Author Topic: Does Anyone Have Celiac Disease?  (Read 13136 times)

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #75 on: June 26, 2014, 10:49:47 pm
It seems like being gluten free is kind of a fad here in the states as well.  In fact I think I mentioned it here earlier that I used get mad at the gluten free diet.  I thought it was nothing BUT a fad until I was diagnosed with Celiac disease and then I was saying to the doctor "Wait.  This is an actual medical condition?"

As far as that sponge cake recipe goes I would love to give it a try.  My wife loves to bake and has been wanting to learn more GF recipes for me.  :)

Scottie J
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #76 on: June 26, 2014, 11:11:35 pm
I think Carlsberg has it bass awackward.
People suffering from Celiac cannot eat stuff with gluten in it.
The gluten causes the small intestine to rebel and causes all sorts of problems.

His cake, where he substitutes normal flour for the gluten free flour would cause great mischief in your bowels. :( 

You could use his cake recipe as it was originally written for using gluten free flour though.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #77 on: June 26, 2014, 11:16:37 pm
I thought that's what he said he had done.   ???

Carlsberg Wordsworth

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #78 on: June 27, 2014, 01:07:28 pm
Sorry Scotty, not sure why I put HIO, I was thinking High 'In' Octane when I typed that.

Perhaps I should have said:

I just substituted the normal flour for gluten free self raising.

Anyhow,

I think the general idea is to use the same weight for the sugar, flour and butter as all 4 eggs weigh but it's not a requirement asfaik. Room temp helps a great deal.

225g unsalted butter, softened
225g caster sugar
4 large free-range eggs (chicken kindness?) at room temp
1/2 teaspoon Vanilla extract (I couldn't taste the difference personally when I'd run out)
225g self-raising flour. Sift it. Now I use a product here called Doves farm white self-raisng Gluten Free flour. I'm not sure what brands you have available to you.

1 tbsp milk, room temp. (I happen to use Lactose free here, as that's also an issue for the rest of them.)

Filling

Good load of jam, 6 tbsp say of raspberry, strawberry you choose.

Sprinkle some caster or icing sugar over the top for effect.

2 x 20.5cm round baking tins, greased and lined with baking paper. Makes it a lot easier to remove once baked.

1. Put the soft butter into a mixing bowl and stire with a wooden spoon or electric mixer until very smooth and creamy.

2. Gradually beat in the sugar and keep on beating until the mixture turns almost white and fluffy in texture. Break the eggs into a small bowl, add the vanilla and beat lightly with a fork to break them up a bit. Slowly add to the mixture a tablespoon or so at a time giving it a good beating each time. If it looks like it's going to curdle, add some sifted flour.

3. Once the eggs are all in, sift the flour again onto the mixture and add the milk. Gently fold the flour in using a metal spoon (whatever the difference makes I don't know). Do it lightly as possible so you don't knock all the air out. You can stop folding once all the flour has disappeared.

4. Spoon the mixture in an equal amount into the tins. Spread right into the edges and evenly.

5. Bake for 20-25 mins at 180c/350F in a preheated oven. Fan oven lower by 20c. I put a cocktail stick into it, if it pulls out clean, you know it's done. Should be a nice golden colour.

6. Remove from oven and let cool for a minute or so. Sponge should shrink a bit allowing easier removal.

7. Set one sponge upside down onto a wire rack and smother you preferred filling. Set the other sponge on top (the right way up) and dust with the caster/icing sugar.

8. Store in an airtight container, use within 5 days.

Don't forget, ingredients @ room temp.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #79 on: June 27, 2014, 01:25:28 pm
Thanks for the recipe!  Cheers!   :)

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #80 on: June 27, 2014, 01:27:40 pm
I think Carlsberg has it bass awackward.

"substituted normal flour for gluten free self raising" meant "substitute the normal four called for in the recipe with gluten-free self raising".  Never mind - when he finally supplied the recipe, it became self-evident what he meant.

And you're right, there is a fashion-factor to some of these diet restrictions, here in the USA, too.  I say that's a good thing - it can only help those whose well-being depends on awareness of their plight.  If GF is the latest health craze, then Scottie has more choices when he shops and eats out...

Unkel Dale

• Scooter
Reply #81 on: June 29, 2014, 09:41:24 pm
You have quit drinking beer forever. Find a wine you can drink 7 ounces daily, one.
Your food intake program is starting to change. If you can find a free county resource for nutrition requirement advice, do that.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #82 on: June 29, 2014, 10:41:42 pm
I have had some fine tasting beer that's gluten-free - or so the brewers claim...

lemming

• Grease Monkey
  • Weezin' the Ju-uice
Reply #83 on: June 30, 2014, 02:34:25 pm
My daughter cannot have gluten or dairy. This bread recipe is the first I have found that I would put up against any wheat-based bread. It's ridiculously good bread, never mind that it is GF. Also, it is stupid easy to make. If you don't have oat flour, put oats in a blender and push the button. Voila, oat flour. :-)

http://www.yammiesglutenfreedom.com/2012/11/gluten-free-honey-oat-bread.html

My wife makes outstanding pancakes that are also GF. Here are some of her favorite basic recipes:
http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/2011/08/karinas-gluten-free-pancakes.html

http://glutenfreeonashoestring.com/healthy-oatmeal-gluten-free-pancakes/

On the whole, we stay away from the mixes. We keep the following in our cupboard, and mix according to need. You just need to learn which starches do what and you can take it from there:

arrowroot powder
tapioca starch
brown rice flour
almond flour
sorghum flour
buckwheat flour (not actually wheat...it's an herb)
potato starch
oats
corn starch

Get them in bulk, as they are expensive in the small packages. Our local co-op has them in bulk at very reasonable prices.

My wife, who generally does not like to cook, but has taken to GF baking with gusto and is our household GF baked goods expert, says the following:

"It is really all about the starch to flour ratio. You can make anything as long as you have a 1/3 starch to 2/3 flour ratio.
Flours:
Bean flour- excellent binding properties, great for baking, good texture. The taste is strong, so I recommend using it in savory dishes. Some folks will use it in everything.

Brown rice flour- a staple, easy to find, but super dry, so always mix it with a moist flour like almond or oat.

Buckwheat- an excellent all around flour. binds better than most. Slightly bitter so use a tiny bit of sweetener in most recipes (honey is good for this).

Almond flour- Great flour, excellent texture. Use it with a starch and a more basic flour (like brown rice or sorghum).

Sorghum flour- Another great all purpose flour. Less dry than brown rice, but harder to find and more expensive.Nice texture and flavor.

Quinoa flour- good dense flour, nice in savory dishes. Some folks taste the quinoa taste more than others.

Coconut flour- Great all around flour if you are independently wealthy. :-)

Starches:
(always use at least a 1/3 to 2/3 ratio of starch to above flours)

Corn starch- great, easy to find, you will taste the corn flavor a little

Amaranth- also has a distinctive taste, slightly harder to find, works very well.

Potato starch (this is NOT the same as potato flour)- binds smoothly and nicely, slightly denser than the other starches

Tapioca starch- virtually tasteless, binds nicely, good general purpose starch."

« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 03:03:39 pm by lemming »
"I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant"

2011 B5 Black - "Tonks" - My first bike. Gone, but fondly remembered.
2010 Harley Iron 883 1200 conversion - work in progress
1998 Yamaha YZF600R - streetfighter Mad Max

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #84 on: June 30, 2014, 02:53:52 pm
Excellent!  Thanks Lemming!    :D

lemming

• Grease Monkey
  • Weezin' the Ju-uice
Reply #85 on: June 30, 2014, 03:01:23 pm
Check again, I just added a bunch more from her....
"I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant"

2011 B5 Black - "Tonks" - My first bike. Gone, but fondly remembered.
2010 Harley Iron 883 1200 conversion - work in progress
1998 Yamaha YZF600R - streetfighter Mad Max

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #86 on: January 23, 2015, 02:25:57 am
Well, after being gluten free for about 4 months and feeling better, my wallet just couldn't handle the grocery bill.  So, I've been cheating a lot and eating more gluten than I should, and have been feeling ok.  A few weeks ago, my decided decided to start eating vegetarian.  Mostly because she doesn't like how live stock is treated before butcher.  I being a smart ass told her that I wasn't even interested because I love meat too much.  Over the next couple of weeks I couldn't help but start thinking about how animals are treated, all the hormones and other crap they inject animals with, all the new health diseases that have developed, and how a lot of my friends are vegetarian or vegan.  Well, one day last week meat just didn't sound good to me anymore and i packed vegetables for lunch, and by the end of the day I decided I was going to be vegetarian, and any meat I eat will be meat I caught or killed myself.  I haven't had meat (or much gluten) for a week today and I feel really good.  Not as much energy as I used to have, but I feel good.  It helps that one of my co-workers recently turned vegetarian too, so he has been very supportive of this change.  Not trying to convert anyone, but something to consider.  :)

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #87 on: January 23, 2015, 04:04:56 am
Nothing wrong with being a vegetarian.

After all, vegetables are what food eats.   ;D  8)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary