Author Topic: A Short History of The Isle Of Man TT  (Read 6359 times)

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #15 on: February 18, 2014, 02:49:28 am
Did anyone see James May do the course?

Sorry if it's old, or trite, or simply irritating, but I've never heard of James May or his British TV "Toy" shows.  They built a full-size Meccano (Erector Set-like construction toy) sidecar motorcycle and "ran" it at the TT.  I found it very funny, and enjoyed the real motorcycle footage and scenery.

Keep in mind, they made almost everything from Meccano toy parts, including the wheel bearing races, so we're not talking about any record times, here...

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
Reply #16 on: February 18, 2014, 10:09:19 pm
That thing is awesome.

Have you never seen him on Top Gear?  If you don't know what Top Gear is then fire up your Netflix, or Youtubes, and free-up about a few years of TV viewing.  It's probably the best show on television.  (I put that last sentence in specifically to see if anyone gets upset  ;D)

*edit: I'm referring to the British show, "Top Gear," and not "Top Gear: America.  THAT, is probably the worst show on television.
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #17 on: February 18, 2014, 10:59:25 pm
Boggy-

I'm aware of the British "Top Gear" show, if for no other reason than I pay occasional attention to British news and some other TV shows from there, and I hear about it when Jeremy Clarkson opens his sorry mouth while his brain is busy doing other things.  But, I've never actually seen the program.  I've enjoyed the clips I've seen, and perhaps I'll skulk through Netfilx and check it out.  And in fact, I made an assumption based on the production of Meccano-bike video that it must have been connected somehow.  You'll notice I allowed for the possibility that there are people out there who might not appreciate the content or the host.  ;)

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: February 18, 2014, 11:31:56 pm
The more I look at that photo, the more I'm certain I'd rather be sitting ON the helmet while riding that "motorcycle."  Lots of sharp metal parts!  One bad bump and ... YeeeOUCH.
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: February 19, 2014, 06:47:30 pm
I used to watch "Top Gear" all the time, It was generally pretty enjoyable, but after a year or so it got a bit old and I seldom watch it any more. I would be very disinclined to give it the best show on television rating. But it's definitely in the top half.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: February 26, 2014, 04:06:00 am
Found this on another forum.  1973 TT with Nortons. Its a great ~50 minutes.

http://youtu.be/a-SOXVVdIZ4
Suppose I were an idiot, and suppose I were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. ... Mark Twain
2006 AVL Electra

Roy L.

• Scooter
Reply #21 on: February 27, 2014, 06:18:03 pm
My father raced in the Clubmans TT and also the Ulster.
What great stories he had of stripping down his Norton on the promenade and all the guys helping each other.
He would've been horrified that I bought an Enfield. He hated British bikes! Loved the Japs, would you believe.

PS. These read the letters thing to post is quite off-putting..

Roy L.

• Scooter
Reply #22 on: February 27, 2014, 06:42:04 pm
And here he is. Mr Isle of Man himself, Geoff Duke.
Perhaps the only man my father had anything good to say about:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vCX63gFbPUk

Edit; and Mike Hailwood.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 06:56:13 pm by Roy L. »

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: February 27, 2014, 07:23:08 pm
Those two videos are great and have some nice contrast.  In the 50's the racers are wearing suits and ties when they aren't riding.  In the 70's?  No shirt at all.  In both cases, the riders aren't littered with brightly colored sponsor clothing and energy drinks.  I like the cadence of both films.  The pacing is so much slower than modern media.  It's very relaxing to watch.

It is interesting to think of one road course being discussed and discussed year after year for so long.  The roads almost stay the same, but the machines change and so the learning never ends.

Very cool vids.
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #24 on: February 27, 2014, 08:44:57 pm
I used to watch "Top Gear" all the time, It was generally pretty enjoyable, but after a year or so it got a bit old and I seldom watch it any more. I would be very disinclined to give it the best show on television rating. But it's definitely in the top half.
Bare
I don't think it's billed as the best show on television(how could that be measured?). But is billed as the most watched, "In The World" as Clarkson would put it.  ;D
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: March 26, 2014, 05:29:00 pm
One on-board lap with last year's course-killer, Michael Dunlop.  Cool moments after 8 mins when he has to overtake.  The pace is blistering.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YWZG1nhgwgg

2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: March 26, 2014, 06:08:21 pm
I used to watch the TT every year when Joey Dunlop was racing there, In the good days of Speedvision, and they'd show all the races all week. When Fox bought and destroyed the best channel on TV for NASCRAP, all  that good coverage they formerly had, I didn't get to watch it any more, maybe a few scraps occasionally. Motor Racing, and pretty much all other racing has disappeared from TV! Sux!! I guess we were lucky to get the America's Cup last year!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #27 on: March 26, 2014, 06:29:20 pm
I never got Speedvision until it switched over to Fox Sports 1, which yeah, is a pretty awful channel.  Sports coverage has reached the weird, talking head craziness that is cable news.  Just weird humans acting weird.

However, they do air MotoGP, which until last year I could only read about.  I believe Isle of Man coverage has moved to the "Velocity Channel."  First MotoGP race was this Sunday and it was a crazy one.  The bummer about MotoGP is as soon as the race is over, they cut out.  No interviews, no post race, no nothing.
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: March 26, 2014, 08:59:02 pm
That was excellent..It just gets better and better...How many times did u think he might lose it?
Oh Magoo you done it again

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #29 on: March 27, 2014, 11:02:15 pm
that was Speedvision, the good one was just Speed. It was bought by Fox probably 10 years ago. They turned Speed into NASCRAPvision and dropped all the good racing they had on Speed.
One day was Formula 1 and they'd show races from the'50s and '60s, plus the current one live. Then they'd show a lot of off road and road racing stuff like Baja and desert races and even Truck racing, not pickups like Nascrap uses, Big truck cabs, as in semis, road racing! Htat was some wild racing in Europe 
One day was airplanes, in general and racing, Lots of good WWI and WWII footage, O
ne day was boats with all kinds of racing, both power and sail. Fuul coveralge of hte America' Cup, and some Great sailing stuff with some weird outriggered sailboats and some little hot rod boats racing through channels like Gymkhanas. These things were fast, V8 powered and had an occasion to hit the edge of the channels and flip.
It was some Motorcycle racing was usually Tuesday, with AMA and FAI Racing, All classes and series, with Trials, Scrambles, and Supercross. They had a week long  coverage from the Isle of Man, all classes and races. They ran a lot of live AMA races, which was usually not a good idea as AMA races invariably run long because of the plethora of red flags those guys use! They showed a lot of historic racing too. It was the good old days in motorcycle coverage along with the rest of the motorsports world
When Fox took over they slowly got rid of all of the good stuff and replaced with it horrible junk like Pinks, Truck crashes, lousy days of idiots crashing anything. And then hours spent on watching NASCRAP guys sitting around a table BSing, like some women's daily talk show.
Fox destroyed all the good stuff and frankly I don't care for the way they have done MotoGP the last few years with some American announcer breaking in at the commercial breaks and at the beginning and end of the show, telling us something that I'd rather hear from the guys who are actually there, or at least know what their talking about!! 
NBC Sports got the Formula One stuff and the motorcycle racing get kinda scattered all over the place, NBC Sports is getting NASCRAP from Fox next year So I guess Fox is getting out of motorsports which will be no loss! If they keep Varsha, things will be good again!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer