Author Topic: Practical?  (Read 3380 times)

Mr.Mazza

• Grand Gearhead
  • Upside down thumping
on: December 25, 2013, 05:40:14 am
Random thought of the day..

Think I'll be able to get away with riding my Enfield (When I get it) to my place of work? (I'm starting as a mechanic next year)

Just would suck to have to take my cage xD
Lizzy - 07 500 Deluxe ES - Red and chrome - Sold.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #1 on: December 25, 2013, 01:17:19 pm
If you can't ride your motorcycle to your workplace as a mechanic, then you either have the wrong motorcycle or the wrong profession!

:)

Home of the Fireball 535 !

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #2 on: December 25, 2013, 01:42:16 pm
If your new job is as a mechanic at the top of a ski lift, you might have trouble riding all the way to your job.  Or if you're opening a shop at your house, then riding to work might not be the most efficient use of your time.  :P

Otherwise, I hope so!!!  Why not?!?

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: December 25, 2013, 02:05:01 pm
Whoa.  WHOA!  You can't own an Enfield AND a Scion!  ;D  JK

Just break in the motor like you're supposed to and you can ride it anywhere your heart desires.  Use lots of Loctite and don't run it wide open throttle for more than a couple minutes at a time.  You'll be fine.  ;)

What kind of mechanic are you going to school to be?

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

Mr.Mazza

• Grand Gearhead
  • Upside down thumping
Reply #4 on: December 25, 2013, 02:09:48 pm
Whoa.  WHOA!  You can't own an Enfield AND a Scion!  ;D  JK

Just break in the motor like you're supposed to and you can ride it anywhere your heart desires.  Use lots of Loctite and don't run it wide open throttle for more than a couple minutes at a time.  You'll be fine.  ;)

What kind of mechanic are you going to school to be?

Scottie

I might miss the break in as a new Enfield is about 9k here.
Can get a 2012 with 4000kms for 7, more my price range.

My apprenticeship is just general Automotive (cars) but my workshop is high end stuff like BMWs, audis ect.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: December 25, 2013, 02:21:47 pm
I might miss the break in as a new Enfield is about 9k here.
Can get a 2012 with 4000kms for 7, more my price range.

My apprenticeship is just general Automotive (cars) but my workshop is high end stuff like BMWs, audis ect.

I hope you're going to be getting paid well.  Those are the absolute LAST cars I'd want to work on.  I also hope they are giving you a VERY extensive education on automotive electronics trouble shooting, you will be doing that every single day.  Coming from someone that has worked on cars since '95 and used to test drive prototype Mercedes I can say that BMW, Mercedes, VW & Audi have the WORST electrical problems.  Seriously, I've seen cars shut down into limp mode because the brake light switch was going bad.  German cars are automotive engineering art.  But when you have over 10,000 wires in a car, you are bound to have problems.  Great cars when they're working tho!

Scottie

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: December 25, 2013, 07:10:54 pm
I don't really understand the question. Why do you think you couldn't ride it to work?
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: December 25, 2013, 07:19:02 pm
I'm with Bare on this.  ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

Mr.Mazza

• Grand Gearhead
  • Upside down thumping
Reply #8 on: December 26, 2013, 11:31:53 am
I hope you're going to be getting paid well.  Those are the absolute LAST cars I'd want to work on.  I also hope they are giving you a VERY extensive education on automotive electronics trouble shooting, you will be doing that every single day.  Coming from someone that has worked on cars since '95 and used to test drive prototype Mercedes I can say that BMW, Mercedes, VW & Audi have the WORST electrical problems.  Seriously, I've seen cars shut down into limp mode because the brake light switch was going bad.  German cars are automotive engineering art.  But when you have over 10,000 wires in a car, you are bound to have problems.  Great cars when they're working tho!

Scottie

Yeah I don't mind complicated things, makes it more fun when you fix it :)

Bare, I thought it might be a little impractical for I thought I might have to carry tools ect.
But after talking with bosses they say only real heavy thing is my free toolbox (Go Government helps!) which I can keep at my place of work, which works out because I won't have the money for my Enfield until mid next year :)

P.S Scottie: I get standard first year apprentice wages, which is $360 a week for 36 hours, but I also get $140 a week from the Government so it's $500 a week, which is decent, so most of that goes away to my savings.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 11:34:06 am by Mazza35 »

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: December 26, 2013, 06:22:56 pm
Working as a mechanic, the only time you should have to haul tools around is when you change jobs! I always rode a bike to work when I was working as a mechanic, or anything else for that matter! I commuted to work on bikes for over 30 years.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

Mr.Mazza

• Grand Gearhead
  • Upside down thumping
Reply #10 on: December 27, 2013, 02:37:51 am
Awesome!
Thanks guys for clearing that up, looking even more foward to my bike now! Bought my helmet today, $200 marked down to $60!

Rich Mintz

• Grand Gearhead
  • Daily rider in the city
Reply #11 on: December 28, 2013, 04:39:26 am
Hi Mazza -- I ride every day, and I carry cargo too. I have some light-duty saddlebags that I can throw onto the bike (and sometimes I leave them on for days at a time) to carry groceries and so on.
Rich Mintz - New York City
richmintz@richmintz.com
2010 Royal Enfield Bullet C5 • 2015 SYM Symba
[/URL]

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: December 28, 2013, 03:04:54 pm
A backpack can be your BFF on a motorcycle.  I go through backpacks like my wife goes through purses.  In fact I even joke about my backpack being my murse.  LOL  It works great, I can keeps snacks in there, something to drink, an extra shirt, ibuprofen (or whatever you prefer), phone charger, my action cam, my lunch and whatever else I need to get to work.  I've grown so accustomed to having my backpack on me I even take it everyday when I drive my car to work too.  :)

Scottie

Scottie

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: December 28, 2013, 08:44:47 pm
+1 on backpacks. I carried my flight tools (Headsets, portable GPS, Timers, plotting tools. charts, etc) in my backpack when I was flying all the time.
Gotta dig that stuff out, I'm going flying Monday.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #14 on: December 28, 2013, 09:22:33 pm
+2 on backpacks.
I rode a motorcycle for 7 years as my only transportation, and a bicycle for a couple years after that.
I always had a small foldable backpack with me, in case I needed to stop at a store or something.
I consider it a necessity.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: December 29, 2013, 12:08:04 am
Funny I never owned one.  ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #16 on: December 29, 2013, 12:26:21 am
+3 on the back packs.
Now that I can mount bags and a cargo case I'll still be using it for spare clothing and a first aid kit.
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #17 on: December 29, 2013, 01:47:46 am
-1 on the backpack, I guess.  I can definitely see the benefit of having one on hand if needed in a pinch, but I really don't like riding while wearing one.  I never liked it when I used to bicycle everywhere (including from Illinois to New Jersey), and I don't like it on the motorcycle.  Saddle bags were my very first accessory...

azcatfan

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2002 Bullet ES
Reply #18 on: December 29, 2013, 04:35:51 am
Practical?  Absolutely!  That is if getting between 50-75 MPG is considered practical.  I've been riding my '02 iron barrel 4 speed as my daily driver for the last three months straight.  Only days I missed were due to rain and ice.

As far as carrying things I now have the Nfield Gear saddlebags, and in one of them is a small backpack should I need it.

Most of my riding experience has come on dirt bikes and riding trails.  I never used saddlebags or anything other than a backpack because I didn't want the clearance issues while scraping through the brush.  Having the backpack was great for carrying a cell phone, sammy, and a drink - was a good cushion to land on from time to time as well...
-2002 Bullet ES Up-Jetted with Ace Air Canister and punched HD Exhaust.

My MotoVlog Channel:  http://tinyurl.com/nnso3av

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #19 on: December 29, 2013, 01:05:25 pm
Having the backpack was great for carrying a cell phone, sammy, and a drink - was a good cushion to land on from time to time as well...

Ahhh, ATGATT!  Maybe I should change my tune - a nice thick ham'n cheese for lumbar protection!  ;D

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: December 29, 2013, 02:05:52 pm
Ahhh, ATGATT!  Maybe I should change my tune - a nice thick ham'n cheese for lumbar protection!  ;D

LMAO  ;D

azcatfan

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2002 Bullet ES
Reply #21 on: December 29, 2013, 03:10:22 pm

LOL :-D
-2002 Bullet ES Up-Jetted with Ace Air Canister and punched HD Exhaust.

My MotoVlog Channel:  http://tinyurl.com/nnso3av

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: December 30, 2013, 12:51:11 am
Ahhh, ATGATT!  Maybe I should change my tune - a nice thick ham'n cheese for lumbar protection! 

They call those fanny packs. They work well too. I use one to carry water on most rides. I used to put a few tools, etc, in it, but it's still to small for a coat! But lotsa room for the ham'n cheese! Quite honestly I usually forget all about it until I get home and have to take it off. Water untouched!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer