Author Topic: Does Anyone Have Celiac Disease?  (Read 13169 times)

Mr.Mazza

• Grand Gearhead
  • Upside down thumping
Reply #60 on: January 07, 2014, 03:55:10 am
I've been gluten free since I started this thread (with the exception of one cookie that I regretted the next day) and already I feel 20 times better than I did 2 weeks ago.  Or even 2 years ago for that matter!  That's why I now need to get back into shape to get my COMPLETE health back on track.  I used to be an amateur kick boxer for 7 years and a pro mma fighter for 18 months.  I used to work out 2-3x a day 5-6x a week, 3000 calories a day and a rainbow of different vitamins.  I was 170 pounds of vicious muscle.  That all stopped when I took a manager position and started working 60 hours a week.  I no longer had time to work out, let alone fight, and that was the beginning of the demise of my health.  This was about 5 years ago.  Enough is enough.  I want my 8 pack back!

Scottie

I got that, I used to fire steam locomotives regularly and do lot's of other outdoorsy woodsmany manly stuff, then I had to get a crappy job working for McDonalds (Wages aint bad here, 15 an hour) and I went from being a 65KG (143 lbs) built fit young lad, to a 80KG (176 lbs) with a pot belly, no upperbody mass anymore and always tired with no energy. Amazing what a shitty job does to you!
On my way back to glorious fitness again, new job is Mechanic, so just moving around makes such a difference!
Lizzy - 07 500 Deluxe ES - Red and chrome - Sold.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #61 on: January 07, 2014, 05:17:43 am

On my way back to glorious fitness again, new job is Mechanic, so just moving around makes such a difference!

You'll burn plenty of calories, but believe me, you won't be building a whole lot of muscle.  It will feel like it for the first couple of months, but then muscle memory sets in.

2001 Harley Davidson Road King

Mr.Mazza

• Grand Gearhead
  • Upside down thumping
Reply #62 on: January 07, 2014, 05:25:28 am
You'll burn plenty of calories, but believe me, you won't be building a whole lot of muscle.  It will feel like it for the first couple of months, but then muscle memory sets in.

That's where my Locomotive workings set it ;)
Lizzy - 07 500 Deluxe ES - Red and chrome - Sold.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #63 on: March 23, 2014, 03:58:48 pm
Hey peeps!

What hell is the trick to cooking GF pancakes?  Mine either come out too thick and slightly gooey in the middle or come out too thin and just....  Weird.  LOL  What am I missing here?!

Scottie J

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #64 on: March 23, 2014, 04:50:35 pm
So much GF stuff now...You'll have to try different brands as their is a big difference in taste and texture....I always liked GF pancakes with Blueberries....I find u have to add some flavor in with some of the bake stuff to get your taste buds adjusted to the taste....I bet u eat alot of corn/potato based  products now..... :o
Oh Magoo you done it again

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #65 on: March 23, 2014, 05:05:00 pm
Scottie - we had them for breakfast this morning!

My wife uses Pamela's Baking and Pancake Mix, and basically follows the directions:
  • 1 cup Mix
  • 1 large egg
  • 3/4 cup water
  • 1 Tablespoon oil

She says she uses a very large egg, and she uses safflower oil.  She also adds blueberries - we pick all the small wild Maine berries we can in the summer and freeze them.  She just tosses a handful, frozen, into the mix.  She also says, don't let the batter sit and rest; once it's mixed up, use it.

The batter is pretty thin, and the pancakes come out thin and sort of delicate - they're not thick like Bisquick hocky-pucks.  We prefer them this way, but maybe our "fabulous thin and delicate" is your "too thin and just weird"!  I don't know; I'd eat myself sick on them if she let me!

I wonder what would happen with less water and a thicker batter...

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #66 on: March 23, 2014, 05:11:21 pm
I ran out of Pamela's mix and have been using Bloomfield's pancake mix and its actually too thick when mixed according to the directions.  Halfway through cooking I realized they were coming out weird because I forgot to add an egg this time.. ::)   What temp does your wife set the griddle?

Scottie J

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #67 on: March 23, 2014, 05:18:12 pm
Eggs'z good!

Stoves vary; ours is electric, with settings from 1-10.  She sets it at about 3-1/2, and gives the pan (a flat, heavy, non-stick crepe pan) plenty of time to warm up to that temp setting.  A little spray of oil (olive, I think!) for lubrication, and let 'er rip!

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #68 on: March 24, 2014, 02:47:25 pm
High on Octane: So let me this straight..Are you the only one in the family eating gluten free?  I'm only asking as it makes things alot easier if all the meals were prepared in this fashion....Cooking for one is PIA under any condition...Some people are real sticklers and use different pots, etc  to make sure that their isn't any chance of  Gluten contamination... Tell me how I know.... Good luck with it...
Oh Magoo you done it again

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #69 on: March 24, 2014, 03:32:26 pm
Yes I'm the only one with celiac, but we cook for the whole family.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #70 on: April 06, 2014, 11:50:27 pm
We just got home from a couple of days away, and were looking for an easy dinner: GF vegetable pancakes!

My wife sauteed up some of last year's garden kale (from the freezer), some of last year's cabbage (from the back of our fridge, if you can believe it), mushrooms and onions (any veggies will do, though).  Then she mixed up the standard Pamela's pancake recipe, folded the sauteed veggies in, and cooked them up in the usual fashion.  A little sour cream and salt - and washed down with a splash of Trader Joe's "two-buck" shiraz... delish!

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #71 on: April 07, 2014, 12:44:30 am
YUM!  That's sounds really good!  Gonna have to try that, thanks!

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #72 on: May 09, 2014, 12:26:11 am
Scottie - been thinking about you and your new "less than satisfactory" digs.  Here's something that is guaranteed to right all wrongs and cure all ills!  Absolutely unbelievably fabulous gluten-free banana bread!  If you like that sort of thing.  This is my wife's modification of the recipe on the back of Pamela's GF Pancake Mix.  Here's the recipe, with her changes and additions in bold face.  The coconut oil is the new favorite, healthy fat, and adds a nice flavor.  The chocolate is, well... chocolate!

Slightly Modified Pamela's GF Pancake Mix Banana Bread with Chocolate Chips

1/4 cup melted coconut oil (originally melted butter, or you could use vegetable oil)
2 large beaten eggs
1/4 cup pure maple syrup (originally 1/2 cup sugar or honey)
1tsp vanilla
3 over-ripe medium bananas, mashed (originally 1 cup bananas)
1-3/4 cups Pamela's Pancake mix
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup walnuts (optional)
a "generous" 1/2 cup chocolate chips (we use dark chocolate chips!)

Preheat oven to 350℉.  Beat together 1st four ingredients (through vanilla), mash in bananas, fold in Pamela's mix, salt, nuts, and chocolate chips.  Oil a loaf pan, (optional: also line the bottom with parchment paper), Pour mix into pan, bake 1 hour or until toothpick comes out clean.  Turn out and cool on a baking rack before slicing, if you can wait that long…

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #73 on: May 09, 2014, 05:09:15 pm
I love banana bread!  I'll have to try this soon.  Thank Matt!

Carlsberg Wordsworth

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #74 on: June 26, 2014, 10:38:34 pm
I've read the 1st and last page of this. Grandfather suffered from it back when it was relatively unknown. I'm the only one in my house that eats wheat related products. I have managed to whip up a pretty good Victoria Sponge cake if your interested. Not that much of a boast actually thinking about it, I just substituted normal flour for gluten free self raising.

Here in the UK, it almost appears fashionable these days to be gluten free, lactose free etc. Almost like it's some kind of new 'in' thing. Well, that's how it seems to me anyway.

Sounds like you've pretty much got accustomed to the new diet HIO.