Author Topic: Goodbye Boston  (Read 9607 times)

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #15 on: December 26, 2013, 11:37:58 pm
No matter how much I try (as a semi-assimilated Neo-Rhode-Islander), 'gansett always tastes sickly-sweet to me.  Ugh.  I actually prefer to drink the in-laws' Ballantines.  Which is kind of scary.

But if you're in North County, Stone Brewery is a short drive inland from the coast.  :)

Of all the thousands of gallons of beers I drank all over the country from California from Eureka to Baja to Florida to Rhode Island & the whole MidWest & Southeast playing beer alcoholic from sometime in the mid-'50s to December 1986 when I quit EVerything, Narragansett had to be the worst of them all. Not only in the drinking, but in the hangover. The hangover from just TWO Narragansetts was not like a normal hangover. It was a horrible sledgehammering inSIDE your head.

Part of the original entrance architecture from the Narragansett brewery was made into a monument in the middle of the first & only rotary ('round-about) here in Narragansett (where it's fun to sit in the parking lot in the summer & watch people who can't spell yield crash into each other). To this day I have to look away as I go by it or I get a horrible head-hammer-hangover  ;)  :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXpaj8VgC1M
« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 11:43:54 pm by tooseevee »
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: December 27, 2013, 10:38:44 am
It's not all that bad moving to another part of the Country.  Sure I miss all the brats, and beer and.....  Wait a minute, that's right.  I can still buy brats here and Colorado has more Micro Breweries per capita than any other state in the country!  I miss the family from time to time, but I sure in the hell don't miss all the drama that goes along with it!  I'm doing all right.  :)  Everyone always wants to tells me in Colorado how beautiful Wisconsin is and I ask them "Really?  Were you there when the windchill was -50*F for an entire week?  Or how about how the humidity is 100% ALL summer long at 95*F with more mosquitoes the size of turkey vultures than there are fish in the Atlantic Ocean?"  Screw that place!  Change is good!  :D

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

redcat

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: December 27, 2013, 09:06:59 pm
Boggy must be working on his tan. 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
Watch out for the guy behind the guy in front of you

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #18 on: December 27, 2013, 11:52:43 pm
Hey Boggy

Some more words of advice:
Resist the temptation to write or E-Mail your friends back in New England to mention or show photos of you sitting beside the pool in your shorts, sipping on a cool one, with a Christmas tree in the background.

I know for a fact that people in the area ranging from the Mid-West to the Atlantic ocean have been known to build sculptures of Arizona buried under a 50 pound block of ice and California with a reproduction of the San Andreas Fault which they whack with a chisel daily hoping the West side will fall into the bathtub (ocean).

They seem to have no humor at this time of year when they think of a friend enjoying a sunny 65 degree day while they look out of a frosty window at the bleak, dark gray, frozen world they live in.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
Reply #19 on: December 28, 2013, 02:36:15 am
Haha. I stepped away to  8) and missed all the fun.

Narraganset is a terrible, overrated beer which  means it's perfect for the hipsters.  They can keep their PBR too.  Not when there was all the fresh Sam Adams and Harpoon you can drink.  The beer out here is fantastic for sure.  Lots and lots of quality microbrews.  I'm filling up growlers now which has been great.

Quite the romantic portrayal, redcat.  Yeah... maybe I would like to be back shoveling out the truck for the 3rd time in 24 hou.... NAHHHH.  I'll keep my perfect days thank you very much!  Man, the Callahan was my back up route home when the Tobin was jammed. Now there's now way out!  Looks like I just made it.  Everyday was like an evacuation scene in a disaster movie. 

I'm VERY very fortunate in that my work let me take my work with me.  8 years with the company and I'm incredibly grateful they are giving me this chance.  Working out of my house, east coast hours (which means plenty of surfing/riding time in the late afternoon!).

Hodads, I have been to down in OB over a decade ago on my first visit to San Diego.

Arizoni, I hear you about the photos.  People are cursing me left and right from back east.  I tell them, "you made your bed."  And then I go lay in hammock.

Thanks for all the good words.  Cannot wait to get out riding more regularly once I'm settled.  Got some new motocross bars on the Enfield and I'm ready for some SoCal scramblin!

This is a shot from Christmas day.  It's my miracle.

2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: December 28, 2013, 03:25:36 pm
Haha. I stepped away to  8) and missed all the fun.

Narraganset is a terrible, overrated beer which  means it's perfect for the hipsters.  They can keep their PBR too.  Not when there was all the fresh Sam Adams and Harpoon you can drink.  The beer out here is fantastic for sure.  Lots and lots of quality microbrews.  I'm filling up growlers now which has been great.

That's funny, I consider Sam Adams hipster beer and PBR for all the White Trashies like myself.  Sam Adams is awful, it is one of the very few beers I refuse to drink.  Here in Denver, no one drinks PBR but the Bikers and Hot Rodders.  In fact, you can go into just about any bike or hot rod bar and get a PBR tall boy for $2.  Nothing hipster about that.  LOL  Actually, Coors Original, PBR and Bud Light are the only mainstream beers I drink.  If I want a beer, I'll tend to buy a micro brew, usually an IPA of some sort.

Scottie

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: December 28, 2013, 03:36:38 pm
Never took a liking to Sam Adams anything but they advertise alot. Bud light is such a easy drinking beer that you sometimes you forget it's beer after you had two or three..Geary from Maine is good beer but haven't tried anything out of Rhode Island ....Haaaaaaaaaaa I remember it was such a big deal to get Coors on the East Coast back in the 70's...Coors - Nothing wrong with  Rocky Mountain Beer.  ;)
Oh Magoo you done it again

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
Reply #22 on: December 29, 2013, 02:46:14 am
That's funny, I consider Sam Adams hipster beer

If I wasn't such a cool, easy going west-coaster now, I would insist that we fight.  Actually, that is interesting to hear.  It's obviously local to Boston but I wouldn't see any local hipsters drinking it.  Way too pricey.  Or NOT pricey enough.  Whichever they are not resisting against at the time.  Like 'Gansett, PBR just does not taste very good to me.  Bud either.  Or Corona.  Not with all the limes in the world in it.

Actually it'd be interesting to know which cheap beer is the most popular here.  For cheap beer I'm a Coors man too, GM.  I don't know if there is Rocky Mountain water in there or not but those Silver Bullets go down quick.
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #23 on: December 29, 2013, 02:52:48 am
Last time I was in Ireland, there were only three beers whose availability you could bet on in just about every pub in the country we visited:  Guinness, Budweiser (the American one), and Stella Artois.  By far the most popular one every where we went was the Stella - followed by Bud.  The Guinness came in a distant, touristy third...

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #24 on: December 29, 2013, 01:41:33 pm
Guinness tastes much better in Ireland (Even better in Dublin, coz it's so much fresher.), but Stella is my 1st choice. Can't stand Bud.
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: December 29, 2013, 02:03:41 pm
If I wasn't such a cool, easy going west-coaster now, I would insist that we fight.  Actually, that is interesting to hear.  It's obviously local to Boston but I wouldn't see any local hipsters drinking it.  Way too pricey.  Or NOT pricey enough.  Whichever they are not resisting against at the time.  Like 'Gansett, PBR just does not taste very good to me.  Bud either.  Or Corona.  Not with all the limes in the world in it.

Actually it'd be interesting to know which cheap beer is the most popular here.  For cheap beer I'm a Coors man too, GM.  I don't know if there is Rocky Mountain water in there or not but those Silver Bullets go down quick.

Coors IS really, truly, sincerely brewed with Rocky Mountain water.  It's actually really cool to drive past the brewery (though I have yet to do an actual tour, always so busy).  The brewery is right on the foothills, Clear Creek comes down out of the Rockies and literally flows directly through the brewery, where the water goes purification and treatment and then used to brew the beer.  I'll try and get a pic of the Blackhawk next to it when the weather gets a bit nicer and I can get my alternator replaced.

For the record, I drink more micro-brews than any mainstream beer by a pretty huge majority.  One of my favorite beers now is actually brewed less than 5 miles from my home, Dry Dock Brewery.  They just started selling at to local liquor stores this spring, tho I've had it before that.  But I tend to buy something different most times I visit the LQ, and every couple of weeks I'll ask if there's anything new.  If there is, I'll usually give it a go, which is I how I found out about the O'Mission gluten-free beer (which still comes in at an ass-kicking 5.8%) available in Lager, PA, and IPA.

Scottie

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
Reply #26 on: December 29, 2013, 03:51:20 pm
Well good on you boggy!!  Moving to a more rider friendly climate
is GENIUESS. You will not regret it. 18 Months ago I left a lifetime
of cold, pissy-wet, dreary, gray, hot and humid central Illinois
for over 300 days of sunshine and less than 10" rainfall a year
on The Western Slope of Colorado. My wife has been back 4
times but I have yet to go.
    Enjoy the bountiful sunshine and the endless choices of
terrain. A mate of mine in San Diego claims that some days
it's hard to decide if you're going to ride in the desert, beaches,
or mountains!!  Tough choices, right?
    Good on You and don't look back - Mike
'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #27 on: December 29, 2013, 06:14:48 pm
San Diego has the best weather in the country...Irish beer I prefer Beamish but I've only found it here once....Redbridge is a good tasting Gluten Free Beer...Like alot of you guys I been drinking all those micro beers (huge selections)...Every now n then I get the urge for a six pack of Rolling Rocks or  Coors.....I never been a one beer drinking man...GM
Oh Magoo you done it again

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: December 30, 2013, 12:49:06 am
That's funny, I consider Sam Adams hipster beer

I do not think that word means what you think it means...

Sam Adams is not exclusive/trendy/crafty enough to be drunk by hipsters in earnest, nor cheap/blue-collar enough to be drunk ironically.  Whatever that actually means.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #29 on: December 30, 2013, 01:08:31 pm
I do not think that word means what you think it means...

Sam Adams is not exclusive/trendy/crafty enough to be drunk by hipsters in earnest, nor cheap/blue-collar enough to be drunk ironically.  Whatever that actually means.

Sure I know what a hipster is.  It's all those douchey a-holes I want to punch in the face when I go out.   ;D    You guys are all cool enough, but I've never met anyone I liked who drank Sam Adams.  In fact, I'm not sure why people even drink it at all, it's one of the worst beers I've ever had.  I'm pretty sure when the bottled beer expires they just mix it back into the "fresh" stuff.

Scottie