Author Topic: starting, running problems due to wiring  (Read 1234 times)

KB8ANY

• Scooter
on: January 08, 2014, 06:19:21 pm
My bike is a 2006 Electra X.

I finally bit the bullet and replaced the two fuse holders and the other plug-type connectors under the battery cover.  The final straw was on a ride in the cold last month, when I couldn't get it started, and when I snapped the fuse holder open to pinch the little clips together the fuse literally fell out onto the ground.

I was afraid to move my feet for fear of stepping on the fuse before I found it, and fell backwards onto the ground, much to the entertainment of the people watching from the fast food joint.

I soldered in automotive-type holders.  I replaced the other plugs by tinning the wire ends with solder, then crimping the usual plug connectors onto the ends, and then soldering again.  The connections can degrade again of course, but at least the solder will eliminate one variable.

This must have been creeping up on me for a long time, even though for a long while I had known to undo and redo the connections.  The kickbacks and backfiring disappeared, and I could feel the bike run better.

A minor side benefit is that the automotive-type fuse holders can be plastic-cabled into place easily - a benefit because the rubber mounts fell out years ago.

Good luck.

Paul