Author Topic: Does Anyone Have Celiac Disease?  (Read 13148 times)

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #30 on: December 30, 2013, 12:49:51 am
My wife has been buying gluten free bread for 20 years...there was only 1 manufacturer of it then. Now, there are many and the prices have skyrocketed due to the demand and marketing...it's big business...There is no reason for it to be so expensive...she pays almost $9 for a package of 6 gluten free bagels...  ERC

It is expensive as hell.  Is she buying the Udi's brand stuff?  They're pretty tasty.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #31 on: December 30, 2013, 01:00:57 pm
mattz - Did you get a chance to figure what brand pasta you and your wife eat?
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #32 on: December 30, 2013, 01:15:57 pm
Hey Scottie-

Not yet... we're still down at my parents' place for Christmas!  We came down on the 23rd and we'll probably head home today, weather permitting (I have to go back to work on Wednesday).  I'll look as soon as I get home!

Meanwhile, my wife buys a slightly sweetened GF baking mix which is, as we've been discussing, on the pricey side, but it makes what I consider to be the best pancakes anywhere!  In my opinion there are none better - they come out somewhat thin and delicate, rather than thick and cakey, so I guess you gotta like 'em that way.  She loads them up with sweet, small Maine blueberries we pick ourselves and store (we've got about 30 quarts in the freezer!).  The same mix also makes yummy muffins (it does have some dairy in it):

Pamela's Baking & Pancake Mix:

http://www.pamelasproducts.com/products/baking-mixes/pamelas-baking-pancake-mix/

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #33 on: December 30, 2013, 01:46:24 pm
Cool!  Thanks!

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #34 on: December 30, 2013, 02:49:52 pm
Might as well say I've been dealing with celiac for a few years even though it's my married daughter that is afflicted..I'm accustom to cooking everything gluten free when she comes over and eat gluten free meals when I visit her...She had her own toaster for gluten free breads and she's a real stickler when eating out..It's  a  total life style change and it can be a real PIA if you  eat out.. Their are many places that state their're gluten free " right after they toasted some hamburger buns on the same griddle that your gluten free bread is now sitting on". Forget the pancake places and fast food joints (except the fries and then you need to see what coating are on those too..)...Be prepared to spend more money and see if your family can try to eat gluten free meals, at least as a start to see if you can incorporate it into something less problematic. ...Good luck and research your area...GM
Oh Magoo you done it again

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #35 on: December 30, 2013, 05:39:59 pm

Pamela's Baking & Pancake Mix:

http://www.pamelasproducts.com/products/baking-mixes/pamelas-baking-pancake-mix/

YES YES YES.  A thousand times, YES.

Pamela's is indistinguishable in pancake form from any other pancake...perhaps it is slightly "multigrain" in texture but it is absolutely wonderful stuff.  Like gluten free Bisquick.

You can serve it and people won't even know they are eating gluten free.  Every other pancake/waffle we've tried tastes like sand mixed with bits of paper.  But with a worse texture.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #36 on: December 30, 2013, 06:31:26 pm
YES YES YES.  A thousand times, YES.

Pamela's is indistinguishable in pancake form from any other pancake...perhaps it is slightly "multigrain" in texture but it is absolutely wonderful stuff.  Like gluten free Bisquick.

You can serve it and people won't even know they are eating gluten free.  Every other pancake/waffle we've tried tastes like sand mixed with bits of paper.  But with a worse texture.

It's the only pancakes we serve at our house, and whenever our friends come to visit, they beg and plead for them...

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #37 on: December 30, 2013, 07:22:26 pm
That's great, I can't wait to pick some up!  Can I find that stuff at most grocery stores or do you need to order it online?

Scottie

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #38 on: December 30, 2013, 09:10:21 pm
We get it at a local health-food store, but their website "where can I buy this stuff" search form lists Denver area Whole Foods markets, Natural Grocers, and probably every Kroger in the time zone.  Hopefully you'll be able to find it!

http://www.pamelasproducts.com/retail-locations/

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #39 on: December 30, 2013, 09:35:50 pm
The Amazon Borg has all you require. Coming soon by drone.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #40 on: December 31, 2013, 11:03:37 pm
I'm home!

Tinkyada is a rice pasta which we like just fine, although it's on the pricey side, upwards of $4 a pound:

http://www.tinkyada.com/

We found another brand, Sam Mills "Pasta d'oro", which is a corn pasta.  We like it better than the Tinkyada, not in the least because it's almost the same low price as wheat pasta!  We find it in many shapes at our local Maine "discount" department story (Reny's), but we also find it at at a nearby Ocean State Job Lots, which is a sort of discount, closeout place which sells all sorts of junk, but they have a big food selection (we also find lots of Bob's Red Mill grain products there).  We can find it locally for between $1.50 and $2 a pound.

The website isn't much help; it makes me think of Monsanto.  I wonder if Sam Mills knows that?  8) :

http://www.sammills.ro/sammillsusa-en.html

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #41 on: January 01, 2014, 05:44:08 am
Most of the better Chinese markets have a lot of various forms of pasta that is made from rice.

They usually cook very quickly so don't give them the old 5 or 10 minutes of boiling that wheat pasta takes or you'll end up with mush.  Rather tasteless mush at that.

Don't buy "mein" noodles as in "chow mein".  Buy the "fen" or "fun" noodles.  They are made from rice or mung bean starch.

To thicken gravy's and sauces of any kind, rather than using wheat flour, use corn starch.  It's gluten free and basically tasteless and used in almost all Chinese cooking.  It's also used in fresh strawberry pie to make the thick sauce that the strawberries are in.  Yum.

To thicken gravy or other sauces, first stir the corn starch into a little water and work the lumps out.  Then, pour it into the hot sauce and stir.  It will thicken it in a matter of a few seconds. :)
« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 05:46:23 am by Arizoni »
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #42 on: January 01, 2014, 03:18:01 pm
Most of the better Chinese markets have a lot of various forms of pasta that is made from rice.

They usually cook very quickly so don't give them the old 5 or 10 minutes of boiling that wheat pasta takes or you'll end up with mush.  Rather tasteless mush at that.

Don't buy "mein" noodles as in "chow mein".  Buy the "fen" or "fun" noodles.  They are made from rice or mung bean starch.

To thicken gravy's and sauces of any kind, rather than using wheat flour, use corn starch.  It's gluten free and basically tasteless and used in almost all Chinese cooking.  It's also used in fresh strawberry pie to make the thick sauce that the strawberries are in.  Yum.

To thicken gravy or other sauces, first stir the corn starch into a little water and work the lumps out.  Then, pour it into the hot sauce and stir.  It will thicken it in a matter of a few seconds. :)

Thanks for the tips Arizoni, however my wife is going to school for Culinary Arts and was quite an amazing cook before she even started.  She has always used corn starch for thickening gravies and soups., so no worries there.

Thanks for posting those mattz!  Much appreciated!

The other day when I was at store, I picked up some Gluten-Free Bisquick and some brand of GF penne noddles.  So far so good.  That GF Bisquick sure does make some good pancakes.  :D

Scottie

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #43 on: January 01, 2014, 08:10:55 pm
I had no idea Bisquick was doing a gluten free.  Hm.  Part of me doesn't even want to try because I want to give Pamela's my business out of sheer thanks for amazing pancakes.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #44 on: January 01, 2014, 08:13:40 pm
I'm still going to try Pamela' a try, but the bisquick seems to be fine in a pinch.  :)

Scottie