Author Topic: '55 Trailblazer for sale  (Read 5296 times)

flyboy

• Bulleteer
  • Keepin the shiney side up
on: December 26, 2013, 01:42:05 pm
Has anyone seen the '55 Trailblazer for sale in PA?...Scottie? Thoughts on price? ($6,500) Seems a tad high to me. He says "was" running earlier this summer. It is all complete and metal looks good. I think I'd be all over it at $4,500, or is that too high? I'm toying with either older Indian, or the Interceptor route.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #1 on: December 26, 2013, 03:45:39 pm
These twins were an evolutionary process, beginning with the earliest Meteor 500 twin, and progressing to the larger twins as time went along. There were other improvements made along the way, as well.
I tend to believe that the later model twin you can get, the better it will be.

If it's just the added power and speed that you are looking for, be aware that there are now Bullet performance products which can provide as much power as some of the stock vintage twins from the recent Indian-made Iron Barrel Bullet 500 or 535 single, in a lighter and nimbler platform, at possibly lower overall cost than restoring a twin.
If you are after vintage collectability, then ignore the comments about the Bullet above.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 03:48:27 pm by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: December 26, 2013, 04:10:07 pm
Just because "it was running earlier this summer" doesn't mean something bad happened after that.  I would look at it in person and see what's up.  Kick the starter several times and make sure the motor turns over.  If the motor is seized it's not worth more than $2K.

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

R1200RTMyP51

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: December 26, 2013, 09:21:38 pm
I saw one for sale on CL that's in Hershey PA…I'm sure that's the same one you're talking about.
If anyone wants me to visit it, let me know.  I was interested myself.
04 Bullet Military
06 R1200RT

flyboy

• Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: December 27, 2013, 01:27:33 pm
It is the Hershey, PA posting on CL.
http://lancaster.craigslist.org/mcy/4252708629.html
@ Ace: My desire is the vintage collectability you suggest, rather than performance and speed. Although it would need to be an everyday rider, not a show piece in the garage. 
I guess my quandry is total investment. Where I can pick up a clean, well running Interceptor for $9-12K, I would imagine I would end up investing $5K++ on this Trailblazer for restoration, plus the original purchase cost. The other issue is how available are parts for the Indian? Is this something I'd be getting into, when half-way restored I learn there are parts needed that I can't locate or would spend half my remaining life looking for?
I would be performing most of the resto myself, with the exception of the motor rebuild and gearbox, if needed. I'm thinking my $5k estimate is realistic?
Your comments are welcomed!
Happy Holidays,
Tim

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #5 on: December 27, 2013, 01:50:44 pm
It is the Hershey, PA posting on CL.
http://lancaster.craigslist.org/mcy/4252708629.html
@ Ace: My desire is the vintage collectability you suggest, rather than performance and speed. Although it would need to be an everyday rider, not a show piece in the garage. 
I guess my quandry is total investment. Where I can pick up a clean, well running Interceptor for $9-12K, I would imagine I would end up investing $5K++ on this Trailblazer for restoration, plus the original purchase cost. The other issue is how available are parts for the Indian? Is this something I'd be getting into, when half-way restored I learn there are parts needed that I can't locate or would spend half my remaining life looking for?
I would be performing most of the resto myself, with the exception of the motor rebuild and gearbox, if needed. I'm thinking my $5k estimate is realistic?
Your comments are welcomed!
Happy Holidays,
Tim
Scottie would be more aware of the parts cost for a twin such as you are considering. He's doing it right now.
The supplier for most of the stuff is going to be Hitchcock's Motorcycles.
I don't know if the $5k restoration cost is going to be realistic, but it might be. The parts for twins are not cheap, and you have to buy two of most everything in the engine, because it's a twin.
Be aware that they used the old alloy rods, and they are known to break them and they punch thru the engine case when they break. With alloy rods, getting new ones is pretty mandatory because they have a definite fatigue lifetime, and you have no idea how much they have been run, or how hard they were run.

They are very nice motorcycles. They look very elegant and have a lot of vintage appeal, and are the predecessors of the Interceptor, which is considered probably the best of the British twins.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

flyboy

• Bulleteer
Reply #6 on: December 27, 2013, 02:30:31 pm
Thanks for the comments, Ace.
Yea, I'm hoping Scottie will reply with his expertise.
I think the only way to go,  with the Trialblazer, would be a total engine rebuild from the crank thru the head. That would be the only way to be assured of what you got and how long it would last. For the same reason, I remain a bit weary of a restored Interceptor, unless engine work is well documented and performed by a reputable shop,  which is hard to find.
As I've always been a fan of the British 60's style (Interceptor) having owned Triumph's in the 70's as a teen, I've grown much fonder of the 50's era, since owning my Bullet.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: December 27, 2013, 03:10:19 pm
I just looked at the post AND THERE IS NOT A COLD CHANCE IN HELL that bike is worth $6500!  You can pick up a Trailblazer in that vintage for for $7500 completely restored.  For reference, $7000 is what I'd sell MY Trailblazer for (and I'm sure you've seen what I ride).  This is a classic case of someone thinking they own the most desirable bike around and because it's old it must be worth a fortune regardless of what condition it's in.  This is not true and don't let him tell you otherwise.  If he won't budge on the price, just kindly tell him that if the bike is still for sale in a few months (which it will be) you will contact him again to see if he's changed his mind about negotiating the price.  And this is even more puzzling.  He has the bike listed on David Blasco's website as well for $6500.  Hmmmmm.....

Like I mentioned yesterday, the only true way you are going to find out what the bike is really worth is to take a ride and go look at it in person.  You can talk to the current owner on the phone all day and still not know anything about the bike.

These are the things you need to look for.  Write or Print this out and take it with you when you look at the bike:

CONDITION OF CHROME:  Is it just dirty or is it pitted?  If the chrome is pitted it either needs to be replaced or re-chromed and will cost roughly $500-$800 to have a large box of parts re-chromed.  Another $400-$800 if you need to rebuild the wheels.  Even if the chrome is just dirty and not pitted, you'll have about a 2-3 week job trying to get all the chrome polished up again.  Take a good quality chrome polish like Mother's or Nevr-Dull and a clean rag and see if it cleans up.

CONDITION OF PAINT:  Is it dirty and have years of filth and just need a wash n wax or is the paint breaking down, losing it's color and deteriorating?  What year was it repainted (that's NOT the original color)?  If it needs repainting plan about $1800-$3000 for paint (if you send the parts to me I can hook you up, and anyone else on this forum ;) ).

COMPLETENESS:  IS EVERYTHING THERE?  If not, what's missing?  Is it a replaceable part or does it need to be found used and restore it?  To me it looks like everything is there.  So I wouldn't worry to much this part, but still take a look and see if you see any "empty holes" in the chassis.

DISTRIBUTOR:  What model is it?  SR2 or K2F?  Does it look to be functioning properly?  What condition are the points in?  Take a new NGK BH6S plug with you.  Can you get a spark out of a new plug hooked to a plug wire?  How about the other wire?  be sure to check both plug wires.  My mags problem was it had enough juice to fire cylinder 1 but no spark to cylinder 2.  Is it manual cable advance timing or automatic advance inside the timing cover?  If you have no spark it is very possible the magneto has failed and this caused the bike to stop running, but this isn't always the case.  If the mag has failed, it will cost you no less than $300 to address that problem.

CONDITION OF MOTOR:  Pull the dipstick and look into the oil tank.  Is there still oil in there?  How old does it look?  Does the motor even turn over freely?  If the motor does turn freely, is there oil pumping out of the return tube inside of the dipdtick tube?  If there's no oil coming out while kicking the motor over, there is an oiling problem which could have caused engine damage.  Also, when oil gets old and breaks down it starts to lose it's corrosion prevention characteristics.  If it is extremely old or completely gone, there is a good possibility for internal corrosion.  If this is the case the motor will probably require a complete tear down.  If the motor is seized and will not move all with the kick starter or trying to roll the bike in gear you will DEFINITELY need a complete rebuild.  It's also important to know if the motor was ever rebuilt in the past.  If it was, what caused the failure and parts were replaced?  A complete rebuild on these motors will cost you about $3500 if you do the assembly yourself.  This would include the new style connecting rods Ace was talking about.

CONDITION OF BEARINGS AND MOVING PARTS:  How does the bike roll around in neutral?  Does it roll freely or does it feel stiff and not want to move?  How freely does the headset move with the steering damper loose?  Do you hear any squealing, popping or cracking?  If so what bearing is it coming from?  Plan on about $200-$300 for replacing all the bearings.

LAST BUT CERTAINLY NOT LEAST, ELECTRICAL:  What kind of shape are the wires in?  How much rotting and cracking do see?  Are there any burnt wires?  Is the ignition switch and other switches there?  What does the rectifier look like?  Is the battery good?  Does it even have a battery?  Has the electrical been converted to 12V?

As you can see, if you just jump into a project like this it can really bite you in the ass if you don't thoroughly inspect the bike for what problems it has and what parts are missing.  Do your homework before you go to look at it.  Listen to what the owner has to say, but if it sounds like BS, it probably is.  Regardless, unless the bike is next to Pristine, it is NOT worth $6500.  Just off the top of my head, looking at the pics, and the complete lack of description by the owner, I'd say that bike isn't worth more than $3500.  If the bike ran like a top and someone actually took care of it, as opposed to leaving it sit uncovered in a garage for god knows how long, I'd say it's worth close to $6K.

Scottie

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: December 27, 2013, 03:14:32 pm
Also check out David Blasco's website.  That will give you a good idea of what other basket cases are selling for and how much restored bikes are going for.

http://www.royalenfields.com/

Scottie

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: December 27, 2013, 03:18:00 pm

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: December 27, 2013, 03:36:35 pm
NADA lists that bike at $6900.00 in perfect condition. The bike looks complete from the picture. That value is based on frame and motor #s matching. With what you will have to put in it. You'll be way over the value. I personally own a few of these bikes and would suggest you offer the guy about $3000.00 to $3500 for it in the shape it's in.  ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: December 27, 2013, 03:52:00 pm
NADA lists that bike at $6900.00 in perfect condition. The bike looks complete from the picture. That value is based on frame and motor #s matching. With what you will have to put in it. You'll be way over the value. I personally own a few of these bikes and would suggest you offer the guy about $3000.00 to $3500 for it in the shape it's in.  ERC

Exactly.  Some people just think they own a priceless relic worth a fortune.  Funny part is, these same people have it sitting in their garage like they are because they are either too cheap to restore it, or not smart enough to restore it.  But somehow, they still think it's worth a small fortune and should sell it for the same price as one that is completely 100% restored correctly.  I'll never get those people.  What I'm getting at, if the guy won't part for what it's really worth, then don't waste your money turning him into a prince and yourself into a pauper.

Scottie

SHIT!  All this talk about resto costs has got me wanting to open up my envelope of receipts and start adding.  That's a bad idea.  Or is it?  I have feared that envelope because I restored that bike without my wife having ANY idea what I was spending.  And now I don't even know what I spent.  Seriously. For 6 months straight, almost every paycheck I bought a new part.  Or 2 or 3.  I'm guessing about $2500, but I don't have a clue.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2013, 03:58:55 pm by Scottie J »

flyboy

• Bulleteer
Reply #12 on: December 27, 2013, 04:47:49 pm
Wow Scottie...excellent post, thank you so much for taking the time! Your comments are well-noted and appreciated. I hope others read this, as it is not only appropriate for this Trailblazer,  but to anyone who may be looking at buying a resto project. As I said, I thought the price was a "tad" high, but now I realize he's not even in the ballpark. Hell, it's not even the same sport!
It may still be worth a look to see the actual condition, since he's only an hour or so from me. But still, I heade your advice and don't believe I'd offer over $2,500.
Thanks to all for your comments. This is a wonderful forum with top-notch experts, who don't mind taking time to help others.
Happy Holidays,
Tim

flyboy

• Bulleteer
Reply #13 on: December 27, 2013, 04:51:51 pm
@Scottie: Yea, I did see the Interceptor in OR....beautiful classic!
Why did you think "more puzzling" due to being posted on Blasco's site? Just curious....

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: December 27, 2013, 08:12:24 pm
@Scottie: Yea, I did see the Interceptor in OR....beautiful classic!
Why did you think "more puzzling" due to being posted on Blasco's site? Just curious....

Because if he posted his bike on Blasco's website surely he had to have seen the other bikes in 100x better shape for the exact same price he is asking.  That's all.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #15 on: December 27, 2013, 10:55:51 pm
He might not even know his ad is on Blasco's site.
I think Dave runs a search on the various States CraigsList and links the ad's he finds to his site.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: December 28, 2013, 12:29:24 am
He might not even know his ad is on Blasco's site.
I think Dave runs a search on the various States CraigsList and links the ad's he finds to his site.

I didn't realize David did that.  If the owner didn't post it on there he definitely needs to take a look and have a wake up call.

Bumboo

• Scooter
Reply #17 on: December 28, 2013, 12:41:46 am
From a guy who's restored dozens of m/cycles (no REs but many early Euro and Japanese) I think you need to decide:  are you a "process" guy or a "product" guy?   I'm, fundamentally, a process guy that enjoys the project as much, even more, than the final product.  I don't think I've ever restored a bike that I couldn't buy restored for less than or just a little more than it cost me to do it.  Figure time and they're all upside down in cost vs. value!  With age I'm becoming more of product guy where I'm buying more bikes that are intact and roadworthy or restored such that I'm only adding my own finishing touches.  Mortality thoughts lead me to want to ride more and restore less.  A lot of folks who are not "process" oriented, however, buy a project bike because they don't have or want to spend the $ to get a road ready specimen.  They assume they'll restore them as time and money allows.  These often lie dormant in the garage never finished. You've got to love the PROCESS to see a project through.  If you're not sure what you are....start small with something inexpensive like a moped, scooter, radio wagon.  See it to completion and then you'll know without putting big bucks at risk.         

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: December 28, 2013, 02:03:52 pm
Blasco puts every RE for sale that he can find and puts them on his site to show a broad range of RE's.  ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
Reply #19 on: December 29, 2013, 05:18:17 am
pictures taken in a hotel parking lot in the back of a truck??
   If I wasn't local I'd consider this to be
    a craigslist scam.
'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: December 29, 2013, 02:08:42 pm
pictures taken in a hotel parking lot in the back of a truck??
   If I wasn't local I'd consider this to be
    a craigslist scam.

Maybe.  Or he just finished detailing it and was taking it to a show to display it for sale.  Who knows these days.  If it is a scammer, he sure had an eclectic list of other cars for sale, some of which aren't very desirable.

Mr.Mazza

• Grand Gearhead
  • Upside down thumping
Reply #21 on: January 07, 2014, 05:37:16 am
You guys don't relise how lucky you are :P

Enfield here and few and far between (Iron barrel) and only really 350s pop up but all going for 6K plus, in poor condition!
I'd love to get a Iron barrel and Fireball it but I can't even find a suitable bike for it!
Lizzy - 07 500 Deluxe ES - Red and chrome - Sold.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: January 07, 2014, 01:17:49 pm

Enfield here and few and far between (Iron barrel) and only really 350s pop up but all going for 6K plus, in poor condition!
I'd love to get a Iron barrel and Fireball it but I can't even find a suitable bike for it!

Yeah, well you get to swim with sea turtles and sharks.  I on the other hand have never even seen the ocean, let alone played in it.   :(

flyboy

• Bulleteer
Reply #23 on: January 07, 2014, 08:10:57 pm
Wait Scottie...don't you live in CO? Why would you ever want to play in the ocean, when you have those majestic mountains and endless scenic rides? Oh, and the recent legalization! Right on CO!!

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #24 on: January 07, 2014, 08:18:40 pm

Exactly my thoughts. And as for the '55, there is one fact I'm sure of, "They are not making any more of them". Someone will buy that bike.
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.