Author Topic: do you tell the truth when asked "what year is that "?  (Read 9603 times)

Barnone

• Scooter
Reply #30 on: April 09, 2014, 03:21:35 pm
I get the same question on all of my three bikes. On the Ural forum we call it the UDF (Ural Delay factor). I guess it should be called the REDF here.
I find it easier and more pleasing to the inquirer if I just smile and agree with their guestion especially at a  stop light. I'll add a RE one of these days.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 03:24:34 pm by Barnone »
Vince
2021 Ural CT sidecar
2020 Ice Bear 150 cc scooter
2021 Ice Bear 150 cc scooter
Fort Myers,FL or Robbinsville,NC

mustangdave

• Grease Monkey
  • ACES UP
Reply #31 on: April 09, 2014, 09:09:27 pm
When folks see my RE they almost always ask what year it is...I ask them what yr they think it might be...then when they guess wrong I tell em what year it is.
I rode Japanese bikes as a kid...then I grew up and got some British Thunder

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #32 on: April 10, 2014, 01:36:38 am
 "Did you do the restoration yourself ?" 
That one always makes me smile.

No matter where you go, there, you are.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #33 on: April 12, 2014, 03:14:06 am
Yes, I tend to be more truthful when not sitting at a light :)

pushrod

• Grease Monkey
Reply #34 on: June 05, 2014, 11:31:15 am
 I tell em the truth, It's a 2000 Enfield. Their usually surprised and some of them get embarrassed and a little annoyed that they mistook it for a much older bike. I have a 1994 Ural that looks much older than it really is, drum brakes, kick only. Back in 1996 I had it parked outside this little bar in Montana and was getting ready to leave when some guys pulled up on some modern bikes and one asked what year it was, I said a 94. The guy thought I was making fun of him and quickly went inside. I think that is what happens a lot when someone guesses it's an old bike and finds out it's not, they feel foolish. But I always tell em the correct year.
Pushrod
Yeah, times have changed, me, not so much

2000 RE Bullet
1994 Ural tourist
1959 Harley FL

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #35 on: June 05, 2014, 12:32:38 pm
I tell em the truth, It's a 2000 Enfield. Their usually surprised and some of them get embarrassed and a little annoyed that they mistook it for a much older bike. I have a 1994 Ural that looks much older than it really is, drum brakes, kick only. Back in 1996 I had it parked outside this little bar in Montana and was getting ready to leave when some guys pulled up on some modern bikes and one asked what year it was, I said a 94. The guy thought I was making fun of him and quickly went inside. I think that is what happens a lot when someone guesses it's an old bike and finds out it's not, they feel foolish. But I always tell em the correct year.

It's also a lot of posers that have a lot of money.  You know, these clowns that go out and buy a brand new bike and $1000 worth of leather, and suddenly they are a bike expert.  The same morons who think there are only 6 bike manufacturers in the entire world and if your bike doesn't fall under one of the 6 companies then your bike must be a Chinese "knock off".  I always get a kick when someone in a $80 Harley T-shirt sees my bike and says  "Oh wow!  Indian!  What year is it?"  "58"  "Cool!  You don't see those everyday".  "You sure don't".  Then they start telling me how their neighbor's uncle's brother had a 1936 Indian, not even realizing that they aren't even close to being the same bike.  I used to get excited and tell the whole story about Brockhouse corp and yadda yadda.  Now I'm so bored with talking to posers I only bring up the history if someone is intelligent enough to acknowledge the distinctive British design.  I mean, it's not my fault if they assume it was made in Springfield.   ;D   I've had the bike on the road for a little over a year and I've only had 3 different people know that it was an Enfield/Indian without me saying anything.   :)

Scottie J
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

AY Six

• Scooter
Reply #36 on: June 07, 2014, 01:52:24 am
Everyone who see's my 2010 thinks it's legitimately from the 40's. I really want to say "yeah it's original" but I don't like lying so I tell them it's a '10 and they never believe it.

"really? how can that be?" is often what come's out of their mouths.

It makes me proud however, I really like the fact that a 1940's design can be used in the 21rst century.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #37 on: June 07, 2014, 04:30:52 am
~ I really want to say "yeah it's original" but I don't like lying so I tell them it's a '10 and they never believe it.

"really? how can that be?" is often what come's out of their mouths. ~

Try either " I got lucky"
 or
 "can you keep a secret?" ( they always say yah)   to which I reply  " so can I ;)

;D
« Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 05:05:37 am by Ice »
No matter where you go, there, you are.