Author Topic: do you tell the truth when asked "what year is that "?  (Read 9629 times)

guss,guss

• Grease Monkey
  • picture is not actual bulleteer
on: January 01, 2014, 02:35:56 pm
hello all.
 i saw a post on my local CL that said "55 royal enfield". when i opened it the guy explained that its not actually a 55, but you could tell people it is and they probably wouldn't know the difference. I'm sure the general public wouldn't. it was i think an 04 military. he went on to say even though it had ES he used the kicker for effect. now I'm sure I'm not the only one who has seen that blank look on the faces of people when i tell them mine is a 99. some tilt there head like a dog trying to figure something out. but in the end they seem disappointed. like i just told them tinkerbell is dead. when at first some are excited to see an old classic, which i still think of mine to be with a few upgraded switches and electrical things.then if they persist how could that be and i go into the story of the plant in india sheltered from advanced technology they either go into glazed look or don't give a crap look and say "and here i thought you had a classic" but i don't like to fib. I'm thinking of telling a half truth like "it's a 1955 design with a few upgrades"
 so does anyone else have this happen and do you fib to avoid all the ensuing questions and let them walk away happy?
Kill em all, let God sort em out. 
 Have a nice day.

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
Reply #1 on: January 01, 2014, 04:39:41 pm
I used to tell people that it was a 1955 model but a 2003 year.
 Been making the same motorcycle for over 50 years....
 It's the motorcycle they forgot to quit making....
most people don't know the difference so why confuse them??
'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill

mplayle

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: January 01, 2014, 05:28:56 pm
I've told people asking that mine is "a 2012 edition of a 1955 motorcycle".

I follow up with a statement similar to baird's: "They are still making them this way, have been since 1955."

rvcycleguy

• Grease Monkey
Reply #3 on: January 01, 2014, 05:48:58 pm
When I ride up to a stop, I get a lot of questions.  What is that and what year is it?  When I say 56, they don't believe it...  I'm not lying.
1956 Bullet 500 (G2) Custom tank, Silencer Muffler, Powder Coated Chassis
2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50 (800cc) Touring set-up. white walls, pearl white w/ ghost flames

single

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: January 01, 2014, 05:54:14 pm
I answer the same tiring old questions truthfully,try to get it over with as soon as possible without being rude.Honestly,I do not really mind.
I do wish folks would just look at the bike as the manufacturers' name is plastered all over it.Nevertheless I am continually asked if it is a BSA or a Triumph.I sure as hell wish it were,tho' I do not say so.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: January 01, 2014, 06:27:09 pm
People asked me such questions,but seem to get the that, "Who makes it, Triumph?" Or "Is it a Triumph?" I guess a lot of that is because I was wearing a Triumph jacket. But it always got to me when they'd pull up beside me where they could clearly see it said Royal Enfield. The ask if it was a Triumph. I'd tell them it was a Royal Enfield and they just say, "I never heard of those." I said, "You have now!"
Actually have the same year problem with the Guzzi.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

neil

• Bulleteer
  • Neil & Buzzy the Bullet
Reply #6 on: January 02, 2014, 12:08:56 am
I answer the question with the fact that it is a genuine old school classic. They automatically think it was made in England a long time ago. I get very few date specific questions after that. I've removed everything E/S in favor of weight reduction, so when I kick start it on the first try they are convinced. The only other comment I ever get is "boy you don't see many like that any more." I like it and quite a few Harley owners have said they would like to get a single for riding on dirt and off roads. I ride in the dirt quite a bit and found the more weight you get off the bike the better it is for dirt riding.

Neil and Buzzy the Bullet.

greekxj

• Grease Monkey
Reply #7 on: January 02, 2014, 09:47:36 pm
I lie lol. Well it varies, if im on the road at a light i just lie cuz its too much of a story to tell and the annoying part is some people dont care about traffic behind and the light changing etc so i just keep it short. If im getting gas or at a bike or car show, or basically any public place ill explain the whole story. And yes 55 is my lie of choice  :) I have an 07 iron barrel so it def looks the part

mrunderhill1975a

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: January 03, 2014, 12:53:17 am
I say it is a 1955 model put together in 1999.  They then have a glazed over look in their eyes and I move on to describe the neutral finder.

R1200RTMyP51

• Scooter
Reply #9 on: January 03, 2014, 12:58:56 am
I usually tell folks it's a 1945 P-51D model with the bubble-top canopy & a Rolls Royce Merlin engine.
NEVER let the truth get in the way of a good story, boys.

Seriously, though, I say 1955 RE when pressed for time, and give the whole story for family & friends.

-SCS

04 Bullet Military
06 R1200RT

C.C.

• Scooter
  • 1960 Bullet
Reply #10 on: January 04, 2014, 12:38:43 pm
I tell them it's a 1960. They always believe it. It says Sixty 5 on the side. 1960 with a 5 speed.

CC
2006 Bullet Sixty 5
Member: Royal Enfield Association #11

Tiny Tim

• Bulleteer
Reply #11 on: January 04, 2014, 04:52:25 pm
I pulled up at a set of lights on my 2005 AVL Electra. A guy on a Honsukaki plastic rocket screamed to a halt next to me. The visor went up and he yelled, "What year?"
Now I know he meant the bike and not me but.... well...., he didn't make it too clear. So I replied " '53 "
"Sweet" and with that he was gone.
REgards

Tiny Tim

"Whilst it isn't possible to polish a turd, you can always roll it in glitter"

2005 Electra AVL

Chuck D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: January 04, 2014, 05:05:44 pm
I pulled up at a set of lights on my 2005 AVL Electra. A guy on a Honsukaki plastic rocket screamed to a halt next to me. The visor went up and he yelled, "What year?"
Now I know he meant the bike and not me but.... well...., he didn't make it too clear. So I replied " '53 "
"Sweet" and with that he was gone.
Why is it still considered accepted practice around here to belittle Japanese machinery by conflating the names of their major manufacturers to dubiously humorous affect?
Simple question.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 05:19:18 pm by Chuck D »
Ace "Fireball"#10 (Beefy the Bullet to her friends.)
 "Featherbed" frame by Rofomoto.

2017 Triumph T120

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: January 04, 2014, 05:29:55 pm
Why is it still considered accepted practice around here to belittle Japanese machinery by conflating the names of their major manufacturers to dubiously humorous affect?
Simple question.

I'm not sure why.  I guess it probably has something to do with the fact that all mimic each others designs and you can't tell them apart until you see the stickers on the fairings and gas tank.
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

single

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: January 04, 2014, 05:47:47 pm
I do not believe there is any real malice involved with these jibes directed at certain bikes.
I own several Japanese bikes and I often refer to them in unflattering terms.But ,I like them,for sure.

young gun

• Bulleteer
Reply #15 on: January 04, 2014, 08:59:33 pm
Well it depends on what they ask :)

What year is it? A 1960

How old is it? 7 years

That's not really being untruthful I don't think :)

Chuck D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: January 05, 2014, 12:17:47 am
I'm not sure why.  I guess it probably has something to do with the fact that all mimic each others designs and you can't tell them apart until you see the stickers on the fairings and gas tank.
Do you mean to say that diehard kawi fan would mistake a CB for a Kz? or vice versa in the case of a Honda guy? Not likely. It may be only subtleties that set them apart but it's exactly those hair splitting differences that moto fans of any stripe live for. The differences that only the "initiated" could appreciate.
This all swings back to the original theme of this thread.
Namely, why should Joe Schmo leaning out of his car window at a light know an Enfield from a Harley from Triumph or what year it was made. To this guy a Commando would be indistinguishable from a Bonnie thirty seconds after they were no longer in front of his face. In the same vein, you can't fake the vintage of our bikes to anyone "in the know" because there are to many visual giveaways even on one with all of the fake "vintage" parts that we hang off of them. And forget the UCE bikes. A bike guy would spot them for what they are in one second from fifty feet away.
Ace "Fireball"#10 (Beefy the Bullet to her friends.)
 "Featherbed" frame by Rofomoto.

2017 Triumph T120

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: January 05, 2014, 12:55:02 am
Do you mean to say that diehard kawi fan would mistake a CB for a Kz? or vice versa in the case of a Honda guy? Not likely. It may be only subtleties that set them apart but it's exactly those hair splitting differences that moto fans of any stripe live for.

Well, der.  That wasn't my point.  I myself can tell virtually any kind of bike apart.  And of course, no matter WHAT you ride, or even drive for that matter, you will be able to pick out others just like yours from a 100 yards away.  The average Joe Schmo who only has an interest in bikes only really sees 4 different kinds of bikes: Crotch Rockets, Harleys, Japanese Bikes and MAYBE British Bikes.  The uneducated tend to be the ones who make those kind of remarks.

Die Hard Rocket Boy - "Screw Harley"
Die Hard Harley Guy - "Screw Crotch Rockets"
Both opinions based upon absolutely no education of the other bike.

Scottie

single

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: January 05, 2014, 06:41:30 pm
A friend of mine,big time Harley guy,Rides his Harley around another friends' Victory whenever the Victory is parked with enough room for the Harley to accomplish this.He calls this his" Victory lap".

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: January 05, 2014, 09:00:23 pm
that's probably the only time the Hardley an catch the Victory! Kinda like shooting Me 262s and 163s. The only time you could catch them is when they were landing!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

dewjantim

• Grease Monkey
Reply #20 on: January 07, 2014, 04:18:18 pm
I always tell people the correct year (2000) then explain to them that it is almost exactly like the 1957 model only with upgraded electrics, a mikuni carb, and improved metal in the bearings. If they are interested I also say it was made using the same machines as the English used in the 50's. Funny thing, a couple of so-called experts wanted to argue with me......... As for other bikes.... I like my honkawsuzaha, Harley Ferguson (both the girls bikes and garbage wagons) , kraut bikes, spaghetti rockets, and limeys regardless of what they are called !!! I even like the JAP engined Broughs.
If it hurts, you're not dead yet!!!!!

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: January 07, 2014, 04:50:27 pm
'm not sure why.  I guess it probably has something to do with the fact that all mimic each others designs and you can't tell them apart until you see the stickers on the fairings and gas tank.

+1 I owned several Superbikes and still couldn't tell the the difference in the competition, unless they were green! They still pretty much look all the same to me. Can't say I've seen anything I've confused with an Enfield!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #22 on: January 08, 2014, 12:56:58 am
And forget the UCE bikes. A bike guy would spot them for what they are in one second from fifty feet away.

Not really.  I've had a few guys know machinery and bikes (but not REs) ask me what year and I tell them to guess.  Then I ask them if they know what year they discontinued the kickstarter, I've got a 2010 C5 with no kicker.  Quizzical look at the bike.  What year did they add the disc brake.  More looking at the bike.  Then I tell them to take a look at the carb.  More quizzical looks, usually followed by an 'Ah-ha!' look.  A throttle body doesn't have a float bowl and has too many wires and not enough hoses going into it to be mistaken for a carb.

You'd think most gear heads would notice all the damn wires everywhere, disc brake, O2 sensor, modern hand controls, no kicker, etc., but I haven't met anyone yet who did.  We see what we want to see. 

When pressed for time I just say 2010.  When I get the weird look I add, "They just never stopped making them."

Scott

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #23 on: January 08, 2014, 02:01:54 am
Ever hear that old saying "Women dress for other women"? I believe that same adage applies to the bike world. As was said above, most of the population just sees a red, or black, cruiser or rocket. All the details are for "the right" people to recognize." Motor heads modify for other motor heads". Who else notices, or even cares?
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

gmmechanic

• Scooter
Reply #24 on: January 09, 2014, 02:20:37 am
last summer i pulled up next to a chrome g5...i looked and asked the year...he said 2011...i almost s..t ...i knew of re,s in past but had no idea they were still made...because of that chance meeting i am now a proud owner of a 2014 c5 military and am bombarded with the same questions...love that but more i love the bike...i am 62 and i feel comfortable on the c5 more than my superglide or honda 185...rock on re
2014 c5 military

Spitting Bull

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: January 09, 2014, 11:19:02 pm
Here in the UK, our Registration numbers contain an age identifier. I was always being asked "how come your bike has a 2004 registration number?  Surely, it's older than that." And I had to explain time after time. It was the 2004 registration number that was causing the confusion.

It's possible to transfer registration numbers from one vehicle to another or even to sell a registration number, so I bought an inexpensive number from Northern Ireland (part of the UK but their registration numbers are dateless) and now people see the bike, assume it's older than it is, walk round to look at the number plate, assume they were right, and usually leave me alone!  Only the really curious ones ask about it now and I take great delight in telling them that the bike was built in 2004.

Tom
« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 11:22:33 pm by Spitting Bull »
One cylinder is enough for anyone.

rufusp81

• Scooter
Reply #26 on: March 19, 2014, 05:32:49 am
I tell them the truth and explain the history behind the bike. If you own one of these you should always expect to get asked question. If you don't like getting asked leave it in the garage or sell it

guss,guss

• Grease Monkey
  • picture is not actual bulleteer
Reply #27 on: March 19, 2014, 09:49:44 pm
is there a full moon?
Kill em all, let God sort em out. 
 Have a nice day.

bullethead63

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Run what ya brung..." Paul Saint Clair
Reply #28 on: March 26, 2014, 12:36:29 pm
It's the 1955 model...which is true,with some modern upgrades...which is also true...that satisfies 99% of the questions...sometimes,real motorcycle guys ask "Is that an old English one,or one of the newer,Indian-made ones?...they get the full story...
1959 Royal Enfield/Indian Chief 700~(RED)~1999 Bullet Deluxe 500 KS~(BLUE)~2000  Bullet Classic 500 KS~(WHITE)~2002 Bullet Classic 500 ES~(GREEN)~1973 Triumph Tiger 750~(BLUE & WHITE)~Ride-Wrench-Repeat~your results may vary~void where prohibited by law~batteries not included~some assembly required~

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Ride In Paradise Cabo, Don and Ernie
Reply #29 on: April 09, 2014, 03:05:25 am
"it's a 1955 model with some updates,,,it'll never win shows because it's built for riding instead".
No matter where you go, there, you are.

Barnone

• Scooter
Reply #30 on: April 09, 2014, 03:21:35 pm
I get the same question on all of my three bikes. On the Ural forum we call it the UDF (Ural Delay factor). I guess it should be called the REDF here.
I find it easier and more pleasing to the inquirer if I just smile and agree with their guestion especially at a  stop light. I'll add a RE one of these days.

« Last Edit: April 09, 2014, 03:24:34 pm by Barnone »
Vince
2021 Ural CT sidecar
2020 Ice Bear 150 cc scooter
2021 Ice Bear 150 cc scooter
Fort Myers,FL or Robbinsville,NC

mustangdave

• Grease Monkey
  • ACES UP
Reply #31 on: April 09, 2014, 09:09:27 pm
When folks see my RE they almost always ask what year it is...I ask them what yr they think it might be...then when they guess wrong I tell em what year it is.
I rode Japanese bikes as a kid...then I grew up and got some British Thunder

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #32 on: April 10, 2014, 01:36:38 am
 "Did you do the restoration yourself ?" 
That one always makes me smile.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #33 on: April 12, 2014, 03:14:06 am
Yes, I tend to be more truthful when not sitting at a light :)

pushrod

• Grease Monkey
Reply #34 on: June 05, 2014, 11:31:15 am
 I tell em the truth, It's a 2000 Enfield. Their usually surprised and some of them get embarrassed and a little annoyed that they mistook it for a much older bike. I have a 1994 Ural that looks much older than it really is, drum brakes, kick only. Back in 1996 I had it parked outside this little bar in Montana and was getting ready to leave when some guys pulled up on some modern bikes and one asked what year it was, I said a 94. The guy thought I was making fun of him and quickly went inside. I think that is what happens a lot when someone guesses it's an old bike and finds out it's not, they feel foolish. But I always tell em the correct year.
Pushrod
Yeah, times have changed, me, not so much

2000 RE Bullet
1994 Ural tourist
1959 Harley FL

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #35 on: June 05, 2014, 12:32:38 pm
I tell em the truth, It's a 2000 Enfield. Their usually surprised and some of them get embarrassed and a little annoyed that they mistook it for a much older bike. I have a 1994 Ural that looks much older than it really is, drum brakes, kick only. Back in 1996 I had it parked outside this little bar in Montana and was getting ready to leave when some guys pulled up on some modern bikes and one asked what year it was, I said a 94. The guy thought I was making fun of him and quickly went inside. I think that is what happens a lot when someone guesses it's an old bike and finds out it's not, they feel foolish. But I always tell em the correct year.

It's also a lot of posers that have a lot of money.  You know, these clowns that go out and buy a brand new bike and $1000 worth of leather, and suddenly they are a bike expert.  The same morons who think there are only 6 bike manufacturers in the entire world and if your bike doesn't fall under one of the 6 companies then your bike must be a Chinese "knock off".  I always get a kick when someone in a $80 Harley T-shirt sees my bike and says  "Oh wow!  Indian!  What year is it?"  "58"  "Cool!  You don't see those everyday".  "You sure don't".  Then they start telling me how their neighbor's uncle's brother had a 1936 Indian, not even realizing that they aren't even close to being the same bike.  I used to get excited and tell the whole story about Brockhouse corp and yadda yadda.  Now I'm so bored with talking to posers I only bring up the history if someone is intelligent enough to acknowledge the distinctive British design.  I mean, it's not my fault if they assume it was made in Springfield.   ;D   I've had the bike on the road for a little over a year and I've only had 3 different people know that it was an Enfield/Indian without me saying anything.   :)

Scottie J

AY Six

• Scooter
Reply #36 on: June 07, 2014, 01:52:24 am
Everyone who see's my 2010 thinks it's legitimately from the 40's. I really want to say "yeah it's original" but I don't like lying so I tell them it's a '10 and they never believe it.

"really? how can that be?" is often what come's out of their mouths.

It makes me proud however, I really like the fact that a 1940's design can be used in the 21rst century.

Ice

• Hypercafienated
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #37 on: June 07, 2014, 04:30:52 am
~ I really want to say "yeah it's original" but I don't like lying so I tell them it's a '10 and they never believe it.

"really? how can that be?" is often what come's out of their mouths. ~

Try either " I got lucky"
 or
 "can you keep a secret?" ( they always say yah)   to which I reply  " so can I ;)

;D
« Last Edit: June 07, 2014, 05:05:37 am by Ice »