Author Topic: Does Anyone Have Celiac Disease?  (Read 13137 times)

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: December 28, 2013, 06:52:48 pm
I feel a little less stressed out today.  Hopefully it is celiac disease that I have, that would be a good thing.  Because all I have to do to feel better is change my diet.  If I have Chrones disease like they originally thought I'll be stuck taking expensive medication for the rest of my life.  And honestly, gluten is the only thing that I never tried cutting out of my diet.  I stopped smoking, stopped drinking, stopped eating spicy food, stopped eating fast food, all kinds of stuff, and just never felt any better.  And like I said in my first post, it's probably Karma for me making fun of people who are Gluten free.  I'm ignorant at times.  Oh well, what do you do?

Scottie

Friend of mine had the exact same situation...turned out to be celiac.  Diagnosed in mid 30s, with no warning of the onset of the condition.  Best of luck.  Sucks to say "hope you have Celiac's," but at least then you will know what is wrong and how to fix it.

PS. My celiac wife is annoyed to death by those who are gluten free by choice and for fashion...

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: December 28, 2013, 08:20:28 pm
My cousin as diagnosed with this several years ago, but as soon as he changed his diet, he improved markedly. There are grocery stores around here that carry a lot of the gluten free stuff. There are some pretty decent looking choices on the shelves. It really doesn't appear to be anything to get your panties in a knot over. Granted you can miss the white stuff, but it won't take long to get used to! Good luck and get better!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #17 on: December 28, 2013, 11:37:22 pm
Scottie -

Don't worry, there's gluten-free beer!!!

Celiac seems to run in my family, but I haven't had any problems... yet.  However, my wife went gluten-free when she learned that a lot of people taking Parkinsons meds had absorption wackiness due to the gluten proteins, and she stayed off it for a few years (the gluten, not the meds  ;) ).  She's on such high doses now, it almost doesn't matter anymore, but she still chooses to eat mostly gluten-free at home - if that gives you any ideas about how terrible being GF is!

I do know that there are varying degrees of celiac - the hardest hit really cannot ingest any gluten without serious digestive hassles.  These people often have their own toasters so they don't have to share with people toasting "real" bread and risk eating the crumbs.  But I've never come across that extreme.

I'm here to tell you that going GF is not hard, and it's no big deal, especially preparing meals and eating at home.  Once you get over the initial learning speed bump, and change a few eating and shopping habits, you'll hardly even notice.  Eating out can be more of a challenge, but as was said, more and more restaurants are wise to the problem.  It was harder 8 years ago than it was now.  The hardest part may be visiting friends or family for meals when they aren't used to making GF food.

Scottie, if it turns out you do have celiac, you will likely find that diet change makes you feel so much better so quickly that you'll happily make the pretty basic and easy changes you need to make.  The only real drawback is in directly substituting GF foods for non - it can get expensive (in the UK, the high cost of GF foods is eased by national health care subsidies for those who medically require it).

Good luck, and hang in there!

ps: we've tried just about every GF pasta there is, and we've stettled on one which is almost indistinguishable from the real deal - in both taste, texture and price!  When I get home, I'll check the brand and let you know...

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: December 29, 2013, 12:05:51 am
The prices are killer. You'd think if they eliminated the gluten it would be cheaper. From not having to add it. Less is usually cheaper.    ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #19 on: December 29, 2013, 12:38:58 am
Good luck with it Scottie . I know nuthin.  But you got best wishes bud.

+1, Scottie!
Glad to hear you saw the doc. Not knowing is much worse!
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: December 29, 2013, 01:00:25 am
Well I made a STRONG conscience effort to not consume any gluten today.  And low and behold for the first time in almost 2 months I haven't felt nauseous ONCE today!  Yay!  Maybe it's just coincidence,  but I feel half way descent for once.  Thank God.

And Matt, I tried some gluten free beer a couple months ago just because I like trying new beers.  I stopped and picked up a 6 pack of pale ale to treat myself.  O'Mission, you ever heard of it?  It's damn good.  :D

Thanks for all the encouraging words guys, I really appreciate it.  It's also nice to know my boss and coworkers are concerned as well.  My boss called last night saying "Hey I'm not calling to bother you about work.  I just wanted to check in with you and see how things went with the doctor and see how you were feeling."  That definitely took a LOAD of stress off.  :)

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #21 on: December 29, 2013, 01:55:13 am
Costs are weird.  It could be economies of scale - 1 pound of GF pasta produced and sold for every... what, I wonder... 10,000 pounds of regular?  Just a wild guess!

Scottie, I'll look for O'Mission - must be Irish beer?   ;)

And, I think you're headed in the right direction when the people at work are concerned more about you than work!  Good on ya', buddy!!!

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: December 29, 2013, 04:16:16 am

Scottie, I'll look for O'Mission - must be Irish beer?   ;)

It's brewed in Portland, Oregon.
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

heloego

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: December 29, 2013, 01:36:51 pm
+1 on your boss, bro!
Wish more employers were like that. 
And glad to hear of the improvement! ;D
'12 C5 Classic

AussieDave

• Grand Gearhead
  • How does this thing work?..Ouch..oh..
Reply #24 on: December 29, 2013, 02:06:55 pm
Scottie . Progress! Awesome !!!
Karma huh ? Could be any of us,
Treat yourself right !
You gotta bloke as your boss there I reckon .
"Glorious,stirring sight! The poetry of motion! The real way to travel! The only way to travel! ... O bliss ! O poop poop ! Oh my! Oh my!" - Toad of Toad Hall.

SRL790

• Grease Monkey
  • 1954 350
Reply #25 on: December 29, 2013, 08:08:08 pm
Scottie,

My Mother was diagnosed when she was 40 years old and almost died from it.  She was in the hospital and they were feeding her on bread and water???  The disease was not as well known back then.  Anyway, she is now 83 and probably fitter than I am!
Andy Wiltshire
54 350 Bullet, 62 Jaguar MK II, 68 BSA Spitfire, 69 BSA Starfire
70 Bonneville, 71 Bonneville, 71 BSA B25T, 74 Jensen Healey
74 Honda XR75, 81 Yamaha MX80, 82 Suzuki GS1100G

heloego

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: December 29, 2013, 09:14:34 pm
So if he wants to look like an 83-year old grandmother....  ;)
'12 C5 Classic

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #27 on: December 29, 2013, 10:10:09 pm
The prices are killer. You'd think if they eliminated the gluten it would be cheaper. From not having to add it. Less is usually cheaper.    ERC

I don't know if that's a joke, but...gluten's not something you have to add.  It's something you have to avoid through use of non-wheat ingredients, many of which are really expensive.

All wheat has gluten in it, and you don't "de-gluten" wheat to make a gluten-free product.  (and even if you did, that'd be another step in the foodmaking process, not an omission...) 

You use rice flour, bean flour, nut flour, potato flour...most of which can't normally imitate the chewy (glutinous) quality of normal wheat breads.  They have to substitute bean gums and the like to try and get the texture right.  Sometimes it works splendidly, other times not.

Scottie, as a first step I recommend trying "Chebe bread."  Made of cassava flour and cheese that you add.  It's a Brazilian party food, mostly.  Make little balls, sticks, or pizza crust.  Amazingly good.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: December 30, 2013, 12:20:50 am
Well I made a STRONG conscience effort to not consume any gluten today.  And low and behold for the first time in almost 2 months I haven't felt nauseous ONCE today!  Yay!  Maybe it's just coincidence,  but I feel half way descent for once.  Thank God.

Great to hear you're already having good days. Keep it up!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #29 on: December 30, 2013, 12:25:42 am
My wife has been buying gluten free bread for 20 years...there was only 1 manufacturer of it then. Now, there are many and the prices have skyrocketed due to the demand and marketing...it's big business...There is no reason for it to be so expensive...she pays almost $9 for a package of 6 gluten free bagels...  ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.