Author Topic: leaky carby  (Read 6984 times)

Blck Pepper

• Scooter
on: January 03, 2014, 01:09:26 am
Hey folks I have a leaking carby out the overflow tube. I think I may be missing a ball bearing' is this likely? Does anyone know where I can get another? I'm in Australia.

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #1 on: January 03, 2014, 01:33:13 am
Try whacking the carb bowl with the handle of a screwdriver or hammer. Most likely your float valve is stuck. If you haven't had the carb apart for cleaning you will probably need to get in there and give it a thorough cleaning.
2003 Classic 500 5 spd
2009 HD FLHT Police 103 6 spd
1992 Kawasaki ZG 1200 Voyager XII

Blck Pepper

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: January 03, 2014, 02:13:25 am
Thanks I'll give it a go.I have recently cleaned the carby.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: January 03, 2014, 05:10:33 am
Sounds like you lost the float needle that goes in the carb inlet.  Should look something like this.

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

Blck Pepper

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: January 03, 2014, 07:14:51 am
Thanks Scottie I'll pull it apart again. Is it easy to find? Do you know were I can get one?

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: January 03, 2014, 04:30:18 pm
Thanks Scottie I'll pull it apart again. Is it easy to find? Do you know were I can get one?

It depends on what carb you have.  If it's a Mikuni you can buy it at any bike parts shop for a couple of bucks.  If it's an Amal carb you will need to buy it from a British bike parts supplier or Ebay.  I would just take the carb to the parts shop to make sure you get the right one.  If it's an Amal carb, I may have an extra one.

Scottie

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #6 on: January 03, 2014, 07:02:53 pm
Blck Pepper you probably aren't missing your float valve. What has probably happened is it got gunked up from sitting for so long and needs to be cleaned or replaced. Most likely you have a Mikcarb which is Royal Enfield's copy of the Mikuni VM 28. On a lot of carbs the needle is rubber tipped so the seat is part of the carb body and highly polished. On the Mikcarb the the needle is metal with a screw in seat. You will have to by a new seat and needle (#33 @ link) from a local RE dealer/parts distributor or order them online. Probably just buy a rebuild kit and the needle and seat will be i there too.

http://www.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/partsbooks/pages/760/Mikcarb+Carburettor
2003 Classic 500 5 spd

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #7 on: January 04, 2014, 04:13:16 am
Another possibility since the carb has recently been taken apart is the fiber washer (find no. 14 in the hitchcock link) is missing or it is cracked.
After a few years these fiber gaskets can become brittle.

If this is the case, a similar fiber washer that will work can be found at many motorcycle dealers.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #8 on: January 04, 2014, 05:02:08 am
Another possibility since the carb has recently been taken apart is the fiber washer (find no. 14 in the hitchcock link) is missing or it is cracked.
After a few years these fiber gaskets can become brittle.

If this is the case, a similar fiber washer that will work can be found at many motorcycle dealers.

That washer comes in the oem rebuild kit.
2003 Classic 500 5 spd

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #9 on: January 04, 2014, 05:43:34 am
I didn't see where BlckPepper said he used a rebuild kit.  He just said he had cleaned it.

I agree, if he buys a rebuild kit he will have the washer/gaskets, speaking of which, the one under the main jet can also crack and drive a person nuts while he trys to figure out why the bike is running rich. :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #10 on: January 04, 2014, 07:26:49 am
I didn't see where BlckPepper said he used a rebuild kit.  He just said he had cleaned it.

I agree, if he buys a rebuild kit he will have the washer/gaskets, speaking of which, the one under the main jet can also crack and drive a person nuts while he trys to figure out why the bike is running rich. :)

The washer under the main jet is brass. I can't imagine it cracking.
2003 Classic 500 5 spd

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: January 05, 2014, 02:40:00 pm
Blltrdr -  You know what happens when you assume things right?   ???  Just because the bike originally came with a Mikarb doesn't mean there is still one on there.  And why do you assume that it's missing or damaged gasket that would cause fuel to pour out of the overflow?

Hey folks I have a leaking carby out the overflow tube. I think I may be missing a ball bearing' is this likely? Does anyone know where I can get another? I'm in Australia.

He even said right in his quote that he believes he is missing a part.  Can you guess what part allows fuel into the bowl, shuts the fuel off when it's full and and spews fuel out the overflow when it's missing?   ???

Anyways, you need to find out what model carb you have and probably go spend $10 on a rebuild kit.

Scottie

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #12 on: January 05, 2014, 09:29:00 pm
 Scottie you are a very funny dude. But before you point fingers look in the mirror when you say assume (read your first post). As I see it, assumptions are what drive this forum. A good percentage of members are those that have little knowledge about their bikes and part of finding solutions for those new to their bikes is to make assumptions based on experience. I assume Mr. Pepper's bike has a Mikcarb until he says differently. Also who said anything about a gasket (I think you read someone else's post)? I'm only suggesting a rebuild kit because it comes with most everything you need for a rebuild and as you know having some extra carb parts is not a bad thing. I myself have many spares! You do realize members chime in hoping to give someone a hand with there problems. Until he actually tears the carb apart and takes an inventory of the internal parts all one can do is assume what carb it is, what is needing replacement or what is missing. It is and always will be a team effort helping others on the forum. I would ASSUME you could control all if the forum was called Scottie's Royal Enfield U.S. Forum.
Long live the King! clap...cheer...clap...NOT

« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 10:30:02 pm by Blltrdr »
2003 Classic 500 5 spd

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: January 05, 2014, 09:42:03 pm
Also the float may have sunk. As for the needle and seat, you can usually look at them and tell if they're worn out. As for finding it take the float bowl off and you'll see the float dangling there. The needle is what the float is attached to and moves up and down with the float into the body of the carb, seating against the seat.
To check the float for floatability, if it's brass, shake it and listen for gas sloshing around inside. If it kinda plasticish, some are hollow and you can shake them, but some are foam and you need to squeeze them lightly and see if gas squeezes out.
As for missing parts, that's pretty unlikely because the only parts that control fuel going into the tank are the float and needle. I can't think of any ball bearings in a carb! Do they make the fuel flow faster? Even with the gas on at the tank , the fuel shouldn't be running out without some problem with the needle and seat.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #14 on: January 05, 2014, 10:08:14 pm
Also the float may have sunk. As for the needle and seat, you can usually look at them and tell if they're worn out. As for finding it take the float bowl off and you'll see the float dangling there. The needle is what the float is attached to and moves up and down with the float into the body of the carb, seating against the seat.
To check the float for floatability, if it's brass, shake it and listen for gas sloshing around inside. If it kinda plasticish, some are hollow and you can shake them, but some are foam and you need to squeeze them lightly and see if gas squeezes out.
As for missing parts, that's pretty unlikely because the only parts that control fuel going into the tank are the float and needle. I can't think of any ball bearings in a carb! Do they make the fuel flow faster? Even with the gas on at the tank , the fuel shouldn't be running out without some problem with the needle and seat.
Bare

Bare, great assumption. There are a few things that can cause a carb to overflow and a leaky float is one of them. For a bike to sit for a long time the likelihood of problems with the float needle and seat is very high. Deposits of rust particles, old lacquered gas and corrosion will definitely keep a needle from seating properly. A hole in the float is less likely but a check is part of the basic troubleshooting. A thorough go over of the fuel system is a must. If the bike was stored all those years without a full tank it most likely has rust deposits. If so Br. Pepper will need to take the tank off and clean it. The petcock will also need to be checked and cleaned. A inline fuel filter is a must once everything is cleaned and put back together. Once Br. pepper disassembles the carb he should also take note of the jet sizes and post them here for evaluation. Plenty of info to set up the carb properly for his altitude and climate.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 10:12:59 pm by Blltrdr »
2003 Classic 500 5 spd