Author Topic: Does Anyone Have Celiac Disease?  (Read 13159 times)

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #45 on: January 01, 2014, 08:54:23 pm
Gluten free bisquick is great especially as dumplings on top of Shaker stew...
Oh Magoo you done it again

scoTTy

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #46 on: January 01, 2014, 11:57:00 pm
i would move to Colorado  ;)

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #47 on: January 02, 2014, 01:04:48 am
i would move to Colorado  ;)

I already live here!   ;)   Actually, I've had my medical marijuana card long before they legalized it for recreational use.  It does wonders for my knees and nausea.   :)   Doesn't do much for my back these days tho unless I eat it.  I think I slipped a disc at some point.  I tell ya, I'm just falling apart.

And speaking of which......  You would not BELIEVE the lines outside of the dispensaries that started selling retail today!  All the way thru the parking lots!   :o  Luckily, as of now my dispensary will not be selling to retail clients, patients only.  I hope it stays that way.

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #48 on: January 03, 2014, 01:14:23 am
This sucks.  All I can think about is eating a big greasy bacon cheese burger, and I'm not ordering a burger without a bun again because that was a inconvenient mess.  What a pain in the ass.  This gluten free bs.  I'm used to living off of carbs and now I can barely eat them and I'm constantly hungry.  And I hate rice.  I'm pretty well screwed I think.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 01:16:35 am by Scottie J »

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #49 on: January 03, 2014, 01:27:16 am
Have courage, Scottie!  Remember back in post #20 how good you felt!

It's going to take some time to sort out, but you will get there, and before you know it you won't believe you were ever so gluten-dependent.

When you're feeling really shitty about it, have some pancakes!!!!

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #50 on: January 03, 2014, 01:43:20 am

When you're feeling really shitty about it, have some pancakes!!!!

Put a burger patty between them... :)

Btw, a bread maker is a good investment.  There are good mixes available.  I don't know of a good bun/roll for burgers, though, mostly because my wife's not very into burgers.  When I have one, I eat out.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #51 on: January 03, 2014, 02:15:39 am
Funny you guys should say that.  I ate a ham and cheese sandwich between 2 pancakes.  I tried to pretend it was tasty.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #52 on: January 03, 2014, 10:55:48 am
We were visiting friends who took us out for breakfast at a "farm stand" which is known for its breakfast and lunch as well.  One of our friends dared me to order the breakfast special, which was a bacon, egg and cheese sandwich... served on an apple cider donut.  It really wasn't good - as I expected!  But our friend is so nice and so pretty that even my wife understands that I was powerless to resist...

My wife has generally stayed away from packaged GF breads - she does buy one of the Udi's varieties, but she always toasts the bread before making any sandwiches with it.  But I admit it's not like the real deal.

There's some GF pizza crusts which aren't bad either!  And don't forget, corn tortillas!

Hang in there Scottie, you'll find your way...

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #53 on: January 05, 2014, 12:19:05 am
Went to Sprouts today to buy a bunch of different flours for a homemade G-F bread recipe only to find out they have ALL the Pamela's mixes!    :D   So I picked up a bag of the bread flour mix and I just put the first loaf in the oven.  I'm so excited as it's been over a week since I've had any kind of bread.  And I have to say it looked and smelled amazing just rising in the pan.    :)

Thanks Matt and Mr X for suggesting that product.  I love this forum.    :)

Scottie

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #54 on: January 05, 2014, 02:04:41 am
Yum!  This stuff is WAY better than any bread you can buy in a store!  Thanks again guys!    :D

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #55 on: January 06, 2014, 01:07:48 am
Scottie - that's awesome, and to be honest, I'm glad to hear it because most of the pre-made GF breads you can buy just aren't that good.  Flavor: ok, but texture: :(  ...which is why my wife always toasts hers!

Did you get the bread flour mix and just follow the directions?

We'll all keep each other going here, one way or another!  ;)

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #56 on: January 06, 2014, 04:36:21 am
Yeah, I got the bread mix and followed the directions.  AND I just done making some sugar cookies using the bread mix instead of regular flour and they are FANTASTIC!  I can't believe how good they are!

Scottie

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #57 on: January 06, 2014, 04:11:22 pm
Going in next week to a specialty clinic to have blood work done to see if I'm eligible for hormone replacement therapy.  I need to get back to being rip.  It's depressing to think I used to be able to lift a grown man above my waist and slam him on his head.  And now I'm just weak and pitiful.  :(

Scottie

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #58 on: January 06, 2014, 04:41:50 pm
If you are indeed gluten intolerant, you'll gonna have to dedicated yourself to a new way of thinking re. what you put in your mouth....It's not easy and depending on your personality it could be a real PIA for the individual as well as family members who are not afflicted...Just thinking of what gluten has done to the lining of your intestinal tract and overall health should suffice but some people are resistance to change and continue down the same old road...Alot of that depends on how sensitive you are to Gluten and what damage has occurred over the years...The good thing is that there are now real food options for people and it's not all in your head...Hormone replacement therapy - Why not tackle your new gluten free lifestyle first , maybe that's why you feel the way you do.....Dr. GreenMachine.. 8)
Oh Magoo you done it again

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #59 on: January 06, 2014, 05:41:05 pm
I've been gluten free since I started this thread (with the exception of one cookie that I regretted the next day) and already I feel 20 times better than I did 2 weeks ago.  Or even 2 years ago for that matter!  That's why I now need to get back into shape to get my COMPLETE health back on track.  I used to be an amateur kick boxer for 7 years and a pro mma fighter for 18 months.  I used to work out 2-3x a day 5-6x a week, 3000 calories a day and a rainbow of different vitamins.  I was 170 pounds of vicious muscle.  That all stopped when I took a manager position and started working 60 hours a week.  I no longer had time to work out, let alone fight, and that was the beginning of the demise of my health.  This was about 5 years ago.  Enough is enough.  I want my 8 pack back!

Scottie