Author Topic: Kick Start?  (Read 2285 times)

hyperhad

• Bulleteer
on: May 10, 2014, 08:29:54 pm
How do I kick start my Continental GT?  I tired on my second ride today.  The lever moved freely throughout its full range.  There was no point when I felt any resistance.  There is no reference to kick starting in the manual.
Any ideas?

Tks

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #1 on: May 10, 2014, 10:26:39 pm
1. If your bike runs there will be resistance. you aren't trying to do it with the clutch pulled in are you?
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

hyperhad

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: May 10, 2014, 10:49:59 pm
I was doing that Kevin.  Now that you mention it...It has been 35 years since I last used a kick start.  Guess I'll go out and try again.

I am following the break in as described in the manual for the bike.  A slow process, for sure!  But, worth it for the long-term.
Thanks,
Chris

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #3 on: May 11, 2014, 12:27:42 am
Chris,
I have personally done this myself, tried to start it with the kill switch off (several times) and even tried to start it while holding the decompresser in (iron barrel). Don't feel bad.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

hyperhad

• Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: May 11, 2014, 04:39:35 pm
Kevin,

Went out for a short ride this AM.  About 50 minutes in, I pulled into a parking lot, switched the bike off, and tried the kick start.  Two kicks was all it took.  Takes me back!
How closely did you follow the RE handbook break in on your bike?  I have just 165km on mine so far (Canada).  I hope to put on the full 2000km this season to have the bike fully rideable.  This was only our second non-rain day so far.  I will be getting wet on the bike, just not as much fun!

Chris