Author Topic: A Short History of The Isle Of Man TT  (Read 6354 times)

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
on: December 29, 2013, 01:46:34 pm
Came across this story this morning.  It's not terribly long and gives a nice perspective of the races history.

http://jalopnik.com/5931270/why-the-worlds-deadliest-race-could-never-happen-again

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: December 30, 2013, 12:35:45 am
Really gets some a'holes into a lather doesn't it? The IOM is one of the greatest races ever and fortunately has been going on forever. Jackasses like that, even though he tried to redeem himself at the end, we don't need him publicizing it! It gets even weirder people who knew nothing about it getting into a liberal fizz!
You can't have too much fun without the jackasses coming out of the walls!
I still like to watch "Death Race 2000"
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #2 on: December 30, 2013, 12:46:17 am
I hear you on that Bare. I have always said if motorcycles were just invented, they would never be allowed on the road.
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
Reply #3 on: December 30, 2013, 03:57:06 pm
I love when the MotoGP and Superbike guys show up for the week of the races and they all say the same thing: They'd never race the Isle.  Way too dangerous.  These guys get paid bajillions of dollars and fly around the world like superstars and they wouldn't even attempt to race the island.  Most of these IOM racers look like they trailored their bikes to the track themselves.  They aren't there for a million dollar pay day or the fame.  Just the glory.  They seem like regular guys blokes who just love motorcycle racing.  And when they are done, they go to the pub.

2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: December 30, 2013, 08:21:14 pm
You have to live there to even be competitive, what is it, 39 miles? How can you memorize that very dangerous track? So it's limited to the guy's(no pun intended) who frequent that road. An analogy would be Sabine Schmitz at the Nuhrburgh ring. As an aside, those Blokes do race in track series, John McGuiness being one of them, and don't even place in the top ten.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2013, 08:25:01 pm by cyrusb »
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

Desi Bike

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: January 01, 2014, 04:29:08 am
My ex's parents lived in Ramsey for many years. They would plan to visit us in Canada over the month surrounding the TT. Many locals would also leave the island as it was just to dangerous to drive anywhere during the lead up to the races. There would be would be racerboys dropping a knee on every corner to fluff up their ego.  Lots of accidents and road deaths occur during the lead up that are not included in the 'statistics' because they are not in the race, Mad Sunday or any sanctioned practices.
Problems arise when riders from other countries come out of a corner and instinctly had over to the side of the road that they are accustomed to, only to find a truck or car in that lane coming at them.
« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 04:41:35 am by Desi Bike »
میں نہیں چاہتا کہ ایک اچار
میں صرف اپنی موٹر سائیکل پر سوار کرنا چاہتے ہیں

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: January 02, 2014, 01:28:16 am
  The TT is the grandaddy for sure, but there are many other real ROAD racing events... The Skerries,  The Ulster GP, The Northwest 200, Tandragee100, Kilalane, etc.... etc... They are alive and well over there.   About the dangers roadracing, I think Guy Martin Said something like.. "  Go mow your lawns and let us have at it".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BzWf-6UzQUA&list=PLOJpnyYvE2pTOJtWpr7P3FBJhR9gLSpmf

http://www.realroadracing.com/
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

mplayle

• Bulleteer
Reply #7 on: January 02, 2014, 03:42:23 am
ghg,

Those TT videos you linked are ADDICTIVE!  I just spent an hour letting them go from one to the next.

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: January 02, 2014, 02:12:56 pm
+1 on the addiction. Put them on a big screen and hang on! I never get tired of it.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #9 on: January 02, 2014, 03:40:53 pm
It's cool!

I'm going to get one of our engines  or heads into that Isle of Man race, somehow or other.
I'm hoping that Bullet Whisperer will do it with this new head we are doing for him.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: January 03, 2014, 12:46:53 am
ghg,

Those TT videos you linked are ADDICTIVE!  I just spent an hour letting them go from one to the next.

Carfull now.... easy to get stuck in those endless Tube loops. ;)   Here is one that has some years on it.  Mike Hailwoods comments at around 13 minutes, and then again at 25 minutes. I found interesting and insightful.....  Mister smooth for sure, The lines he would take on the curves!  Amazing...  And you don't see him trow his knee out like a modern rider would.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZJKZaTW5o8

And another on the Skerries. Martin Finnegan and Robert Dunlop, tragically both gone in May of 2008. Likely doing what they loved to do..... Dunlops son went on to win the TT as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_v-Zu0Xr2c

« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 01:25:59 am by gashousegorilla »

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: January 03, 2014, 11:07:12 pm
And you don't see him trow his knee out like a modern rider would.

Because the tires of the day wouldn't lean far enough to have any reason to! When tires improved enough, then the knees came out. this was to keep the bike more upright so the hard parts wouldn't scrape.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: January 03, 2014, 11:26:59 pm
  Could be that old habits died hard with him?  But actually what I meant was..... Here he is at the 1978 race at Mallory park on his Ducati.  Look at him ,  then look at the other riders in the curves..... Smooooooth, great lines, all lean and no knee.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LnNP7mw7XY
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 11:36:04 pm by gashousegorilla »

jwnwyoming

• Scooter
Reply #13 on: January 14, 2014, 04:04:00 am
The IOM is so on my bucket list.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #14 on: January 14, 2014, 05:09:29 am
Gotta love the sound of a big Ducati twin sweeping thru the course. :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary