Author Topic: Replacing Warning Lights  (Read 3465 times)

young gun

• Bulleteer
on: January 04, 2014, 08:54:18 pm
Hi all,

I'm replacing my warning lights on my bike with these guys (see attachment) that I purchased from hitchcocks. I'm still pretty new to riding a bike and although I'm getting better I do forget to cancel the indicators from time to time. I'm hoping that by replacing the light it may make the indicator warning light actually usable, my current one I can't see during the day. If this doesn't help then I'll look at installing a buzzer.

Has anybody installed this style of light before? On the site it mentions drilling the casquette? I'm hoping to just replace the actual warning lights in the speedometer. How easy is it to get to the speedo? I've searched the net with no results and the Snidal manual only has a very brief mention of the casquette itself.

I'll tackle this tomorrow morning but I always believe it's best to ask for advice before taking on a job I know nothing about :)

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #1 on: January 04, 2014, 10:56:23 pm
I get into my casquette by loosening the screw at the top of the headlight.  That allows the entire headlight to be tipped out and lowered.

The bulbs are held into the bottom of the speedometer by being pushed into rubber sleeves.  It is rather easy to pull them out but if you do this, pull them using the metal lamp holder, do not pull on the wires.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

young gun

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: January 05, 2014, 09:11:12 am
Thanks Arizoni,

Ok scratch that, these aren't the correct units and it's not going to be the simple task I hoped to "just" get to the speedo.

I'll need to see if I can get those LED replacement bulbs from Superbrightled.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 09:15:18 am by young gun »

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: January 05, 2014, 01:23:56 pm
If you have the original speedo. You'd have to take the speedo apart and drill out the face to make those fit.   ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
Reply #4 on: January 05, 2014, 02:35:04 pm
IF leaving the Turns on is the issue you could always go
to Radio Shack and buy Peizo buzzer. I simply wired to
the flasher unit under the seat...
           - Mike
'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #5 on: January 05, 2014, 11:08:53 pm
Thanks Arizoni,

Ok scratch that, these aren't the correct units and it's not going to be the simple task I hoped to "just" get to the speedo.

I'll need to see if I can get those LED replacement bulbs from Superbrightled.

I was gonna say when I first saw your pictures on Friday that I didn't think those were going to fit into the bulb tubes in the instruments, but I didn't want to stick my neck out & make you feel bad.
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

walken4life

• Bulleteer
  • 2002 Bullet Deluxe
Reply #6 on: January 06, 2014, 03:13:01 pm
A couple posts down in this thread has the superbrightled part numbers for all the bulbs in the Enfield:

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,3881.0.html

Grommit lists a green LED for the turn signal indicator for some reason (maybe personal preference).  I stuck with the amber.  I only replaced the indicator lights as well as the pilot at the time.  Though the ammeter and speedo bulbs would certainly be worthwhile to replace while you are in there.  I did those later on, and wished I had just ordered them all at once.

Very happy with the modification.  SuperbrightLEDs has fast and very reasonable shipping.  I would buy from them again.  As for the Hitchcocks lights, just hang on to them.  You may find another use for them, and it would not be worth paying the return shipping.  We all have odd bits around the workshop from ordering something that didn't work out for us.  At least they won't take much space in a drawer!

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #7 on: January 06, 2014, 10:45:13 pm
I like the idea of the buzzer, if it's not too annoying.
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
Reply #8 on: January 07, 2014, 01:18:00 am
nope....    and piss simple. 2 wires on buzzer to 2
wires on flasher. If it doesn't buzz; reverse wires.
Then silicone or tape to flasher...
'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: January 07, 2014, 04:29:39 am
I bought a Radio Shack buzzer to add to my turn signal.
The box (less the attachment flanges) is  about 9/16" (14.2mm) X 1 inch wide by 7/8 (22.2mm) long X 9-16" (14.2mm) tall with a red and black wire attached.

It beeps but it is more suitable for a computer warning beeper than something that is on my bike.

Just the sound of the valves would drowned its feeble beep out.  The sound of my exhaust makes it totally useless.  I figure if I cant hear it, it's useless. :(
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe

young gun

• Bulleteer
Reply #10 on: January 10, 2014, 07:02:52 pm
Thanks for all the replies :)

I'm based in South Africa so shipping is always a PITA but we do what we need to do. I'm pretty sure I have a piezo lying around that I can just connect, I'll see if I can find it and give some feedback.

It needs to be done. At least 1 ride I forget the lights on and it only takes 1 accident. So it's a matter of urgency.

young gun

• Bulleteer
Reply #11 on: March 02, 2014, 04:30:06 pm
So I managed to find the correct LEDs in an auto detailing shop today. While I was at it I decided to replace the stock halogen for a superb right unit. Everything installed fine (Suprisingly?!) however the indicator warning LED only works when the left indicator is working. It appears that the Enfield reverses the polarity of the power when the right indicator is switched in which would explain why the LED does not work when it's switch on. Is there a way around this?

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: March 03, 2014, 04:32:00 am
I'm guessing the older RE's use a circuit similar to the one on the UCE's.

If true, yes, the current thru the indicator light is reversed when the opposite turn indicators are activated.
It needs to have a indicator LED in the speedometer that works for alternating current to work properly.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe

young gun

• Bulleteer
Reply #13 on: March 03, 2014, 09:52:03 am
Do you even get LEDs that work both ways? its kind of the opposite point of a diode :D

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: March 03, 2014, 01:43:04 pm
I switched over to LEDS last year. There's tons of information on them from this forum. Yes you can get LEDs that pass current both ways. Super bright LEDs is the website I ordered from.

http://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/ba9s-ba7s/ba9s-led-bulb-4-led/6/
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 01:55:26 pm by DanB »
Suppose I were an idiot, and suppose I were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. ... Mark Twain
2006 AVL Electra