Author Topic: Dunlop K70 feedback  (Read 23148 times)

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
on: January 15, 2014, 11:27:01 am
Hello everyone!

Hope all of you are in good spirits. Just making this topic with respect to the Dunlop K70 tyres (tires). After riding approximately 11,200 miles on the stock Avon tyres of my Bullet 500, I decided to swap them with 3.5''x19'' tyres both back and front. The main problem I had with the stock tyres was really not a problem but just the look of the skinny Avon 3.25''x19'' tyre at the front. It looked quite skinny on a bike of such calibre. For me at least. And the rear had quite a flat profile.

Over time, along with the positive comments I get on this Enfield, a few have pointed out that the tyre at the front really does look skinny, lol. After this much time, I still had so much tread/life left on the stock tyres...approximately another 6000mi on the front and about 15000+ on the rear Avon 3.5''.  :-X

Handling wise, I had no problems with the stock tyres. I actually really like(d) them. There had been a few moments whilst riding where it felt like the bike was slipping under me though.

Anyways, instead of putting the tyres on myself, I decided to take off the tyres and get them changed at a local bike shop. I just didn't want to ruin the rims working on them myself, even though I'm aware that damaging/scuffing the rims can be avoided. Whilst the tyres were at the bike shop, I decided to clean the rear brake + grease the cam etc at home.

Here are a few photos of how they look on the Bullet 500.

They balanced the wheels and added weights also -

Front

Rear

Overall view -

Comments on the K70 -

I'm happy.

First thing I noticed after putting the tyres back on and moving the bike using my feet (lol) was that the steering didn't feel heavy at all. It actually felt a lot lighter than the stock front tyre. This might be attributed to the fact that the tyre pressure on the front K70 was around 25psi as compared to the 19psi I used to keep the stock 3.25'' Avon at.

Went for a mini ride (about 25mi) and found the K70s to be a lot more responsive. Of course, at first the steering felt a bit heavy! But I am sure within the next few days I'll get used to it properly. The bike turns into corners much quicker and doesn't resist like the stock Avon tyres. The Avons used to push the bike back into a straight line by themselves whilst I was in a turn. So I had to keep counter-steering to complete the turn properly. On the other hand, I was having a little trouble bringing the bike back into the right road position after exiting a corner with the K70s lol. I was really used to the Avons.

But by the end of the ride, I was feeling much more confident and the bike was feeling more light. Overall, I'm pleased with the looks and the performance. I'm sure other tyres are better than these like the Pirellis and the Bridgestone variants barenekd and other members suggest in various other topics. But for now, I am happy. I'll try to ride a bit easy and keep the rear tyre pressure around 28psi to maximise the tread/life  :-\

Thanks for reading!
« Last Edit: July 09, 2017, 02:28:02 pm by JVS »
Sons continuing wars, our fathers were enemies

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: January 15, 2014, 01:29:14 pm
Nice write up and the tires look great...Lol on those everlasting Avons...It sounds like you're pleased with the K70's as most people seem to be...First time I've seen pics of weights on a enfield for balancing. The bike shop did ya good...GM
Oh Magoo you done it again

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: January 15, 2014, 02:19:01 pm
These weights are a first for me too.  ???
Looks like overkill or there is some other problem.
moriunt omnes pauci vivunt

azcatfan

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2002 Bullet ES
Reply #3 on: January 15, 2014, 03:46:42 pm
Kudos on the tire life!  I didn't think any motorcycle tires would last that long.  Thank you for the write up, very useful for the someday-upgrade in tires.  I was happy to read your comments on how the stock tires handle as that is my experience as well.

Great looking bike too...
-2002 Bullet ES Up-Jetted with Ace Air Canister and punched HD Exhaust.

My MotoVlog Channel:  http://tinyurl.com/nnso3av

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
Reply #4 on: January 15, 2014, 09:09:35 pm
The shop who swapped my Avons for K70s also put those sticky-weights on too.
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #5 on: January 15, 2014, 09:20:48 pm
I had my wheels balanced last time, seems to be smoother.  I'll do it every time from now on.

One of those wheels looks like it has a lot of weight, perhaps they didn't put the heavy mark on the tire opposite the valve stem.  They also probably should have split the weights over the two sides of the wheel unless that was done on a dynamic balancer.  Nitpicks really.  Balancing is better than not balancing.

Scott

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #6 on: January 16, 2014, 01:11:58 am
Thanks guys!

This is my first time also...for the weights. I was almost thinking that something really might be wrong, but boggy also has the weights with his K70s. Plus I didn't have no problems whatsoever when I was testing these new tyres yesterday. Scotty, I have no clue about how they balance these things, but they indeed have aligned the heavy mark on the tyre with the valve stem.  :D

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: January 16, 2014, 01:32:04 am

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #8 on: January 16, 2014, 02:28:16 am
Then it's all good.  Just more weight than if expect but it happens. Enjoy!

Scott

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #9 on: January 16, 2014, 05:06:18 am
Hi JVS, Congratulations on the improved tires. If you do like the improved handling, you would REALLY like the correct 3.25 (narrower tire) on the front, it lightens & quickens the front handling, even if it looks narrower. This is why the 3.25 is original specified size. There is very little extra room between the larger tire & front fender, take care not to dent or bend the fender, as this could cause it to grab the tire with disastrous results. You could always still put a narrow one on, & save the front 3.50 for a spare rear.
  I would also share a bad experience I had with stick on weights: Hot weather will cause them to fall off. I had one hit my face shield. Ever since then I have requested spoke weights (most Harley shops have & use them) On my last bike with cast wheels, I ran a bead of tile glue on either side of the weights, & none came off.  Happy Trails!
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #10 on: January 16, 2014, 09:08:43 am
Thanks for the link, Royalista. YouTube really has helped me a lot with many things. Now I know a bit more about wheel-balancing!

Craig, I know what you mean by the proper 3.25 at the front. It will be better than the 3.5 I have right now. But again, I was more after the cosmetic appeal. I might have lost some handling ability as compared to the 3.25 K70, but have surely gained enough over the stock Avon 3.25  ;)

I'll see how this goes...maybe I'll switch back to the 3.25 in the future again. And thanks for letting me know about the weights! I'll keep a look at these ones and make sure they stay on...summer is on full blast here in Aus  :-X

Catbird

• Grease Monkey
Reply #11 on: January 16, 2014, 01:05:56 pm
I think those K70 tires with their aggressive tread pattern would look great on my C5 Military.

Speaking of tire balancing, have any of you used the Ride-On (not Slime) product in their RE tires?  If so, any opinions you can share?
1972 Honda CB350 twin - sold
1976 Honda GL1000 Goldwing - sold
1996 BMW R1100RT - sold
2005 BMW R1200RT - sold
2011 Vespa GTS 300
2013 Royal Enfield C5 Military
2014 Honda CTX700N DCT
2014 Honda CB1100

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #12 on: January 16, 2014, 01:14:35 pm
Hello everyone!

Hope all of you are in good spirits. Just making this topic with respect to the Dunlop K70 tyres (tires). After riding approximately 11,200 miles on the stock Avon tyres of my Bullet 500, I decided to swap them with 3.5''x19'' tyres both back and front.

The K-70 is a good looking tire & I appreciate the pictures & the comments from everyone. I think it's going to be the next $$$ I spend on my '08 Classic after the head work.

Thanks JVS & everyone.
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #13 on: January 16, 2014, 07:06:16 pm
One of those wheels looks like it has a lot of weight, perhaps they didn't put the heavy mark on the tire opposite the valve stem.

Scott, can I ask for clarification?  The only mark my K70s had was a yellow painted dot, which I was told should be lined up adjacent to the valve stem.  Is there another mark which actually indicates the heavy side, which I can imagine one might want 180 degrees from the valve stem.  When you say opposite, is this what you mean?

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: January 16, 2014, 07:14:30 pm
The heavier steering is from the 3.50. AAs mentioned the 3.25 will lighten up the steering considerably. As for the Avon Skidmasters, the rear tire is actually intended for a sidecar setup, which is why it looks like a truck tire and handles like a truck tire and has very little traction when it is leaned over. It's the only way the 3.50 is available nowadays. Those Skidmasters are really horrible tires if you want any handling performance. Not to mention ugly!
Congrats on the K70s. They are a tremendous improvement over the Skidmasters.
As for the weights, most wheels have then. The mark on the tire is the lighter side so the weight of the valve stem is counteracted. The trueness of the wheel is also a factor in balancing the assembly. If the guys put them on at the shop they were surely needed.
Have you changed the fork oil yet and removed thesucge. that will give a you a much better ride. Also the tire pressures will change the ride characteristics. I don't thenk it makes much difference with the stock sludge in the forks as they aren't moving anyway. But putting fork oil in them will make air pressure changes quite noticeable in the smoothness and comfort of the ride.
Bare

2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: January 16, 2014, 07:19:34 pm
The yellow mark is the one that should be next to the valve stem. Sometimes manufacturers  use a red or white mark.
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #16 on: January 16, 2014, 09:32:41 pm
Yes, yellow goes next to the valve.  It's not the heavy spot, it's the light spot, so you put it next to the valve to limit the balancing weight needed.  There are other marks that mean other things, I don't remember what but I remember that I can mostly ignore them :)

Scott

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #17 on: January 17, 2014, 12:27:23 am
Ah so the mark on the tyre is the light spot ;o Thanks for the clarification.

Bare, unfortunately, I've had the fork legs off 3 or 4 times, but have been unable to open the 12mm top cap to change the fork oil. I've tried everything to open that cap, but it doesn't move at all. It feels like it is in there permanently. I contacted Hitchcocks too, they also mentioned that this newer design of the fork legs have been a pain in the butt for many other people trying to change their fork oil too.

They also said that they are trying to make a new tool or the like to make it easier for the top cap to come off. I'll try to contact them again regarding this. Other than that, the alternatives I have are buying new fork legs from e-bay and telling them to send the legs with the caps loosened. Or I can try draining the sludge from the bottom of the legs, where the allen bolt thinggy holds the damper rod? Either way, it has been a huge challenge and I gave up. The legs are performing satisfactorily at this stage..

I'm keeping the rear tyre pressure at 28psi and the front around 22-24 now.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #18 on: January 17, 2014, 12:56:46 am
RE already makes a tool, a big allen with a long T-handle on it. 

Have you tried an impact wrench?  You'd need to get a big allen bit that fits in and remember it's reverse thread ;) 

Scott

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #19 on: January 17, 2014, 01:06:59 am
Yes Scotty, that's what I've been using. The top cap doesn't move at all. We've tried some 'love taps' (a lot of striking), heat + striking, home-made circular vice and literally brute force of Hercules with an extended lever for more torque. But nope, it just doesn't wanna move  :-\

Haven't tried a dedicated impact wrench yet. To be honest, I still think even with an impact wrench it won't come off. I guess I have to leave it as is for now. I'm tired of taking off the tyre, brake caliper, speedo, fender and then the legs again and again lol. Once I get bored some other time and have nothing much to do, I will try it again...maybe with an impact wrench.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: January 17, 2014, 08:21:05 pm
I used an impact wrench on mine and they came out fairly easily. I never removed the forks from the bike. In fact, changing the oil was strictly removing the bottom nut covers and removing the allens and the top plugs. The wheel wasn't removed either. That was what really irritated me about waiting 10,000 miles to do it! It rode so much better after getting the sludge out, I couldn't believe it!
Bare
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 08:26:09 pm by barenekd »
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #21 on: January 17, 2014, 08:52:55 pm
It seems that some of the newer B5s and G5s need to remove the top cap.  They don't have the fill hole on the top any more, just a blind plug like the C5.

Scott

ROVERMAN

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: January 18, 2014, 05:33:05 pm
JVS, i hope you don't mind my input here, but i was reading your post and you mentioned you used 19 psi in the front Avon SM. This is way low for the original Bullet frame. I used 28 fr and 32 r on both my 2003 Iron Barrel and my 2013 B5. I tried much lower pressures once and it scared the crap out of me and didn't steer for shit. I would try upping the front pressure on the front K70 incrementally up to maybe 28 psi max and see how that feels, you might be surprised.
Roverman.
Thanks for the K70 feedback, they do look right!

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: January 19, 2014, 12:01:14 am
I used 18-20psi on both the skidmasters and the K70s. Much smoother ride, no handlinf difficulties with the k70s. It didn't matter how much was in the Skidmaster, they were always scary.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: January 19, 2014, 12:28:58 am
Walking by my bike today, headed toward the FRIGID outdoors, it occurred to me that from the SIDE VIEW, the 3.25 x 19" front tire, & the 3.50 x 19" rear tire, LOOK IDENTICAL in size. Thought I'd interject that tid-bit for the big tire guys, although it seems a losing battle sometimes. Just remember it makes Mother Nature angry when you overlook Scientific Facts & Physics. Trying to look cool to those who are better informed doesn't work.

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #25 on: January 19, 2014, 12:43:57 am
No worries, Roverman! Your input is always welcome, plus this is a community forum  ;)

See, I was following the manual. Front pressure is recommended to be 18-20psi and the rear at 28-30psi. I had no problems with these pressures and I was okay with it. Handling was acceptable for me also. Mileage was always good. I had been averaging 73.62mpg and on my last fuel-up I got 81.45mpg. This is with the stock tyre pressures.

Regarding the 28psi on the front K70. This is not a good idea because when I got the tyres back on, I checked the pressure and both were at 30psi. So I brought down the rear to 28 and the front to 27.6 or something. Now, when I went for a ride, I noticed that the front was 'bouncing' a bit more than it should...even on the flattest of roads. It was pretty obvious for me that it was the higher pressure at the front. So I reduced the front K70 pressure to around 24, and it has been running very well!

Craig, again, I'll bring my previous post in the 'k70' topic -

:D Sure the 3.25 is the desired size at the front, but I am willing to experiment. Call the 3.5 a rock crusher, but I am sure the little change in handling is not going to bother me a lot. I am not going at light speed here like an R1, CBR1000RR, Panigale or S1000RR, nor I will be doing the Isle of Man TT on an Enfield Bullet.

I will be riding for pleasure...whether it be city/town or the twisties, and I am prepared to put an extra effort in entering a corner with a 3.5 up front. It can't be that bad and I am sure I can drag the left footpeg + right brake arm all day long with the 3.5 up front also.

Again, this is my personal choice and will surely report on the ride when I swap to the K70s.

Of course you cannot argue with the facts, but I just made a little compromise in favour of looks as compared to performance. Trust me, the performance isn't really that bad, lol.

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: January 19, 2014, 10:06:57 pm
There's no k70s for the c5 though...18 inch...
My bad there's a 4.00 k70 in 18 but will these fit the front rim?
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 10:09:04 pm by Sectorsteve »

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #27 on: January 19, 2014, 11:25:58 pm
My bad there's a 4.00 k70 in 18 but will these fit the front rim?

It won't fit between the front forks, actually it's technically too big for the rim,too. And you probably like how the bike wold handle either. The steering would be slower and heavier.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: January 20, 2014, 02:12:38 am
Read somewhere that KENDA makes an line of 18" K70 knockoffs. I liked the Ching Shin K70 knockoffs real well, but now they've been discontinued. Look into the Kendas, if they copied the K70 they should be fine.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #29 on: January 20, 2014, 08:09:45 pm
Look into the Kendas, if they copied the K70 they should be fine.

Because they look like a K70 doesn't mean they'll work like a K70. Rubber compound makes a lot of difference! I have no idea how hard a Kenda is.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #30 on: January 20, 2014, 10:10:52 pm
I thought about those but I had a few Kenda bicycle tires when I was a kid and they weren't so great.  Still, I believe some people here have mounted them and gave good reviews.

Scott

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #31 on: February 15, 2014, 05:40:18 am
Just an update -

Handling wise, I am really used to the new K70s now. The steering feels very light, just like it did with the stock tyres. K70s are surely more responsive. Front is around 23psi and rear at 28psi.

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #32 on: February 15, 2014, 01:40:25 pm
I had the Kenda K70 lookalikes and they were very light and thin walled compared to any other tire I have ever had.  The handling was OK, but I got rid of them after about 200 miles as I upgraded to a 19" front wheel.  The Dunlop K70s that I put in subsequently are superb....great handling on my C5 with a 4.0x18 rear and 3.5x19 front.  Absolutely rock stable and confidence building at all speeds including in the rain.  The construction quality of the Dunlop K70 is very good, and truly surpass any lookalikes. I don't think I will ever use another tire on my C5 as long as these are available in the correct size for the Enfields.
2022 Continental GT 650 Dux Deluxe
2019 Himalayan Snow
2019 Interceptor 650 - Chrome...off the first boat!
Previous REs:
2021 Meteor 350 Supernova Blue
2014 Continental GT 535 - Red...lowest VIN off the first boat!
2010 Classic 500 - Teal Chrome

TomJohnston

• Scooter
Reply #33 on: February 15, 2014, 03:04:24 pm
tiresunlimited.com has a Dunlop K70 3.25-19 for $75.00. That's where I always go for any tire. Good service and phone calls are always answered

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #34 on: February 15, 2014, 08:05:17 pm
Bike Bandit
3.25-19 $71.95
3.50-19 $72.95
4.00-18 $75.95

Motorcycle Superstore
3.25-19 $71.95
3.59. 19 $79.95
4.00-18  $75.99

The 3.25 and 3.50s are always listed as front tires, but it doesn't make any difference, they're bidirectional.

2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #35 on: February 15, 2014, 08:55:06 pm
Flabbergasted I am  :o
We have to cough up double that amount.

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #36 on: February 16, 2014, 06:17:05 pm
I go with the lowest price and shipping cost (over 100 bucks free shipping would be good too).
Oh Magoo you done it again

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #37 on: February 16, 2014, 08:15:19 pm
I go with the lowest price and shipping cost (over 100 bucks free shipping would be good too).

Yeah, if you don't have a local shop to get tires from Bike Bandit is the way to go because 1 - they have really good pricing and 2 - they have free shipping on all orders over $100.
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #38 on: February 18, 2014, 04:21:16 am
I forget if it was Bike Bandit or Motorcycle Superstore, but when I had my shop install my last set of tires they said they couldn't get the as cheap as I did.

Scott

Candoman

• Scooter
Reply #39 on: February 19, 2014, 01:53:44 am
If you are a member of AMA, Bike Bandit will give you a 10% discount as well as the free shipping.
2012 Royal Enfield C5 Chrome
2009 Yamaha Zuma 125
2006 Suzuki Burgman 650

pmanaz1973

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #40 on: February 27, 2015, 07:38:36 pm
Sorry for dusting this one off guys-

A local shop is calling it quits and made me a smoking deal...like below cost sort of deal on a set of Dunlop K70s in 3.50X19 and a 4.00X18.

He did not have a 3.25X19 or a 3.50X18 so I went for the 3.50X19 for the front.  There was some discussion on if a 3.50X18 is even made anymore by dunlop in the K70 line.

Got them mounted, and installed them this morning and wanted to give folks a little feedback - My bike is a 2014 C5.

Fit - As you can see by the pictures, the front fender clearance is as tight as it comes.  Nothing rubbing or making contact at this point, but makes me wonder what a rock stuck in the tread is going to do. :o  I'll keep an eye on it and get back to you.

Look- The bike looks...well...chunkier, more substantial.  Not sure I like it, but the anemic stock front tire made the bike look a bit out of proportion.  I think a front 3.25 and a rear 3.50 would look better.

Handeling - Running 28psi front and 35psi rear.  Seems to handle just fine at low speeds, I would have to say maybe a tad heavier than before, but fine for my riding style and environment.  High speed running say 50-60mph feels more solid and seems to track much better.  I rode a bit on some gravel roads and this is where they really pay off - the stock Avons had me concerned on more than one occasion and these K70's stick and hook up well.

I now have to put a 2" thick board under the center stand to get the clearance on both the front and rear to spin the tires, so the new rubber  obviously made the bike a 1" or 2" taller.

1984 XL350R
1991 XR250L
1976 Harley XLH 1000
1993 CBR 600
1976 Norton Commando 850
1972 BMW R75/5
2014 Royal Enfield C5

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #41 on: February 27, 2015, 11:32:03 pm
If the front fender is a bit too tight for your liking, you can always use a round file or drill to ovalize the mounting holes and move it a touch higher.  Looks nice!

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #42 on: February 27, 2015, 11:39:07 pm
Good suggestion, Scotty. I pretty much have the same clearance and haven't had any issues with bigger rocks, however minute rocks that do get stuck in the tread (rarely on gravel roads) sometimes hit the fender from underneath. I don't mind. pmanaz1973, your bike looks great to me. Give it a week or so, you'll be comfortable with the handling. Experiment by lowering the front to about 24psi and rear 30.

pmanaz1973

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #43 on: February 28, 2015, 04:01:46 pm
JVS - I'll do that on the tire pressure and give it a shot.  Now that you mention if, I didn't notice anything getting stuck in the tread under the fender or hear any rocks sticking in the tread and making contact with the bottom edge of the fender. 

The look is growing on me.
1984 XL350R
1991 XR250L
1976 Harley XLH 1000
1993 CBR 600
1976 Norton Commando 850
1972 BMW R75/5
2014 Royal Enfield C5

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #44 on: February 28, 2015, 08:55:16 pm
Having gone back to a bike with radial tires, I can see why they replaced bias ply tires.  They are so much softer and confirm to everything in the road so much better.  Most bias ply tires are so stiff that running what seem like low pressures is fine and presents no danger.

Scott

pmanaz1973

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #45 on: March 01, 2015, 03:17:35 am
JVS-That tire pressure seems to work well.  I ended up going to 25 front and 30 rear.  I think I'll stick with that for a bit.

Thanks!
1984 XL350R
1991 XR250L
1976 Harley XLH 1000
1993 CBR 600
1976 Norton Commando 850
1972 BMW R75/5
2014 Royal Enfield C5

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #46 on: March 01, 2015, 04:29:50 am
Good suggestion, Scotty. I pretty much have the same clearance and haven't had any issues with bigger rocks, however minute rocks that do get stuck in the tread (rarely on gravel roads) sometimes hit the fender from underneath. I don't mind. pmanaz1973, your bike looks great to me. Give it a week or so, you'll be comfortable with the handling. Experiment by lowering the front to about 24psi and rear 30.
I'd run without the front fender until you A: get the correct size tire, or B: longer fender supports. I have seen a tight fender grab & cause a Face Plant. At speed those can be deadly. You can always use that tire on the rear someday. "Skinny tires handle better" You may quote me.

johno

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2012 B5 on the original Portland Dorset UK
Reply #47 on: March 01, 2015, 10:19:31 am
Just to add to the above advice, don't forget the tyre will 'grow' with heat and long distance travel, it might be fine when you set off then even if the tyre expands by a fraction of an inch you could end up with a shredded tyre in the least or a seized wheel at the worst. Raise the guard or fit a lower profile tyre (you can still keep the 3.5 but lower the sidewall height)
2012 B5 Bullet
 K&N, sport muffler, 18tooth fr sprocket, Avon style fairing, 1958 pattern British army haversacks. Mitas tyres DiD chain. Carberry plate.

pmanaz1973

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #48 on: March 01, 2015, 03:18:48 pm
I'd run without the front fender until you A: get the correct size tire, or B: longer fender supports. I have seen a tight fender grab & cause a Face Plant. At speed those can be deadly. You can always use that tire on the rear someday. "Skinny tires handle better" You may quote me.

Unfortunately, the front is a 19" and I looked at the Dunlop factory site and they do not make the 3.50 in a 18 any more, which is what the C5 may be able to run for a rear.

Thanks for the heads up, I'll keep an eye on it and see what's what.   Other members have been running the 3.50 in the front with no issues.

Thanks all
« Last Edit: March 01, 2015, 05:48:29 pm by pmanaz1973 »
1984 XL350R
1991 XR250L
1976 Harley XLH 1000
1993 CBR 600
1976 Norton Commando 850
1972 BMW R75/5
2014 Royal Enfield C5

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #49 on: March 01, 2015, 08:28:39 pm
I ran the 3.5x19 on my 2010 with the original fender and had no issues. I was forced to make longer struts due to the older style fork, but my clearance was still very tight at barely 4-5mm. I did switch to a skinny chrome 500 fender for looks. Since the search is down, I will try to find some photos. Your bike looks great. Thanks.

GSS
2019 Himalayan Snow
Previous REs:

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #50 on: March 04, 2015, 03:22:44 am
Pmanaz1973,
Here is a link to my old photos.  In response to your PM, the struts were made of 1/8" x 3/4" steel slats that are easily available at any hardware store. Hope this helps.

The second link is with a chrome fender.

GSS

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,12921.msg144524.html#msg144524

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,7829.msg180707.html#msg180707
« Last Edit: March 04, 2015, 03:32:31 am by GSS »
2019 Himalayan Snow
Previous REs:

pmanaz1973

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #51 on: March 04, 2015, 05:04:51 am
GSS- Thanks for the sugestion.  I'm going to work on my existing struts to extend them out about a 1/4-1/2".  Weld them up, re drill and see how that turns out. 

The tires work, but man they are tight and just look crowded in that front fender.  A entire new set of factory struts is under $45.00, so easy to take back to original if I so choose.  I'll post the results once I'm done.
1984 XL350R
1991 XR250L
1976 Harley XLH 1000
1993 CBR 600
1976 Norton Commando 850
1972 BMW R75/5
2014 Royal Enfield C5