Author Topic: Rare Earth Magnets  (Read 3428 times)

Roger

on: March 12, 2008, 09:55:30 am
Hi everyone,

Hope the weather in the Northern Hemisphere is starting to get more rider friendly. About three months ago I posted a topic (Magnetic Attraction) about attaching Rare Earth magnets to the drain plugs on the engine and trans and finished of by saying I would report what I found when I next changed the oil.

I changed the engine oil on the weekend and found nothing... The oil tank drain plug had a little sludge in it and the strainers were clean. I even went to trouble of washing out the drain plugs and tipping the solvent onto a paper towel, some black crap but nothing metallic. This has to be a good sign.  ;D

I had also placed a couple of ferric iron magnets in the oil filter and again there was nothing clinging to them. I have a magnet attached to the transmission drain plug but didn't drain the transmission though, I will do this at the next service and will report my findings.

Roger.

LotusSevenMan

• Grand Gearhead
  • ...._[:]@==<
Reply #1 on: March 12, 2008, 06:15:53 pm
I have the same magnets on mine after reading your thread (thanks for the tip). Haven't done an oil change yet but hopefully they'll be as clean as yours.
I was lucky in that one of our suppliers uses these magnets attached to the track to alter the speed of its stairlift products as they arrive and depart at corners. They are very powerful aren't they?
LSM
If it ain't broke-------------------------- fix it 'till it is!

Royal Enfield Miltary 500cc  (2003)
Honda VTR FireStorm (SuperHawk) 996cc 'V' twin
Kawasaki KR1 250cc twin 'stroker
Ducati 916 'L' twin

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #2 on: March 12, 2008, 07:18:37 pm
I suspect you will see something when you do the tranny. The first few oil changes of bike transmissions are always bizarre, regardless of who manufactures it. My first change was heavy on the metalflake but not quite silver paint.
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

DireWolf

Reply #3 on: March 13, 2008, 08:10:38 pm
I suspect you will see something when you do the tranny. The first few oil changes of bike transmissions are always bizarre, regardless of who manufactures it. My first change was heavy on the metalflake but not quite silver paint.

My dealer told me to disregard any metal coming out of the gearbox on that first change, as long as part numbers weren't visible on the pieces......

Roger

Reply #4 on: March 15, 2008, 09:07:05 am
Thanks Guys...

You are right about the crunchy bits in the tranny, when I did the first change there was and assortment of bits and pieces in the oil. I have changed the trans oil twice since (total milage covered so far is 2000 miles/3200klm) and it has been clean.

What have done resently is to add some molybond (Molybdenum Disulphide) to both the engine and trans oils and what a difference that made to the running of the bike...  :) Before adding the moly I spoke with a long time friend of mine who was a marine engineer in the Royal Australian Navy and later worked on heavy transport and farm machines what his thoughts were about Moly as an oil additive. He said that seeing the enfield has a bush rather then a roller bearing big-end it should be fine however do not use too much as it has been know to cause roller bearing to skid rather then roll.

I used the following dosages: 30ml Engine, 15 ml transmission. The engine spins up beautifuuly and the trans changes really well. DO NOT USE IT IN THE PRIMARY DRIVE!!!

Roger