Author Topic: Southern get-together?  (Read 6451 times)

luoma

• Grand Gearhead
on: June 28, 2008, 08:36:45 pm
Now that we are getting some large numbers of people on the forum, and soon to have an association, maybe us in the southern states won't so much like orphans. I keep checking the community map to see if owners in my area are making themselves known, but so far no luck.

I hope that as more of us begin to show up on the map, maybe we can get a south-east ride together. Florida, Alabama, Georgia, etc. There are some pretty places to ride and camp here.

SRL790

• Grease Monkey
  • 1954 350
Reply #1 on: July 02, 2008, 05:11:13 pm
Luoma,

The response from the poeple in our area is almost overwhelming.  I'm always up for a good ride though.

It's about two days via Bullet from my place to yours or vice versa so maybe we could trailer somewhere and meet up.  I work in a power plant and it is hard for me to get more than a few days off in the summer months other wise I would take the time and ride over.

In this area I would suggest Two Wheel Only as a good place to meet up, or even at my house.  I have plenty of room to park if people trailer and spare beds too.  What do you have down your way?  Or maybe we could meet somewhere half way.

Krodaddy, are you still interested in riding somewhere?  Haven't seen you  on here in a while.

Just some ideas.

Andy
Andy Wiltshire
54 350 Bullet, 62 Jaguar MK II, 68 BSA Spitfire, 69 BSA Starfire
70 Bonneville, 71 Bonneville, 71 BSA B25T, 74 Jensen Healey
74 Honda XR75, 81 Yamaha MX80, 82 Suzuki GS1100G

luoma

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: July 03, 2008, 12:11:25 am
Hard for me to get time off too. I have been wanting to get to the British in the Blue Ridge, but missed it this year. Maybe next year, although it would be a long ride for me, especially if riding alone.

There are a lot of pretty areas between you guys and me. Maybe in the fall or spring, we can get a mini gathering put together for everyone who is withing an easy days'  ride from a specific location. A doable day for me would be something under 400 miles. Between 250 and 350 wouldn't kill me.

SRL790

• Grease Monkey
  • 1954 350
Reply #3 on: July 04, 2008, 03:24:23 am
Well Mapquest says it's about 400 and something miles from me to you via the superslab, so if we each ride 250-300 there should be somewhere we could meet up.

I need to look at a map.  Gotta be some thing interesting to go see.

Thinking on it,

Andy
Andy Wiltshire

luoma

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: July 04, 2008, 03:37:09 pm
If you go to Georgia State Parks on the web, there are a bunch of options that are within reach of us few in Florida, and you three in N Ga. There is also Cheha St Paark in Ala. Real pretty. Just north of Talladega.

I think there are a lot more RE owners in the southern states than what shows up on the map. I have suggested that one of the functions of our fledgeling club would be to contact everyone who has purchased an RE and inform them about the association, the forum, and encourage them to get posted on the map. A well-populated map would enable us to plan rides anywhere in the country.

SRL790

• Grease Monkey
  • 1954 350
Reply #5 on: July 06, 2008, 02:40:31 am
Cheaha looks really nice from their we site.  Close to the Barber Motor Sports Museum too!  If you've never been it is well worth the visit and, if you have, it's well worth another visit.

Looked at some of the Georgia parks too.  Some interseting historical stuff around that area.  Might be a bit hot at this time of year.

As well as putting themselves on the map I wish that that members would also put their location in their profile.  When asking for help it is good to let people know where you are located.  Sometimes I can't even figure out which country someone is in!

So who else in the area is interested?

Andy
Andy Wiltshire

bobhaub

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: July 07, 2008, 02:13:18 pm
I'm interested, especially in a North GA or WNC ride.  Maybe further south in the fall.  I'm near Greenville, SC.

Bob H.

p.s. Here's a shot of my '99 Bullet from a recent BRP ride.  We'll see if I can do the attachment correctly.

SRL790

• Grease Monkey
  • 1954 350
Reply #7 on: July 08, 2008, 02:37:20 am
And then there were three!

As far as the fall goes my current work schedule (subject to change at zero notice) shows me to be off on weekends September 13/14, 20/21, 27/28.  Weekends off will not roll around again until November.  Anyone interested in those dates?

In the meantime, Bob, Kroddaddy and I are only about an hour away from each other.  We could easily meet up for a day ride or even an overnighter at say the Blue Ridge Motorcycle Campground near Cruso.  I was thinking of heading up that way the week July 23/26 (Wednesday through Saturday) but would have to be home for Saturday night.  I might even run up further north to Rider's Roost near N. Wilkesboro.

Let me know if anyone wants to coordinate any dates and I'll do my best.

Andy
Andy Wiltshire

krodaddy

• Scooter
Reply #8 on: July 11, 2008, 03:28:53 am
Hello, I have not been on here much lately, been pretty busy with some other projects.
I can ride on most Sundays or Mondays, and would really like to get together with you fellows.
 I might be going to deals gap with some guys that ride Vespas on Aug.10-11. I'll be riding the Bullet so come on with us if you want. WARNING - - There will be beer!
 I'll be going to Mid Ohio July 24-28 so can't ride then.
I'll keep an eye on this forum so we can make a plan.
 Barry
Krodaddy

bobhaub

• Scooter
Reply #9 on: July 11, 2008, 04:59:36 pm
All of those September weekends sound good for me, but I won't know for sure until closer to that time.  I'm up for a ride the week of July 23.  I'd even be game for camping overnight.  I just need to replace some of my old camping gear.  Email me at bhobie at bellsouth dot net to exchange phone numbers.  Maybe we can meet up with Barry another weekend.

Bob

krodaddy

• Scooter
Reply #10 on: July 13, 2008, 04:24:05 pm
Monday July 21? Daytrip to the mountians?
Krodaddy

SRL790

• Grease Monkey
  • 1954 350
Reply #11 on: July 15, 2008, 01:25:19 am
Well it seems that my riding plans for the near future have been put on hold.

Left the house on my Bonneville Saturday morning to take part in a charity run with my wife on the back.  Didn't get a 100 yards up the road when I noticed a noise from the gearbox so shut it off and pushed it home. :(  (Initial investigation would indicate a chipped gear, happened once before).

No problem, wheeled out the Enfield, switched all the gear over and off we went.  Got to where the ride started (a Little over 40 miles) and the old girl was hot and wouldn't start again (got to get that mag looked at again) so we missed the ride. 

When she cooled off I got her started but noticed quite a loud knock from the lower end.  Called friend with pickup and took it home. :(   Initial investigation on this one indicates a failed timing side crankshaft main bearing so crankcases are coming apart.

So the good part of the day was that we then fired up my GS1100G and caught up with the rest of the ride in Helen, GA and had a pretty good day anyway :) but I've got a little work to do now.

So I know what you are all thinking.  Didn't he just rebuild that engine?  Well yes, but like a complete idiot I thought the main bearings seemed fine and did not replace them.  You can all beat up on me for my stupidity, but no worse than I am beating myself right now >:(  It could also be that something has slipped on the crank alignment and that caused the bearing to fail, but I won't know until I get it apart.

Anyway, no rides for the next few weeks.  >:( :( >:(

Andy
Andy Wiltshire

alwscout

• Bulleteer
Reply #12 on: July 15, 2008, 11:04:56 pm
I'll be getting the Green Weenie back from my Bro-in-Law (long story) this weekend and after I do a complete one over with the fluids and other maintenance I'll be glad to ride with some folks in the Northeast Florida/Southeast Georgia area.

My work schedule is crazy so I can't really plan that far out for a big get together but if ya'll plan one and I'm off I'll try to be there.

Adam
REA Member #10

luoma

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: July 18, 2008, 02:13:44 am
I'll be on vacation in Gatlinburg in August, but should have some free weekends in September. I think I'll print a map of the region and use a compas to set my distance perameters.

For anybody who is interested, the Thunder Beach rally is coming up in September. It is a three day bike fest in Panama City Beach. Tey hold it twice a year, once in the spring, and again in the fall. Kinda like a spring break for old fart bikers. Google it and have a look.