which is not directly behind the engine fins. The "open" filter gets hot air coming right off the hottest part of the engine fins. Cooler air gives better power.
Also, the airbox and its connecting hoses support the carburetor, and help it to not stress any connector hoses between the carb and the head. In the Iron Barrel models, the airbox plays a very important part in this regard.
Also, the long connnector hose plays a part in the intake tract, which helps low rpm torque. The long hose to the airbox acts like a tuned port which assists low rpm torque to develop. And it works with the airbox to create a large volume of still air inside the intake tract, which is good for throttle response. Pod type filters do not have this, and often suffer from poor throttle response.

So, in my view, sealing the cracks in the airbox, and getting a good flowing paper filter element would be the right thing to do on that engine. Or else, for an upgrade, get an Ace Air Canister, which is what some of the UCE 500 people here have done. Look at its design, and it will show you what a properly designed air filter should do.

And to reiterate what was previously said, UNI filters have shown poor performance to me and several of the previous contributors to this thread, which indicates they are likely a poor choice from any aspect.

I wonder who it is that is trying to promote the use of UNI filters on your bike?
Whoever it is, I would stop taking their advice about engine matters.

mcplorer

• Scooter
Reply #21 on: February 18, 2014, 06:27:40 pm
Ace, I cannot thank you enough for all your valuable advice and comments. It's really great to take out time and reply with precision and detail to someone's query. Thank you and appreciate it. Will surely keep in mind few things you said :)
Cheers!

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #22 on: February 18, 2014, 08:03:15 pm
Or else, for an upgrade, get an Ace Air Canister, which is what some of the UCE 500 people here have done. Look at its design, and it will show you what a properly designed air filter should do.

There was a time a while back when you stopped selling your ACE air canisters for liability reasons. Care to comment on how you dealt with it & what changed?

Either way I'm glad something changed  ;D
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

mcplorer

• Scooter
Reply #23 on: February 18, 2014, 08:23:52 pm
Or else, for an upgrade, get an Ace Air Canister, which is what some of the UCE 500 people here have done. Look at its design, and it will show you what a properly designed air filter should do.

But then how to get that/or order here in India?
Cheers!

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: February 18, 2014, 09:23:45 pm
           There was a time a while back when you stopped selling your ACE air canisters for liability reasons. Care to comment on how you dealt with it & what changed?

Either way I'm glad something changed  ;D

I make them on request, to order. I don't mass produce them anymore.
Anyone can order one if they want it by contacting me offline. I now spray the lid with a matte clear finish which diffuses the light rays from focusing into a tight spot.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: February 18, 2014, 09:27:26 pm
But then how to get that/or order here in India?

They are available to amyone, including people in India.
Unfortunately,  shipping to India is fairly costly, so I don't get many orders from there. But some people in India have ordered them. I have sent a few there.