Author Topic: The new Continental GT. New Forum member with a BIG question.  (Read 4015 times)

panther49

• Neophyte
Hi to all!
I'm new to the forum but a long time lover of Royal Enfields. Although never too attracted to the singles, the twins were another story. Back in the day my buddy owned a 750 Interceptor which I rode quite often. I had a 67 Bonneville but the Interceptor's torque was superior. I always wanted one but it never happened. I continued with Triumphs to this day. At present I ride a 68 Bonneville. From time to time I looked at the new Enfields just out of curiosity not seriously considering buying one... until I saw the news of the Continental!.
That is, until I read about the specifications and performance. For those that know more than me, why they can not extract but 29 meager horses and 84 MPH from this fuel injected, electronic ignition, 5 speed, light weight motorcycle for crying out loud????

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #1 on: January 13, 2014, 03:01:49 am
I guess it's like you said. " Never been attracted to singles." Forty HP would not be enough either.
However ,RE is a niche  market like no other.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #2 on: January 13, 2014, 03:10:19 am
Panther49 -

Here is a recent thread you may find interesting, which touches on your question, and many other things...

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,17964.0.html

panther49

• Neophyte
Reply #3 on: January 13, 2014, 10:08:28 am
Thanks for the answers. I know about the limitations of singles but their simplicity, specially dealing with only one carb makes them attractive. I owned a Yamaha SR5oo that was very satisfying, but I understand that the reviews of the Conti rate the acceleration kind of sluggish and that simply doesn't sound good enough. The ACE kit available for the iron RE's is apparently a good answer and probably they will develop one for the Continental but it will set you back almost two grand. I think that the only way to find out is to test one when they become available.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #4 on: January 13, 2014, 06:48:51 pm
It really does no good to wonder why the factory does not produce engines which have more power. The fact is that they do not.

I look at these bikes as basic platforms which can be upgraded to levels that are above what the factory provides. It costs money to do it. This is the reality of the situation.
Hope that helps.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: January 13, 2014, 08:40:26 pm
The top speed is more in the 95 mph range. I hope your aware that the SR500 was rated 29 bhp, not at rear wheel. It's top speed very similar to the Enfield. Most test riders have just gotten off some superbike when they start complaining about sluggish acceleration. Granted they aren't really rippers, but they are more than adequate for the standard traffic flow. The standard Bullets are quite adequate for the average traffic flow. It may be tough to keep up with 80 mph freeway traffic but you can easily fit into the slower lanes, and be passing people.  The Continental well be even better! And it'll be a lot more fun than most anything else there is to ride. Singles don't just keep hanging around because they are fast, They have a ton of that so called character and soul! More smiles/mile than about anything else out there. Every ride is an adventure.
I did have an SR500 so I do know of which I speak. Nice bike, but lacking the character.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Professor

• Bulleteer
Royal Enfield bikes are built for India. They are called locally the " Pride of India". Their export market is so very small. And the Indians are quite happy with it. They want to be a bigger player, but they know the limitations of this platform. The US and the NA American market in general is a very small market globally for all motorcycles. Where we shine is the huge touring bikes with large markups ie. BMW light trucks and Goldwings'. SE Asia is huge in terms of numbers. One month equates to a year here in terms of overall sales. India has huge potential as the middle class emerges. So, the answer is why? If you can build a bike that has high fuel mileage, is robust in design and does just fine with 27 HP with seven months of wait to get one.....why change for the US market that consumes 600 or so bikes out of 175,000 built.

After owning mine and riding it for a bit, I'd say this : on a two lane back road on a sunny summer day it may be just enough. And if it is not, I have a high tech 70HP 690 KTM Duke single that is more than enough. But, it is honestly is not better than the RE, just different. Sometimes when the planets align the RE is just right. I'm ever so glad I bought it. It is never about the race, it is all about the ride. Don't worry ACE will come up with a RE fix if you can't be satisfied.

rjshrm057

• Scooter
Hi panther49 welcome to the community, here is how i look at it, i think royal enfields are different because they don't try to be Triumph or harley, the beauty of RE and biggest selling point of RE is the fact that they make minimum changes, they could get into the BHP race and faster and quicker engine but than it will not be RE.

hyperhad

• Bulleteer
I have, like a lot of riders, had many bikes over the years.  I had a ZRX-1100 with over 90 horses.  I just picked up my Continental GT last week, and have been out on it just two times, so far (I was out of town for a week).  The riding experience if amazing.  I have no issue with the horsepower of the bike.  Even with the break-in procedure limiting speed to 50kph for 500km's, the bike is a joy to ride!  Yes, the shifting is a bit "loose", but I simply put a bit of pressure on the shifter, then clutch in the t shifts fine.  The bikes takes corners nicely, and this will only get better at the engine and transmission break in.  Happy I made the choice.  You will not be disappointed.  If I feel the need for high speed, I can take my Wife's Ninja out.

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
You will notice a difference as it breaks in as well
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com