Author Topic: Rear Wheel Drum Brake Shoes Life  (Read 1818 times)

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
on: September 03, 2014, 07:02:36 pm
The rear wheel drum brake shoes may last several thousand miles, depending upon how hard or gently they are used.

Most of the time, I apply both brakes together. I like to use rear brake every time because it steadies bike. Occasionally it is used alone lightly if needed. Front brake does the major stopping. Just for reference, here are the pictures of rear drum brake shoes after 30,000 miles compared to new ones.

Even though they have lasted pretty long time and there was enough pad left, I changed them with new pads. Even when shoes do not need replacement, the drum is filled with dirt, grime, fiber powder and gets dirty. It helps to clean the brake drum/pivot points/ anchor plate from time to time for better functioning.   
« Last Edit: September 03, 2014, 07:11:53 pm by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 08:16:09 pm
singh5: Great pic and it looks like they wore a bit in the center/spreading outward..The rest of it looks well within spec by my eye. Do I need to put my glasses on? .. ..For 30k I would say, u did good and u probably could had done another 5k if u wanted..I'm sitting just under 12k  and maybe adjusted them thrice (tire/chain ajustments, etc. )..Am I to  assume they are OEM?  Summer flying by here...GM :-X
Oh Magoo you done it again

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 10:17:37 pm
singh5: Great pic and it looks like they wore a bit in the center/spreading outward..The rest of it looks well within spec by my eye. Do I need to put my glasses on? .. ..

For 30k I would say, u did good and u probably could had done another 5k if u wanted..I'm sitting just under 12k  and maybe adjusted them thrice (tire/chain ajustments, etc. )..Am I to  assume they are OEM?  Summer flying by here...GM :-X

GM: Your eyesight is perfect without glasses  :), the pads were thinner in the middle.

They were OEM, came with the bike - that was 5 years ago ! I am actually impressed with RE as both front and rear brake pads have done very well and lasted much longer than I had expected.

We are going straight from July to Autumn this year. Leaves are turning colors already and I saw leaves falling on the ground. Autumn is beautiful here with nice colors on trees and pleasant temperature. It does rain sometimes and soon it will turn cold.

Just a fluke that this week is a bit warmer than previous weeks of August - summer's last warmth and its way of saying good bye to NJ. 
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #3 on: September 04, 2014, 02:52:52 am
The way I see the picture it looks like there is actually very little wear on the old shoes.

I think they were designed with the local Indian riders in mind.  The ones that use only their rear brake to stop with. :)

I would bet those shoes would easily give another 20,000 miles of service before they were actually worn out.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #4 on: September 04, 2014, 03:31:27 am
Wow! Woooooo, I wouldn't need to buy these rear brake shoes any time soon  :D However, I am going to replace my front ones, just to have some mental security lol. There's still about 2-5k left on the front ones, but I've bought new brake pads anyway!
Sons continuing wars, our fathers were enemies