Author Topic: Goodbye Boston  (Read 9622 times)

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
on: December 25, 2013, 12:04:30 am
Wife and I had enough of New England weather and after 36 years we sold our place, packed our bags and headed west.  We are now located in San Diego's North County, 20-30 miles north of the city in a quiet beach town.

We love Boston and it was tough to leave family and friends but we are weather people and living for a handful of perfect days a year is nuts, especially when costal North County has them on tap.  Winter is 60's to 70's in the day and low 40's to 50's at night.  That means surfing/riding weather in the day and fire/good sleeping weather at night.

Cost of living is on par with Boston, aside from buying a house which it seems you have to be qualified to cut open someone's brain to be able to afford to do.  People are very nice too.  Hello's walking down the street and sort of shocking customer service in stores and restaurants, comparatively.  Driving, while being SO fast here is pretty civil with rarely a horn honk.  Not something we are used to.  Have to actively resist honking.

So Redcat + ERC and the rest of you nutters in New England, I humbly apologize for throwing in the towel.  I do.  I'm watching the weather back home and it makes me feel like I've abandoned everyone.  Still routing for the Sox and Pats... The C's and B's... but just from a little further away.  I will still have to fly in for my Fenway-fix next season.

Anyways - This has been a dream of ours for decades.  My good friend lost his wife recently and the one thing he repeated to me over and over again was, "life is short, don't wait for your dreams."  It IS short - and we had enough of waiting.  If you want something, go after it and don't stop until you get it.  Stop waiting... Tomorrow is too late for too many of us.

Be good.  Be well.  Merry Christmas everyone... Happy Holidays however you celebrate, and have a fantastic new year. 

Boggy

PS
Surf's up.

PPS
Bare - I'm looking for a DRZ400SM.  As soon as I get one I'll give you a ring.  Trying to get the Enfield sorted out but that's another thread entirely.  :P
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #1 on: December 25, 2013, 12:20:04 am
We knew it was coming, boggy - didn't we, gang?

Did you find a job, or do you work at something you could take with you?

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: December 25, 2013, 12:30:09 am
Good for you boggy!  For what it's worth, I moved to Denver from Wisconsin 4 1/2 years ago with only $380 in my bank account.  The first year was rough, but it was the best decision I ever made.

Good luck to you and your wife in your new home!

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #3 on: December 25, 2013, 01:13:19 am
Way to go boggy.

The longer your there the more you will enjoy it.

Just a hint from a "zonie":  Even though your roasting, put on your light jacket when the temperatures are below 50 degrees.  That way, the locals won't get the idea your from out of state, up north.

Oh, living in the San Diego area you need to know, a "zonie" (like in my website name Arizoni) is a person from Arizona who spends time (and fortune) visiting there in the summer.
They don't like our visits but they sure like our money. :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #4 on: December 25, 2013, 01:50:19 am
Good on ya, boggy!
I moved to Albuquerque some time back for the same reasons, bought a house and am loving it! Sure beats the heck out of letting the cold beat these old bones to powder.  :D
Now that I've been here in San Diego so often I almost (that's a-l-m-o-s-t) wish I'd moved here. Seriously more riding days.  8)
Congrats on the move, and pay attention to Arizoni.  ;)
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: December 25, 2013, 03:17:28 am
Good luck boggy I'm staying put. Redcat was riding on Saturday I guess he won't move either.  ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #6 on: December 25, 2013, 01:46:32 pm
Wife and I had enough of New England weather and after 36 years we sold our place, packed our bags and headed west.  We are now located in San Diego's North County, 20-30 miles north of the city in a quiet beach town.

Boggy

Good luck to ya' & I don't blame ANYbody for getting the hell away from the East Coast coast. I've been in RI since 1960 & have watched the State self-destruct year by year since then & still I'm here so I can't bitch. It's the worst state to live in by ANY measure or statistic.

I planned my escape for 15 years (to Baja) & then a bunch of monkey wrenches got thrown in.

Now I've spent 25 years getting my house paid for* & bullet-proof for the rapidly approaching day when I'm totally crippled & useless & have too much invested to move.

I applaud you for your big move, but my choice wouldn't include California (IF I could move). That state's full of more business, jobs & revenue-destroying lunatics than RI which is why both these states (& many others) are on the verge of total fiscal & budget collapse. 

* Paid off my 1989 fixed 30 year in 15 by cutting out tanning booths & haircuts   ;) 

RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: December 25, 2013, 05:52:58 pm
  Now I've spent 25 years getting my house paid for* & bullet-proof for the rapidly approaching day when I'm totally crippled & useless & have too much invested to move.

That  happens to most people..The years fly by and are lost forever for ya
15 years note is the way to do it.Works for me

So why was this song so popular
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDRLZFgEoGw
Oh Magoo you done it again

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: December 25, 2013, 07:06:37 pm
Boggy, Welcome to my world!
Buy a Eurobike if you can find something that will work for you.
Let my know when your ready to ride!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #9 on: December 25, 2013, 07:50:10 pm

So why was this song so popular
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDRLZFgEoGw

I remember the song well, but it wasn't specifically about Boston. It was about a girl who was just trying to get her wandering (as a lot of us were) boyfriend to settle down. In one place. I don't think he ever did. Everybody wanted to be in Topanga Canyon, Telluride or Eureka in those days. Still do, I suppose.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2013, 07:53:05 pm by tooseevee »
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: December 25, 2013, 09:03:08 pm
I miss San Diego so much.  From North County you'll definitely be riding on 74 (Ortega Hwy) soon enough.  :)  Also head down to Cuyamaca Peak and the Laguna mountains...towns of Pine Valley and Julian are excellent points to pass through.

Hit up the Chicken Pie shop in North Park for me sometime and definitely visit Ocean Beach for Hodad's burgers and Ortega's Mexican restaurant on Newport Ave.  While there take a spin out to the end of Point Loma to see Cabrillo national monument.

redcat

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: December 26, 2013, 06:21:37 pm
Oh yeah Boggy your enjoying yourself now but in a week or two you'll saunter into a packey and ask the clerk for a six of Gansett and all you will get is a blank stare. Then one day you and the wife will get the urge for a stuffed quahog or a nice bowl of decent chowder an there'll be none to be had, o yeah your laughin' now but there won't be any more Bulger Brothers or back ups on the Tobin. Your gonna be gone for the closing of the Callahan Tunnel and just try to find a decent St. Patrick's Day Parade out there. I give you a month and you'll be back here shoveling your car out with the rest of us with a big smile on your face!
 Good Luck Brother!
Watch out for the guy behind the guy in front of you

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: December 26, 2013, 07:28:52 pm
Well said Redcat.  ;D  ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: December 26, 2013, 08:19:11 pm
a six of Gansett

No matter how much I try (as a semi-assimilated Neo-Rhode-Islander), 'gansett always tastes sickly-sweet to me.  Ugh.  I actually prefer to drink the in-laws' Ballantines.  Which is kind of scary.

But if you're in North County, Stone Brewery is a short drive inland from the coast.  :)

redcat

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: December 26, 2013, 11:33:24 pm
you are completely correct AgentX there are several great beers brewed in New England and Narragansett is definitely not one of them.
Watch out for the guy behind the guy in front of you