Author Topic: Cannot adjust clutch on AVL  (Read 24026 times)

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #30 on: January 28, 2014, 10:05:07 pm
There is only so much movement engineered in a clutch pack. Warped plates infringe on that movement. Bad plates can make it impossible to adjust clutch correctly. You can check on any known flat surface.
2003 Classic 500 5 spd
2009 HD FLHT Police 103 6 spd
1992 Kawasaki ZG 1200 Voyager XII

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
Reply #31 on: January 28, 2014, 10:56:38 pm
OK - will do. Thanks.
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #32 on: January 29, 2014, 01:19:07 am
What symptoms appear if clutch plates aren't flat?
Warped plates will keep the clutch from disengaging.
This can make getting the transmission into gear very difficult and if the clutch drag is great enough it can bog the engine down at a traffic light.

It is a self destructing condition because the drag of the warped plates will overheat them causing them to warp more.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
Reply #33 on: February 02, 2014, 04:00:08 am
If your friction plates are worn out or damaged you might want to upgrade with a set of Barnett or the Surflex plates sold by Hitchcock's. I use the Surflex plates with no slippage whatsoever. I also have the upgraded clutch basket which has upgraded friction rings that are trued once they are installed.

Help me out with the lingo - I'm looking into buying new parts.  Nfield gear sells Barnett "friction" plates while Hitchcocks sells Surflex "Clutch" plates.  Snidal lists them as "friction plates" and "intermediate" plates.  If i'm replacing the plates, what am I looking for?

I have them pulled and they feel VERY stuck together so they may just need to be cleaned but since I'm in there I figured I'd upgrade.  I'll check to see if they are warped if I can, when I get some time in the garage.

Thanks.
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #34 on: February 02, 2014, 06:50:08 am
You have the choice to replace your friction plates with the stock 5 or 4 spd friction plates or the aftermarket Barnett or Surflex friction plates. You have your two dished metal plates plus your flat (intermediate) steel plates.
2003 Classic 500 5 spd

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #35 on: February 02, 2014, 12:40:13 pm
Help me out with the lingo - I'm looking into buying new parts.  Nfield gear sells Barnett "friction" plates while Hitchcocks sells Surflex "Clutch" plates.  Snidal lists them as "friction plates" and "intermediate" plates.  If i'm replacing the plates, what am I looking for?

Thanks.

Here are the 2 types of clutch plates on a bike clutch:
-Friction plates are the plates with the actual clutch material bonded to them.
-Pressure plates are the bare steel plates that go in between and on the outside of the friction plates.

Most times the pressure plates do not wear out, but they can.  Just check them on a sheet of glass or a mirror (as mentioned before).  If there is any kind of warpage in any of pressure plates, replace them all.  If this is the case, your best option is to order the "Clutch Service Kit", it has the friction plates, pressure plates and new springs.

Scottie
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #36 on: February 02, 2014, 01:43:23 pm
Technically the thick outer steel plate with the triangular hole pattern that the springs push against is your pressure plate. The steel plates that make up the clutch pack are specified as flat or dished.
2003 Classic 500 5 spd

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #37 on: February 02, 2014, 02:00:23 pm
Technically the thick outer steel plate with the triangular hole pattern that the springs push against is your pressure plate. The steel plates that make up the clutch pack are specified as flat or dished.

I'm surprised that you didn't add that friction plates can also be called fiber plates.    ::)

Blltrdr would also like to add that there are 2 different types of springs that come with the service kit, 3 heavy and 3 standard.  These are to be placed in an alternating fashion as to apply even pressure on the plates when engaging and disengaging the clutch.  Just ask him, he apparently knows everything.

Can I get my 2 cents back?  I want a refund.

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #38 on: February 02, 2014, 02:23:19 pm
I expected a reaction like that from you Scotty J. Boggy states he's having problems understanding nomenclature or lingo for the different parts. After reading your post I put in my two cents so he doesn't get even more confused.

And just to clear the air, I have never stated I know everything. I really only comment on things I do know. Unlike yourself who comments on anything and everything for the sake of being what you have described me...... a know-it-all. If you look at how many posts I have made over the many years I have been a member of this forum to the number of posts you have made in your short time as a member it is quite apparent who is who.
2003 Classic 500 5 spd

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #39 on: February 02, 2014, 04:00:26 pm
I expected a reaction like that from you Scotty J. Boggy states he's having problems understanding nomenclature or lingo for the different parts. After reading your post I put in my two cents so he doesn't get even more confused.

And just to clear the air, I have never stated I know everything. I really only comment on things I do know. Unlike yourself who comments on anything and everything for the sake of being what you have described me...... a know-it-all. If you look at how many posts I have made over the many years I have been a member of this forum to the number of posts you have made in your short time as a member it is quite apparent who is who.

I never said I know everything either, nor will I ever know everything.  I just enjoy how condescending you are about "lingo".  Apparently you do know everything about "lingo" because I've seen you correct SOOOOOOO many people on their "lingo".  I guess I didn't read as much on motorcycle education as you did.  Probably has to do with the fact I'm from Wisconsin.  We're pretty uneducated and behind the the times there, we're too busy eating cheese and drinking beer.

Anyways, to prove my point, I'm not the only jerk off calling the "steel" plates pressure "plates". explicit deleted

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/660419003/motorcycle_clutch_pressure_plate_with_super.html?s=p

The fact is, the "steel" plates keep the clutch "pressure" consistent between ALL the plates.  Why are you..............  Fuck it, it ain't worth my breath.

Scottie

I expected a reaction like that from you Scotty J. Boggy states he's having problems understanding nomenclature or lingo for the different parts...........

Seriously, who talks like that about bikes?   ???
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 04:14:18 pm by Scottie J »

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #40 on: February 02, 2014, 04:37:06 pm
You obviously have character issues, one being lack of character. You are a jerk and the way you attempt to attack me for no reason proves my point.

I spent a lot of time at Volk Field in Wisconsin back in the early 90's as part of NATO air ops. Met many locals while training there and never got a hint that any were lacking an education. That was a long time ago, maybe things have changed.
2003 Classic 500 5 spd

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #41 on: February 02, 2014, 04:45:25 pm
And further more this thread is 3 pages long and that was the 1st time I posted on it, which kind of negates your statement about me "posting on anything and everything".  I've received enough thanks from other forum members for knowledge I have shared with them.  If I'm wrong, I admit it.  If I don't have a clue, I don't comment.  If I've had a similar situation, I share my experience.  That's how forums work.  What are you anyway?  Some kind of Super-Perfecto-Steven-Hawking-English-Professor who can do no wrong?  Frankly, I don't care if you like me or not, it's part of the charm of being me.  But it gets under my skin when you tell people (not just myself) that they're wrong based upon your opinion.  You always claim that you try to help people by clearing the confusion, but then you use retarded ass words like "nomenclature".  "Hey Bob!  What's the nomenclature in these clutch plates?"  GTFO

Lack of character?  I don't need character.  I have personality.  And how do you figure I'm "attacking" you for calling you out on BS?  If I wanted to attack you I'd invite you to step into the cage or ring with me in front of a crowd!  I'd even let you choose the fighting style.  It's been a few years, but I reckon I could still knock some respect into you.

Scottie

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #42 on: February 02, 2014, 04:45:34 pm
Seriously, who talks like that about bikes?   ???

Seriously, who quotes Alibaba? Get yourself a parts book. Book + Read= Education
« Last Edit: February 02, 2014, 04:53:05 pm by Blltrdr »
2003 Classic 500 5 spd

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #43 on: February 02, 2014, 04:52:38 pm
When I watched your vid goofin on your bike in the snow I immediately knew there was some underlying issues with you. YEEHAW!
2003 Classic 500 5 spd

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #44 on: February 02, 2014, 05:03:14 pm
Seriously, who quotes Alibaba? Get yourself a parts book. Book + Read= Education

I don't generally read.  Any suggestions?